Collecting Social Security Dissability - SSD - while in Vietnam

I am a disabled man wanting to spend 3 to 6 months in Vietnam.   I understand that SSD will not send my checks to VN, but, what I want to know is " Will I loose my SSD benefits for the months I am in VN or will I simply be able to collect them when I return to the States.    I would like to think the direct deposits will continue to go to my account during the 3 to 6 months of my time in VN.   Any experience in this matter is greatly appreciated.    Thanks

As Vietnam is no longer a restricted country this information should help you:

http://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org … g-overseas

Rick

I am Ghanaian living in Vietnam. I had an accident and broke my knee. That has kept me indoors for almost a year without a job. Feeding and paying other bills have become a problem. May I know if I qualify for any financial assistance from the SSD. Thank you.

I am Ghanaian living in Vietnam. I had an accident and broke my knee. That has kept me indoors for almost a year without a job. Feeding and paying other bills have become a problem. May I know if I qualify for any financial assistance from the SSD. Thank you.
-@Seth NRETIA ESSIEN

Hello NRETIA ESSIEN.

SSD is a US government social welfare program available to US citizens (as I understand it. I'm open to correction if wrong).

As a Ghanaian, I suggest you ask about your own gov't's disability program(s) through your nearest Ghanaian embassy or consulate. Not sure if expats living in Ghana will be of much help, but you could try asking, here. (Link)

Also, you are responding to a thread from 8 years ago.

Good luck

You should not have a problem with such.  You state that you already have 'direct deposit', and a residence and bank in the USA.  I've lived in Vietnam for the past 20 years and have not missed a payment.  Mil retirement since living here, but years back had to sign each month to receive in US Bank.  SS since 2014 and even with a Vietnamese residence and no USA address or phone, I continue to receive both like clock work.  I would seriously advise your bank that you will be traveling to SE Asia and inform them that if any "large" amounts being taken from the account you would advise first.  It has made it a lot easier for me when I travel around SE Asia as I've requested a 'limit' on withdrawals...with exception of the notifications.   Best of luck and Enjoy.