Cost of living questions from a recent graduate on her way to Accra

Hi everyone

I am a recent Canadian graduate come to Accra in January for six months. I am going to be working for the African University College of Communication.
I am on a very limited budget.
Does anyone have any information on the neighbourhood and how much I should expect to pay for housing? I am just looking for a one bedroom flat. Is there student housing nearby that I might be able to use?
Also, what does rent usually cover in Accra? should I expect to pay electricity, internet etc. separately?
Any information on public transit in the area would be great as well.

Thanks so much

Hi there!

I am also moving soon to Accra and like to know about accomodation. Is it possible to share accomodation with some expats to cut initial costs.

Please reply,

Thanks

Banano wrote:

Hi everyone

I am a recent Canadian graduate come to Accra in January for six months. I am going to be working for the African University College of Communication.
I am on a very limited budget.
Does anyone have any information on the neighbourhood and how much I should expect to pay for housing? I am just looking for a one bedroom flat. Is there student housing nearby that I might be able to use?
Also, what does rent usually cover in Accra? should I expect to pay electricity, internet etc. separately?
Any information on public transit in the area would be great as well.

Thanks so much

I want to help u ,but everything that u say,our company do it for me .

depending on what your needs or standards are you can expect a place to stay between 25$ and 4000$. In your case, I'd rather go for those so called hall and chambers. they cost about 150-200 cedis (about 75 to 100 euros). Electricity is usually extra. if you dont have your own meter definitely try to pay a certain amount every mount, otherwise they come to you and say u gave to play say 100 cedis but in fact you are paying for 3 houses without knowing.

internet is extra. you will probably end up getting a usb mobile modem and a sim card from mtn or zain. just check prices and test well.

havent heard of student housing for expats. could ask the university, they might help you.

Hi Metecem, thanks for above information. for the internet thing, what u mean by a usb mobile modem? is it sort of dial-up connection? in that case, I assume i should not take my ipad and stuff with me, unless i fill it up with movies and music and books? Thanks!

and 1 more silly question, where do you guys go for hair-cutting? I am just..well, considering the AIDS horror... *blushing*

a usb mobile modem, you get it everywhere here. and do take your ipad with you, there are many cafes etc offering wlan.

mtn and the others are offering sim cards as well which you can then cut according to the ipad size. it is all less complicated here, you get a sim card, put the apn in and there you go, you are online.

there are a number of places dealing with "european" or "white" hai so no worries.

don't sweat it with the fear of aids. the thumb rule is be careful at the hospitals when giving blood for malaria or other tests and be sure to protect yourself if you are gonna shag. ghanaian men hate condoms, hence the rate keeps rising.

if you need help, just gimme a shout.

Hiya, gotcha, which is great! we do the same with sim card here to fit in Ipad/Iphone! Thanks very much, Metecem! Guess it's not real urgent to teach myself to be a hair artist yet! :D Plus I have determined to jog regularly to keep fit and healthy.
And for the shagging thing...hA, no, not worth the risk!

Hi,we always do the hair ourselves for the secrety reason,do it yourself ,and enjoy it yourself.