Looking for Furniture Stores

I am looking for furniture stores located within 50 kilometers of San Jose.
Hopefully with comments on personal experience with these stores.

Sarchi is a good place to go. I just bought a dinning table made with "cenizaro" ,  a strong type of wood. In Palmares and around it you will find furniture makers that are cheaper than going to a furniture store. Three months ago I ordered a whole living room set made to my specs around $500 cheaper than buying it already made.

While getting 'custom made furniture' can be fine for some people, not everyone likes the heavy furniture that is often made here. For more modern styles check out La Artistica in downtown San Jose or at various malls. Or look for Aliss also in malls around the central valley, where you may find everything you want or need.

All I can say is that furniture here - especially "stuffed" type chairs and couches - are super expensive! But then furniture of this type is also expensive in  the U.S.

We would love to have a couch and overstuffed chair but so far the cheapest nice overstuffed chair i've seen is $600. Last time I bought a La-Z-Boy in the states it was under $300.

We are going to go to Sarchi and see what we can find.

By the way even the used furniture stores we've been to seem very high priced to us. We're looking on craigslist too, hoping to find someone moving back to the USA and dumping their stuff before leaving here...

All I can say is that furniture here - especially "stuffed" type chairs and couches - are super expensive! But then furniture of this type is also expensive in  the U.S.

We would love to have a couch and overstuffed chair but so far the cheapest nice overstuffed chair i've seen is $600. Last time I bought a La-Z-Boy in the states it was under $300.

We are going to go to Sarchi and see what we can find.

There are two furniture stores along highway 27 west of Santa Ana (visible on the right side of the highway heading west): Ashley Furniture ("fine furniture") and Bali Home Center (rattan style indoor and outdoor furniture with cushions).  We purchased outdoor furniture from Bali - we like the furniture, but we made a "special order" from the factory and they made an error in the order causing delays.

Hi samranmon,
Were you able to find all your furniture?
Where is the cheapest place ?
Did you here or go to the flea market in San Jose ?
Ty

Like choosing a home,it depends on your taste ,Are you looking for ultra modern, classic, rustic, hand.made ? "ie, ( Sarchi carpentry) or antiques?  So many  styles to choose from ,
I bought much of my furniture from Sarchi,  Not cheap and consider the distance to pay to deliver. Heredia has some nice  inexepensive stores but again, it depends on style and price  needed ? eclectic Maybe :)

If you beed a very inexpensive lazy boythey have then inder $300 at a large e dtore called Pequena Mundo  same road oit of Heredia (Or reverse coming in ) Just after  or Pricemart as you leave Heredia on the outskirts  of town,

If you want a very Inexpensive discount store as you come into Heredia just before PRICEMART is a store called Pequena Mundo they have Lazy Boys under $300 but their  other stuff is just " so so "
Try good quality for sale leaving CR on Craigs list I have sold some great stuff and fpund stuff also like new good idea .Maybe POST  here some of us have things we never use ...I am a furniture junkie:) I  used to build rooms AROUND the furniture I over- bought mostly from Sarchi

No, we are on a tight budget and have not yet found affordable furniture. We are living with plastic chairs and hammock chairs at the moment.

Waiting for some money to come in and then we will buy some bar stools for our counter and some rocking chairs.

I found some very nice (seemingly well built) wooden rocking chairs at a store in San Ramon for only 38 mil each. What I particularly like is the comfort of them.  I've found some of the more expensive rocking chairs with leather seats to be very uncomfortable for my back. Would rather use wood and put some cushioning on them than buy overstuffed chairs, for the most part.

By the way does anyone know where to buy HR or HD or latex foam? I went to a foam store in Palmares and all they had was crappy pu (polyurethane) foam and when I asked about the other better stuff they acted like I was from the moon asking about green cheese. The chair cushions /pillows I've seen are small, made from crappy foam and overpriced. Better to make our own IF we can find good quality foam. Latex foam is the ideal for furniture. HD or HR is the 2nd choice.

We will be buying maybe ONE nice expensive "soft" chair or love seat but not sure where yet. We are not into "style" we are into comfort and good price. If it looks decent that's a plus.

I actually found a chair at Roe's dept. store that looks pretty good for around $300 but one of the stores on the PC highway had one for $250 that might beat it out. But the one at Roes was like a lazy boy type and was very nice looking. As to quality, that's my concern and why the one out on the highway - made locally - might win out.

