Child Fears, HELP!!!

My 30 months baby (2 years and a half) is devoloping a strange kind of fear that is to fear from people as he says that they are gonna "shoot him" and he starts crying and refuse going out,,
ANY HELP PLEASE

Perhaps you are watching the news and/or TV violence.

Even at such a tender young age children are very sophisticated and they pick up a lot from their parents. As my astute friend and collegue Fred rightly points out perhaps you're watching too much of the reports of violence on TV news broadcasts and violent television programs, talking with the child's mother during these and inadvertently projecting your own fears on to your child. Could that be the problem?

I'd suggest that before anything else you avoid such stuff on TV and do not make comments about such violence in front of your child. Also you should seek out a child psychologist to help your child deal with those fears. They are not normal childhood fears like monsters under the bed or boogey men in the closet, and they should be taken seriously. A child psychologist will help greatly.

This advice comes from a father of 5 (4 now well-adjusted adults and one 8 year old), who has been an educator for over 28 years.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team