Buying a car in Australia

Hi,

To be able to move in Australia, a lot of expatriates think of buying a car, whether new or second-hand.

What are the formalities to buy a vehicle in Australia: car registration, insurance, etc.?

What are the relevant authorities or organizations to contact?

How long does it take and what are the associated costs?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Kenjee

I suggest you buy from a secondhand dealer But don't buy the first car you see,,,,,,,,,check out a website carsales.com.au  enter the state you will be living in ................there will be private and licenced dealers in what ever city you will visit     TED

Hello everyone,

Since i work with Automotive industry and 4 weeks old expat in Perth, after having bought my first car successfully, i think i am in a position to give advice.  :)

If you are new to Australia, i would recommend buying a second hand car from one of the many dealers in and around Victoria Park area on Albany Highway or rent out cars from various rental places around Vic Park area. You can also find good quality cars on GumTree.com.au, this will give you fair idea about car prices, follow it up by visiting some of the car yards before you finalise your car. Let me know if you have any more queries, always happy to help.

Cheers,

Ajay