How many expats in Jamaica?

Hello all,
I am a British National and Im looking to move to Jamaica (Montego Bay) in the new year...
Can any one tell me where I can find how many expats are registered in Jamaica?
I have looked everywhere and cannot find these statistics...
Thanks for any help...
legepe

Hi legepe,

You can find the expat members of Expat-blog on the Jamaica expat network.

Good luck
Christine

Hi Christine,
I was looking for official statistics on how many foreign nationals (expats) are registered in Jamaica... and cannot find this information anywhere...
Many thanks
legepe

Hi Legepe,

I am Jamaican. Are you interested to know these statistics to find people with the same interests as you, or just to feel safe? Well, I should tell you that they are so many expats living in Jamaica for different reasons. The large tourism industry employs some, building/operational setup of international companies, and alot of diplomatic representatives in the capital Kingston. There is alot to see and/or do, and Jamaicans are really helpful and friendly

Hi
Thank you for your reply...
Basically it is just to feel safe.. I have heard that there is a lot of crime there, and statistics shows that killings are one of the highest in the world...
My line of business will atract all walks of life.. So my concerns are both in and out of work..
However, i am lead to beleive that most of the problems are in Kingston...
Im i right to have concerns or is most of it purly puplic hype..?
Thanks again,
legepe

first, you would do well to leave the mindframe of desiring hard numbers, facts, figures, and timeframes behind you when you live in jamaica ;-)  but as one who has traveled the island away from tourist places and in the company of a jamaican, i can pass on from local word and personal experience that altho is true murder is highest in jamaica, it is confined mostly to kingston, some parts mobay, and the rest of the likkle rock is peaceful indeed.  the violent crime is directed inward, gang/drug-related, so not to affect much the vast majority of jamaicans not involved in drugs, and definately not involving non-jamaicans.   there are so many beautiful places and climates and people in jamaica that for me, i feel why go to live in kingston when my goal is to get ~away~ from the rat-race? look at it like this- where i live now (and you too), you stay away from the 'bad' areas and mind your own business to stay safe from the crime, and same in jamaica.  when in mobay, don't do stupid ting like one man visiting, took a bicycle ride thru not-good areas of mobay on purpose in the night just to see how bad it really was... nothing happen, but still stoopit.

http://www1.american.edu/ted/jamaica-retire.htm

here is a link (a little dated- 2005) with hard numbers of retired people to jamaica, by country.  statistics are from jamaica government, and include some crime info.