Buying a car in Italy

Hi I am an Australian Citizen living in Milan, who has recently recieved my permission of stay (permesso di siggiorno). I am looking for anyone that knows the process of purchasing a new or used car in Italy. I heard somewhere that I need a residence certificate is that true? I am planning on living in Italy for at least another 2 years so I would imagine I would have to apply for an Italian license aswell as my international one is only valid for 1 year.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Bessyboo,

I think you do need the Certificate of Registraion "...for many important transactions..." (see below).  I have to apply for one soon as I have just foun dout recently :)
italy.angloinfo.com/countries/italy/residency.asp

EU Nationals Moving to Italy

European Union citizens (cittadini comunitari) may enter Italy with a national identity card or valid passport. EU nationals staying for less than three months must report their presence to the local Police authorities. They must fill in a Declaration of Presence form (Dichiarazione di Prezensa) which is then stamped and a copy issued to the applicant. This copy must be presented to the Police on request.

* The declaration of presence form can be downloaded: Click here (PDF)

EU nationals who move to Italy to live, work or study for longer than three months should register at the Anagrafe (Attestazione di Iscrizione Anagrafica). When registering they must be able to prove that they live, work or study and have sufficient financial means and health insurance. A certificate of registration is necessary for several important transactions including buying a car in Italy.

* Information from the Polizia di Stato for EU citizens: Click here
    * Application for a Certificate of Registration: Click here (PDF)

Cheers,

Rainman8