So basically we are waiting for $ to buy furniture. But all in all I have seen that furniture is outrageously expensive here as are many "home" items. Labor is much cheaper here and veges and fruit can be gotten at a good price. Medical care is generally cheaper (priced a colonoscopy in the states recently?). But most home appliances and electronics and furniture are very high in Costa Rica.

As for Craigslist it's a great idea but haven't found one thing on there I want, yet. Some of the people moving live way over on the other side of the country from us and it's just too far to drive for what may turn out to be a bust.

Ty Samramon ,
Someone suggested this place, they deliver in many regions, the prices are reasonable.
http://www.gollotienda.com/
I also found rep Nova Costa Rica, but not sure of there location, they make sofas and stuff furniture.
Ty

Thanks. Didn't know gollo had furniture. We bought an appliance or two there.
Will check out the link.

Check out:
Muebles Glovaes De Centroamerica
email: [email protected]
Tel: (506) 2285-8989/2285-0106
Tell Wagner or Marco, Howard sent you (the Gringo from Esterillos Oeste)

Go to the town of Sarchi, there are many furniture stores there.

Yes we plan to go to Sarchi within a week or three... Hopefully they have some affordable rocking chairs there at least.

Went to Gallo yesterday - YIKES! $600 for a chair that would cost about $200 in the states! That is mostly what we find here: about double or triple the price for appliances and furniture.

We'll probably just wait until "our ship comes in" to buy any really nice furniture. Meanwhile we'll just use wooden chairs etc and put some cushions on them.

Looking for a FOAM store that has good quality foam though!

$2100 for a full custom made bedroom suite ( bed, custom head and footboard, extra high dresser, night tables, and an entertainment shelf)  I have not seen any price in Canada or the US of A that is comparable.

Samramon,
Look at gollo on line !
Viv, where did you get your set ?
Ty

Here
Cheers .... Terry

Went to Sarchi today.
Every store we went to was empty of customers. I think the reason is their high prices.
95k colones for a simple wooden or wooden and leather rocking chair - not a super nice one, just basic. That's about $180 right now with current conversion rates. The same price for ONE bar stool. Several models, all 95k.

Tables - about $80-100 for small living room or bedroom type tables, very simple, nothing fancy...

Then we had a "gringo pricing" incident or something along those lines anyway:

I had seen some chairs in San Ramon I liked - simple wooden rockers for 38k colones.

Saw the same exact ones - they are most likely factory made, not hand made - at a tiny little place on the way out of Sarchi. I figured, gee, if they're 38k colones in San Ramon, here where they're made maybe they're cheaper. The guy tried to get 50k for it! Instead of telling him I'd seen them for 38k in San Ramon I just decided to buy them in San Ramon and we walked away, "no thanks".

Went back to San Ramon and bought 2 of the rockers there for 35k colones, cash discount and 3k for delivery to our house 8 miles away. By the way, they are made in Nicaragua where the store in San Ramon orders them from, and the guys pretending they made them there in Sarchi were lying. EXACTLY the same chairs, there is no doubt about it.

We still need bar stools, and a couch or overstuffed love seat or something but we'll probably look for a used one online. Even the used furniture store in San Ramon struck us as super expensive! $200 for an old beat up rocker? No thanks.

Granted we're not well to do, I never have been, and furniture to me is not for "show" as much as it is for comfort. Back in the USA I'd buy a futon couch, a la-z-boy chair and no headboards for my bed. Furniture is for comfort to me. Sure if I was rich I'd probably buy some nicer stuff but I really don't feel the need to impress anyone with my furniture. That's just me. I'd rather spend money on other things.

Now if you wanna talk about stereos and mp3 players, or other electronics, I am willing to spend money. We brought most of that stuff with us. Will have to buy a large flat screen tv, here, though and I've already seen the prices which are about double of those in the USA.  Ouch!

Try buying furniture in Costa Rica when converting Canadian pesos to colones.  The Canadian peso is only worth 73 cents today.

samramon,

I know of a guy in Puriscal  who makes bar stools for around $50 each.  Let me know if you are interested and I will find the contact

lafdbuf wrote:

samramon,

I know of a guy in Puriscal  who makes bar stools for around $50 each.  Let me know if you are interested and I will find the contact

Yes you can pm me the info or put it here if that's allowed.
I'd have to see photos before driving there to buy but maybe I could arrange for him to send photos or maybe he has a web site.
Do the stools swivel?
Anyway I'd certainly be interested in seeing some photos and getting the info.