Cost of living malta 2016

Can anyone tell me if an income of euro 35,000 pa is ok to live on in Malta. For both my husband and myself.

I.e. Rent , utilities and every day living. We have assets in uk and so do not need to save any money. So it's ok if we just spend his salary to live on. My husband has been offered a job and I will not be working . Replies will be appreciated very much.

Unless you're expecting to rent a large and luxurious property you will do fine on 35k.

Thanks so much for taking the trouble to reply

That's like 2200-2400/month net (I think?). Really depends on where you live, how often you go out... it should be enough to live comfortably.

Hello Carolinesusan430 and welcome to the forum of Expat.com

I invite you to browse through this thread to have an idea of living expense in Malta :

Cost of living in Malta – 2015

Regards
Kenjee
Expat.com

In my opinion a sufficient salary is not a question how often you go out for lunch/dinner, where you go for shopping, where you live - but about how much you spend on more "expensive" things (that might not even be necessary at all).

What makes a life worth living - for me - includes hobbies like vacations and vehicles. I do not need an expensive apartment in the central area or restaurants every day, but I do not want to miss my "hobbies" which also cost me a lot of money every year ... not necessary, of course, but I do not want to miss it  :cool:

I would not want to live here with 800 Euro per month a spartan life ... in this case, I would most probably go back to my home country and continue working in a well paid stressful job ...

Where you live definitely matters. There are huge price differences between say Marsaskala, Sliema and Qawra... Some nicer (read no problems with heating, cooling, newly furnished, views, no noise from neighbors) properties can easily cost > 1000/month alone.

But yea. Travel/holidays is a considerable expense that many expats seem to "forget".

Eating out... it depends. Twice a week at a half decent restaurant for two people easily adds up to 3.5-5k/year. Like you said - not a necessary expense.