Buying a car

Hi folks, I'm planning to buy a car I viewed recently,  it's a private sale, does anybody know if there would any problems doing this as I have only been in Malta 1 week now, as yet I'm still looking for work, so don't have my residency card yet. Would I be able to get the car registered in my name and get insurance just using my passport as id?

My understanding is that you now need a valid EID to register a vehicle in your name.

Terry

Hi
I've just arrived too but made the mistake of shipping my car.
There's a long trail of info on the Forum on this subject but the law changed recently so beware as some of it is now out of date.
I regret bringing my car because registering it will cost me a lot (rightly so in a way but I wish I'd known how tricky it all is now the law is different for those bringing in cars from overseas e.g. UK)
Check the Transport Dept website and the forms VEH 01 and 2 before you buy.
Also, I'd suggest you get ID asap. No Maltese insurance company will touch me without ID so I'm going round in circles - no insurance, no registration.
There is a lot to it and the process has already taken me 3 days+ of complex procedures in Floriana... Lovely architecture of course...
Good luck
Jeannie

Jeannie, how long did you have the car in the UK? I'm pretty sure u dont have to pay registration tax on it if you've had it for a minimum of two years.

Hi everyone, well this seems to be an important subject certainly to me. I had intended driving my car leisurely through France and Italy to Malta this April. I intended staying indefinitely (I'm retired) on a state and personal pension. I only got back to the UK from the US in October 2014 after 10 years there, and bought a second hand car which I've had since. So I've owned the car for some time. I've already been in touch with a Maltese based insurance company and they have agreed to insure the car for use in Malta.
Having seen Jeannie's comments I guess I'd better check into this a lot further.

Coming by car was obviously easier as I've only recently bought all things when I got back to the UK and I had intended to load myself up with my personal items etc. Especially as I'm told they will work in Malta.

If there is any further info I'd appreciate it. :/

This link gives you all the information you need with regard to importing a vehicle.
http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … individual

If you have owned the vehicle outside of Malta and in your name for more than 24 months you may apply for an exemption to the registration tax.

You will need to apply for your EID before you will be able to register the vehicle in your name.

Terry

Yes, you're right and I'm 5 months short of that.
I thought I'd have 6 months grace here to bring it up to 24 months but keep getting different stories from Malta govt employees since the law change.
So it's currently off the road until I'm clearer - anyone want to buy a car :)
Jeannie

Hello everyone,

@Jeannie:  If you want to sell your car, I invite you to post an advert in the Classifieds section > Cars in Malta which is more appropriate for the sale of a car.

Thank You,
Regards,
Naomi.

Dear Naomi
Joke - honest.

You know that gallows humour?

going to have the car framed, wouldn't dream of selling it after all this drama
Jeannie

Can anyone advise please .....

Applied for an ID card today and got the temporary one , print out with my photo taken and ID number .... Will they accept this if I wan to buy and register the car ? As it my take a while for the actual card to arrive and I heard many different stories about this..... Please help :)

Your best bet is to call TM and ask .....

In Malta rules change every day.

Cheers
Ricky

I have had my car on a permit under an employment contract after the 6 mths of being on the island and deciding to stay, however my mother passed away and most of my time over the last few months has been in the Uk.
I only changed the log book  to me as a registered keeper over from my daughter one month before we left to come to Malta and of course it was taxed and mot'd all at the same time in the Uk. Legal and roadworthy to drive through europe and have had fully comp insurance cover that covers me driving in Malta and europe.
Interesting I paid for the permit for a year but they only gave me 4 mths and told me to come back to get it renewed now I am stuck because the car will need ro be MOTd to be taxed by dvla for me to have the remainig time of the permit.
Interesting as a lot of expats who take their cars abroad run into this little problem of not being able to MOt the car if you are travelling or stayi g twmporary in a country and then have to trek back to the uk with the vehicle to  do a  £50 mot inspection.
My options are ship it back, drive it back or pay the Vat of 2.5 euro on it and  register it put new plates on it and then have to do it all agin in 8 mths time as it will have to  leave the island once the permit expires anyway.  Can you actually speak to someone at the DVLA nope... does anyone respond to your emails in Malta .... nope.....crazy system!

roadtripper wrote:

I have had my car on a permit under an employment contract after the 6 mths of being on the island and deciding to stay, however my mother passed away and most of my time over the last few months has been in the Uk.
I only changed the log book  to me as a registered keeper over from my daughter one month before we left to come to Malta and of course it was taxed and mot'd all at the same time in the Uk. Legal and roadworthy to drive through europe and have had fully comp insurance cover that covers me driving in Malta and europe.
Interesting I paid for the permit for a year but they only gave me 4 mths and told me to come back to get it renewed now I am stuck because the car will need ro be MOTd to be taxed by dvla for me to have the remainig time of the permit.
Interesting as a lot of expats who take their cars abroad run into this little problem of not being able to MOt the car if you are travelling or stayi g twmporary in a country and then have to trek back to the uk with the vehicle to  do a  £50 mot inspection.
My options are ship it back, drive it back or pay the Vat of 2.5 euro on it and  register it put new plates on it and then have to do it all agin in 8 mths time as it will have to  leave the island once the permit expires anyway.  Can you actually speak to someone at the DVLA nope... does anyone respond to your emails in Malta .... nope.....crazy system!

Slightly confused because if you register it and pay the registration tax why will it have to leave the island?

Only expats who take the car abroad for longer than 12 months run in to this problem as you can MOT it before you leave the UK.
This gives you 12 months, you should register it in whatever country you have moved to before the 12 months have expired.
Most UK insurers will only cover you for a limited time out of the UK, typically 90 days.

Terry

A 30 day permit will be required for imported used vehicles to drive in Malta as from Friday 1st January.2016. Anyone without this permit will be towed away and loose the vehicle. The permit in the form of a licence disk affixed to the windscreen will allow owners to drive imported vehicles on Maltese roads for 30 days before registering them. A resident who imports a used vehicle into Malta has to inform Transport Malta by the first working day after its arrival and Transport Malta will issue the 30 day permit against a 20 euro fee.The owner has to do soon the first working after its arrival. An insurance policy and the copy of the log book need to be shown.The importer will have to opt to register the vehicle immediately on the first working day