Importing a Car

I have been given a container by my company to import my belongings from the UK - realistically I will fill a small fraction of this box. Should I therefore take this opportunity to import a car? Even is it is to then sell on, is it worth the effort?
I understand that said car can not be more than 7 years old and I must have owned it for x amount of years. Many thanks in advance for any advice on this.

Yes car must be under 8 years old
I imported one which I had brought 3 months earlier but you will need to pay the import tax
I believe if you are a Kenyan national and owned it for a couple of years can you import it without tax but I am not sure

Yes the car must be a maximum of 8 years old and right hand drive.  Duty and charges may apply, which is around 75% of the vehicles value as assessed by Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA). Duty has recently been recalculated so the luxury vehicles have somewhat lower duty and smaller cars, relatively higher duty.  There are a few circumstances where duty is exempt.  It is worth checking the KRA website to see whether you qualify.

All vehicles for export must be inspected (usually by Jevic), then exported within 3 months.

Is it worth importing? Well vehicles are very costly indeed in Kenya. As an example, we imported a VW Touareg in 2009. Having driven it around since then, it is still worth more than the original price plus import (excluding running costs).  It also depends upon the make/model. If it is a type that is rare in Kenya, servicing and parts may be difficult.

Diesel particulate filters tend to clog rapidly, here, leading to costly repairs. They should be removed prior to shipping.

Thanks Dave -
I thought if you were new to Kenya you are allowed one car for import, duty free?

Longonot -
Thanks for the detailed and helpful response. I would be looking for a Toyota 4x4 as I know there are ample spare parts out here. So it appears to be worth the trouble and a good investment, especially if I can get it in duty free?

If you are new to Kenya, you do not have the right to import a vehicle duty free.  This only applies to returning residents who have been continuously out of Kenya for 2 years or more and who have owned the vehicle for over one year.

There are some other categories for which vehicles can be imported duty free; diplomats can import one personal vehicle (with restrictions) and I believe that NGO's can import company vehicles (but not personal cars) duty free.

Toyota is a good choice, as there is a good dealership network and as you say, parts are easy to obtain (but there are also many fakes).  It depends which model you wish to bring.  Rav4 and HiLux double cab are certainly worth considering.  The Landcruiser is also very popular, though some say that the UK spec vehicles don't cope as well as those imported from Japan.