I'm Planning to shift to Accra - Ghana

Exit

Hi Romeo123,

it's not clear to me how much is included and how much excluded, i.e. to how much of your expenses does "additional" relate?

If you are saying that you will be spending USD 750 (about GHS 1600 at the current rate) on accomodation, maid, food etc. then it's not enough.

Please elucidate.

Yours,
Rod Darby
Sekondi

Exit.

Sorry, I still don't understand what you are going to have to spend your $750 on. You are not making sense as on the one hand you say things are excluded and then say they are taken care of by the company so which is it?

Hello again Romeo (my first name is Rod - Darby (not Dorby) is my surname),

Ok, you are still not making sense but, hey, go with the flow is my motto (I think you mean "which includes expat benefits, but let it pass).

GHS 100 = about USD 47

Rent: around 400 - 600 GHS per month for an unfurnished, 4-bedroomed house. Furnished is usually MUCH more expensive;
Maid: 100 - 150 GHS / month;
Utilities (electricity, water, gas for cooking): depends a bit on consumption, but perhaps another GHS 150 a month;
Transport: this really depends on where you are, where you need to go and how you plan to travel around;
Food: if you do your own shopping and have your maid cook for you, you should be ok with GHS 400 / month;
Medical: no idea, but there are plenty of expat medical insurance websites. I found them all ridiculously expensive, so I just pay for what I need (which isn't much).

OK, that's it. If you are in fact trying - not very successfully - to say that your company is paying for all that and the USD 750 is "spending money", you will be a rich man.

On that thought I bid you "Good Day"
Rod

Very well put Rod, but I have to question the amount you have put for rent. If you want furnished accommodation in Accra you are looking at $1500+ for a two-bedroomed place in the expat areas but I agree with your other amounts although think the wage for the maid is on the low side but of course it does depend on how much the person is expected to do. We have a 5-bedroomed house and our cleaner takes care of that and our small garden and cleans the cars. He lives in and gets all his food and has the weekends off and he gets GhC 300

Ann (?),

couldn't agree more (I looked at a furnished place in Sekondi for USD 3,500 per month. But I was saying unfurnished.

I guess my lady love drives a hard bargain with the staff - and that was "just" cleaning.

We seem to have shocked Romeo.

Hi Taberah,

well, this is really Romeo's post (although he has gone quiet), but, since you mention it, I am indeed looking for a house to rent in the Sekondi-Takoradi area.

However, there don't seem to be many expats around here.

Thanks for asking, and take care,
Rod

Hi taberah,

Please feel free to post your accommodation offer in the Housing in Accra section, this might be helpful. :)

Thank you,

David.