Sending money to USA

Hello all!!!
Chef Dan here! Family and I are making the big move to Puerto Plata in Jan 16'.

Was wondering if someone could fill me in on how transferring money made in the dr to a US bank account works.

We still have debts in the US that we would like to pay off but not sure how the banking system works down there yet.

Thanks for your anticipated response!!
Chef Dan

Dan Welcome to the board.  Where in the DR are you settling?

Wire transfers from your bank here in the DR to banks in the US are easy but there will be a small fee on both ends to do it.

Read, read and read some more on the various threads here on living in the DR and please feel free to ask away.

Again welcome

Bob K

Thanks Bob!

We are moving to Puerto Plata!  (Lifestyles resort)

I will surely be asking more questions as well as reading the threads.

Thanks again for all the anticipated responses and sound advice!

Dan

We will be taking a look at some more of the North Coast when we return mid December to finalize our citizenship. Can anyone give us any information on the costambar area?

ChefDan are you working for lifestyles?

Bob K

Even Though I am on the north coast area (Sosua/Cabarete) I do not know much about the Costambar area. However Planner I am sure will be along with some info as she knows the area pretty well

Bob K

Yes sir.

Welcome to both of you!   Costambar is a a nice little community  about 4 minutes west of Puerto Plata.  There are lots of options for  apartments /  houses / tourism rentals.  Lots of restaurants on and off the beach,  bars, entertainment etc.   There is a small golf course and clubhouse,  small store with the essentials and they do money exchange as well.   

What are your specific questions about Costambar?

Money transfer -  its easy once you get a bank account opened. If you are working at Lifestyles they will open a bank account for you, makes it very easy!

See I knew Planner would have info on the area

Bob K