Budget for living in Accra or Tema

Our family is planning to permanently move to Ghana. Can we survive with following budget.

House rent : USD1,000 per month
Education cost(Grade 8 & 10) : USD20,000~USD25,000 per year.
Living cost : USD1,000 per month
Buy a car : USD7,000

We have no idea about living in Ghana. Is there any good way to save cost. We want to survive with less than USD50,000 per year.

Hi kh0343, have you browse through the different threads of the forum? It may give ideas to you.;)

Harmonie.

It does depend on the size of your family but I think you should be able to manage on the budget you have included. Most people manage on a lot less. You might be a bit tight on the food budget but that will depend on what you eat and whether you want to eat out. One thing you haven't included is medical bills and it is quite expensive to go to the doctor here or get dental or optical services so you need to think of that too.

Depends on how you want to live. I think $1000/month for living expenses will be tight. You will have to cook at home most of your meals. I find medical and dental expenses much cheaper here, especially if you consider you don't need to get insurance. For example, you can get your teeth cleaned for about $40 US at a modern clinic. I spent the entire day in the hospital with a lung infection and Malaria and the total damage including chest x-ray, etc was about $200 US. Would have been $5k in the US. The best thing you could do is find a house near your school and work and ditch the car. Having a car is a liability in Accra. You just end up sitting in traffic burning money on gas.

USD1000 can get you a 2 bed roomed apartment in a good neighborhood in Accra.the food budget will depend on whether you want to eat out or cook your meals at home.you will save a lot if you minimize on eating out.