Open a bank account

Hi all,

Shall move to HCM city on May 2016. Looking for an apartment seems not so difficult but some questions

- To open a bank account what shall I need for address proof, 3 months visa enough, other documents?
- Also is it easy to have an internet connection at home and how much does it cost ?

Thanks

Plenty of apartments for rent around and also check this website for adverts for apartments.

Bank accounts are currently a real pain in the a*** and to open a bank account you will need to show your rent book, electric bills in your name and maybe a water bill too - and all within the last three months. You will probably also need to give them a notarised copy of your passport.

This isn't just Vietnam, it's happening all over the world. I have had an account with HSBC in UK since 1968 and they still made me produce all that bureaucratic nonsense late last year.

We recently opened a business account with HSBC in Hong Kong and had the same hassle and in addition they wanted to see evidence of office rental for the company. Like many companies we (the three partners) all work from home and our office address is that of our accounts, a long established firm of accountants and lawyers in HK. In vain out HK partners told the idiots at the HSBC main branching Honkers that the electric and water charges are in with the rent in HK and that in Vietnam, my wife (like most vietnamese wives) takes care of the bills so her name is on the account. And also because we have her niece staying with us whilst she is studying at university - because my wifes name is on the account and not mine - we get a discount from our water bill. (Foreigners are entitled to sweet FA in Vietnam).

Internet is dead easy, just get one of the major suppliers to hook you up Google is your friend.

However for all this you would be wise to have a Vietnamese friend with you as foreigners are seen as low hanging fruit in Vietnam and you might end up, for example, as I did when I requested the cable TV company run the cable to all four bedrooms in our house. The technician told me that I was too lazy, shouldn't watch TV in bed and should watch it downstairs like everyone else in Vietnam.

Likewise the internet connection which I wanted upstairs in the second bedroom, which I use as a study - instead of installing a proper socket connection in the wall, there are two wires sticking out of the wall about 10 cm long, so thats where the wifi router has to go. "Why you need to use internet on top floor? bedroom for sleeping not use internet"

JIC (Just In Case) Shorty shuts me up for (seeming to..?) wonder & wander off topic, this post is only to reinforce the fact that Matt's missives can be taken as gospel.  He's bin there & dunnit...

As for banks..?   Go ogle on goog.   Our new God..?   Anyone with half a clue has already left the banks and (ahem) 'invested elsewhere'   (try lateral thinking)   Or remember Cyprus, Greece, maybe the early days of the GFC..?   I'm sure it (might?) click sooner rather than later.   They can't keep printing money forever.   Or can they..?    Anyway, the new trinity is now gold, cash & assets in equal amounts.

Meanwhile, back at the banks, try the travel cards.   Even if the sky does fall, you don't need to meet in international waters in rowboats to avoid CIA surveillance...    Drones are the new drama.   A joke..?

We'll see.   Walnuts anyone..?    Yes, frenemies, they have been sourced...   Locally.  With various varieties too, like Californuts or Chinuts.   The China ones are super-fresh.   Eat yer hearts out.

Give us a Californut locstat please oh numinous one (her indoors won't buy anything from China).

Hmmn...?   Ok.   The vendors are next to each other, so (maybe?) you could at least mix the kernels..?

(the difference in quality is too obvious to ignore)    ..not to mention fresh..?

The GPS coordinates are: 21.0382N  and 105.8500E   For those less edified, it's the Dong Xuan market at the corner of Hang Khoi & Hang Ngang.   For those even less so, it's the Northern side of the old quarter of Hoan Kiem, 2 streets South of the train station.

Yes children, it's Ha Noi.   True Heaven is a place on Earth.

Just inside the main entrance the food of the gods are displayed.

Enjoy.

Bazza139 wrote:

Hmmn...?   Ok.   The vendors are next to each other, so (maybe?) you could at least mix the kernels..?

(the difference in quality is too obvious to ignore)    ..not to mention fresh..?

The GPS coordinates are: 21.0382N  and 105.8500E   For those less edified, it's the Dong Xuan market at the corner of Hang Khoi & Hang Ngang.   For those even less so, it's the Northern side of the old quarter of Hoan Kiem, 2 streets South of the train station.

Yes children, it's Ha Noi.   True Heaven is a place on Earth.

Just inside the main entrance the food of the gods are displayed.

Enjoy.

Hanoi, eh? A couple of thousand kilometers from here! Oh well, I will load the coords into my Garmin and next time I am in Hanoi, I'll be feasting on nuts, wall scoffing for the purpose of. I won't take my wife. She can't use a GPS anyway, but she won't buy Chinese. She isn't coming with me on my next trip to Beijing. Oooh la la!