Import Pet Through Jeddah

Salaam Everyone!

I am looking for some additional information or some personal experiences about importing dogs through Jeddah, preferably from the USA. I am curious to know what airlines you utilized and outside of the USDA papers, vet's letter, and import permission from the Ministry - is there anything else needed (i.e. layover in Germany).  I have a short-haired Shiba Inu who I am looking to import into KSA through Jeddah.

P.S. I'm coming on a residence visa with my husband (who is a Saudi citizen); no company assistance or sponsorship.

I am bringing my dog from Houston. They generally go through Amsterdam because there is a big pet hotel there.

Pet relocation In Austin is handling. They are flying the dog to Riyadh, and transpoeted to Jeddah. Pet relocation didn't renew the contract with the receiving  agent in Jeddah.

The dog is being sent as a guard dog because it can get through customs quicker.

Paul -

Thank you so much for your reply! My vet has agreed to write a letter for customs in Saudi declaring my dog as a guard dog and I have my in-laws who are willing file the request for import. My vet is familiar with the APHIS 7001 form, and has already contacted the local USDA office.

Truly baffling is the fact that the import permit / APHIS form is only valid 10days.

I spoke with Lufthansa today and they stated it would only cost about $200 to transport in cargo on the same flights as my husband and I. They also stated they just need our vaccinations, USDA papers, and import permits. They also stated that during the layover in Frankfurt that they have vets and handlers who will feed, water,  and will even bathe/clean my dog and crate.

Great.

Just remember I believe Saudi Air cargo handles all the airline's cargo coming into Jeddah.  I believe that Lufthansa needs to get confirmation from them to send the dog from Frankfort to Jeddah.

Finally, please make sure that the destination is correct.  Have someone translate the paperwork for you.

I would bring dog food from the states.

Paul,

Have you already made it to Saudi successfully with your dog?

My husband is Saudi so the paperwork doesn't seem to the issue; and we have a vet contact from the MOA who we're trying to work with. I spoke with Sarah from Pet Relocation and I'm just not sure how I feel about having my dog transported alone to Riyadh to Jeddah

I used them for Singapore and are planning to use them in late June when the rest of my family comes.

My dog went to Amsterdam and then went to Singapore.  He wasn't happy when we saw him in Singapore quarantine, but he recovered when we brought him home.

Hi there AmericanHijabi,

I am wondering how did it go with the relocation? Did it went well? I am bringing in my cats into KSA but still in the early stage, I haven't initiated anything so far but it would be great if you could share some insight into this matter? Thank you in advance for considering.

Dogs are a far more complicated process but ALHAMDULILLAH, we arrived safely. I wrote about it on my blog and for The Blue Abaya.

My import permit was rejected from the MOA in Jeddah because they said my dog was a banned breed, but I was able to get it issued through MOA in Dammam and imported through Dammam and then transferred the next day to Jeddah.

Alhamdulillah that's good to know! I've came across your post while looking for more info online - very good write-up. It seems to me that the best way to go about it is via MOA in Dammam. I'm a little bit worried with the clearance from KSA side when receiving the furballs. I have quite a good support system from the departure location but not so much here on the arrival location.

Any specific tips when dealing with MOA in Dammam?

There are far less restrictions when it comes to importing cats. Which city will you be residing in?

I ask because when having the import permit issued by the MOA, you have to import through the city in which it's issued. So if the MOA in Dammam issues the permit, you would need to fly into Dammam - and then make necessary arrangements to transfer to another city if you need to.

I think the most important thing to be mindful of is, you're working with a government official and to be kind and courteous.

Yes, MOA Dammam would be the nearest to me since I'm residing in Jubail. Thanks for the tips, I will give it a go and I hope things will turn out good insyaallah.

AmericanHijabi wrote:

There are far less restrictions when it comes to importing cats. Which city will you be residing in?

I ask because when having the import permit issued by the MOA, you have to import through the city in which it's issued. So if the MOA in Dammam issues the permit, you would need to fly into Dammam - and then make necessary arrangements to transfer to another city if you need to.

I think the most important thing to be mindful of is, you're working with a government official and to be kind and courteous.

Hi again AmericanHijabi,

Just an update that I have submitted the Import Permit application form with scanned copies of all of the required documents to Dr. Edreess and Dr. Tariq in MOA Dammam; together with necessary info of the two cats that I am bringing in - now what should I do? What nature of follow-up with the docs - from my side - is acceptable?

When and if the permit is issued (I have requested for a scanned copy in my email to the docs), is it a must to collect the original at MOA Dammam or can I go directly to Dammam Airport Cargo with the scanned copy print-out? Other thoughts that I also have now is on the receipt of the cats in Dammam Airport Cargo later - how can I locate the place and who should I contact, what is the procedure etc.

Hope that you would be able to shed some light, thanks for considering!

After emailing Dr Tariq and Dr Edress, they typically have a fairly quick turn around time during regular business hours. I would suggest keeping an eye on your email and spam; if they don't provide a response  within 2business days - follow up. (I got a response in less than 30mins)

The scanned email copy will be enough to utilize because the doctor will typically send the actual copy over to airport on your behalf, just print it out in color. . When you go to pick up your fur babies, they can usually direct you where exactly to go; my dog was waiting for me (in his cage and like 4airport security guards gawking at him) at the baggage claim. You will show them your permit, they MAY ask a question but it's fairly easy to claim. You will them process through customs, and they are likely to scan the cage, but it doesn't always happen.

Let me know if I missed anything! ...and please, keep me updated - sending prayers your way, for a safe and smooth transition!

Thank you very much AmericanHijabi! I will keep you posted on the progress, especially if there are changes or updates to the procedures. Hope everything goes smoothly too. Thanks again and God bless you  :)

Hi there AmericanHijabi, 

I managed to get the kitties through without (too much) hick-ups. I got a reply from MOA stating that my application was processed and the import permit can be collected from MOA Dammam office exactly after 2 days like you predicted. There was a scanned copy of the permit included in the email, but since I was on my off day I went to MOA Dammam and collected the document as required in the email. It was the yellow copy of the import permit, stapled to an official envelope with a note in Arabic (I'm not sure what was written though).

It was in Dammam Saudi Airline Cargo Terminal that I had a little bit of complications. The original airway bill and other original documents (health certificates, pet vet records, microchip records etc) did not arrive together with the kitties - none of the cargo personnel knew where these items were at that time. The arrival was scheduled at 1030 pm so not many people were around at that time.

I waited until 330 am while they check, and tried to negotiate with the vet if I can use scanned document printouts and that I will sort it out and send the original documents to him later - he eventually agreed and made me sign a paper stating the arrangement. He was also very kind to help me talk to the other cargo/customs officers. I left the cargo terminal at around 430 am together with my precious "cargo".

After making inquiries with KLM Cargo, the documents eventually arrived in Dammam 1 day later - I was informed that they were missed out during the original flight and was only included in the next flight. Aside from that I think everything went pretty well :)

This conversation really helpful