Considering a move to Dubai

Hi there,

Recently, I have been offered to work in Dubai, before i made my decision, I would like to explore more in getting to know what would be the living standard in Dubai.

Is there anyone can brief me what likely would be a cost for one bed room apartment in Dubai? I will be moving in together with my wife.

adn second question, how much do you think it will cost average for month living in Dubai. Considering dining out during week off while cooking ourselve during week day.

Hi there,

My brother just recently moved to Dubai and he mentioned that it's not that bad. Life in Dubai is pretty much better than staying in Philippines. Just keep your spirit up in your new endeavour.

Hi "getting Nervous!" I'm in the same position. I have been offered a teaching job and am about 50% excited, 50% scared. Are there any women out there who can address what life is like for a single woman? Are there restrictions I should know about? Will I be safe, providing, of course, I use good sense?

There are tens of thousands of single women from all over the world living in Dubai who move around freely on their own. It's one of the world's safest cities so if, as you say, you use good sense you'll be fine.
Restrictions are not severe - just dress sensibly, behave sensibly, don't get drunk.

I lived in Dubi. Forget about it. Life there is horrible. Give up all your freedom, let the government control your life - pay $800 for a bed (not your own room) to sleep on. Wonderful place. I lived there for 6 months - rent free - in a 6 million dollar home on Palm Jumeriah. I had access to 3 expensive cars and earned $10,000 a month. Needless to say, you will not find a job like this in Dubai. Even at this salary - I would not stay or return there again. The government has made a lot of crucial mistakes, and the country is beginning to pay for these mistakes. They will not recover. Don't go looking for your dreams or even a good time in Dubai. You will be severly dissapointed - and HOT!

zorillo, you reply is toooooo late.
your experience seems to be unique and could not be generalised

hey don't be nervous ... i just moved here for a month or so and things seem to be working out fine. one bedroom apartment in marina will cost you 70k - 90k AED, and you may find studio apartments at 60k or lower.

As for dining if you eat outside, it's gonna be 50 AED to 100 AED, 70~80 on average. if you have time to cook expect it to be much cheaper.

good luck!

Hi there,
I moved here from the UK 2 and a half years ago.
I believe a visit would help you a little but as I have experienced, a holiday is not the same as a move! It took me about 18 months to settle here as im sure any long distance move would.
Dubai has its good and bad points like any other. Is you wofde planning to work here also? If so, it is easy and fairly cheap to hire some help here to help maybe pick up the kids from school or do some cleaning for you.
You will experience an amazing lifesyle, sun, sea, sand! On that point, you should know that in the main summer months, July and August, its reaches 50 degress and the humidity is extremly high so you litrally want to be out the house into the car and no longer outside.
Dubai is a much safer place for kids and they have waterparks here and entertainment in the malls for them. Prices are pretty steep here for example, I would say they add 30% to 50% on some clothing if you wish for designer, I understand they are quite cheap in the US. But thats only if you opt for those, you can get cheaper clothing if you go to the right places.
It is not very strict here, so long as you respect the country and culture, you will be fine. They do not allow any public displays of affection towards your wife but you can hold hands. If you enjoy the odd drink,you can buy alcohol in the airport upon arrival and you can go to a sort of off licience so long as you have a liqour licence which you can buy here. All hotels serve alcohol too.

I hope this has helped a little, if you have any others questions you can think of then please ask. Good Luck!!

Hello,
I'm a french teacher, I live actually in Louisiana and I will move to Dubai in august. If I work in Dubai (French International School), in wich part should the best to live with my family (2 kids 8 and 9)? I was thinking about Sharjha(outside of Dubai, not far from the shore), because our salary is not so high and we need a 3 bedroom apt.

Thanks for the infos you gave on the forum.

A+

Fred

Hi Fred,
Congratulations of your new job in Dubai!
I have tried to google the school to find out the exact location as I am not familiar with it (Dubai Academic City, Al Ruwayyah), however I can not seem to locate it exactly to advise you. Do you know how far is it from Sharjah? The reason I ask is that you should be prepared for traffic when you get here as its particuarly conjested as people travel to and from work. Many people here live in Sharjah and work in Dubai as the rent is much cheaper. So long as you dont mind traffic then Sharjah would be the cheapest place for rent. Have you had any quotations for rent prices? All I would say is shop around for these to find your best deal. Prices of appartments have decreased since the economic crisis hit so you might be lucky and find a good deal.
Will you be driving when you get to Dubai? Petrol is very cheap here so that shouldnt be a concern to you. For example, we can fill up our 4x4 for AED 100!
I would advise you to do as much googling as possible and check out the videos on Utube. This place will be a fantastic experience for you and your family shortterm but be prepared that it will take some time to settle into.
Any other questions you have then just send me a list to my inbox and I will do my best to answer them.
Good Luck!

Fred, if I have the right one the school is near Arabian Ranches, which is in New Dubai where all the new developments are. Sharjah is the other side of the city of Dubai so it's quite a drive. Rents are cheaper in Sharjah and many people moved there a few years back when rents in Dubai hit the roof. Rents have been coming down over the past year and people are moving back to avoid the commute, which can take hours.

For example, some friends who were commuting from Umm Al Quwain (further on from Sharjah) have just moved back to Al Quoz in Dubai, where a 2 bedroom villa is now the same as they were paying in UAQ.

If you look here: http://www.bayut.com/uae_directory/duba … -3121.html

you'll see it located on an interactive map which will help you get your bearings.

You could check the rents in nearby places such as Al Barsha, Al Quoz, Dubai Marina, Jumeirah Lake Towers to see whether they match your budget.

The easiest place to look is probably the classified ads in Gulf News at www.gnads4you.com/properties