Cost of living in Azerbaijan

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Azerbaijan.

Don't forget to mention where in Azerbaijan you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Azerbaijan?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

I would say all prices here are high, especially if they are not marked before you ask as an expat!

Beer - Shop 1 manat, bar 3 manat upwards
metro - very cheap, 0.05 or 0.1 manat per ride
accom - varies tremendously from 1,000 manat / month to 10,000 manat. 2,000 - 2,500 manat for a pretty nice place within a few min walk to the city.
months wireless internet - 50 manat for aslow plan, up to 200 for a good plan.
small, fatty but nice donna from stall - 1.50 manat
average local sytle lunch, sit down - 5 - 8 manat
going out for a nice dinner (not super nice, just standard place) 20 - 40 manat per head? varies a lot. Can easily pay very high prices.
Electronics - dont even think about it. But it before you come.
Clother - see above.
Energy - lots of oil here,... petrol fixed price. 0.60 manat.

> accommodation prices 1000 - 3500 azn

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)(bus full but you can use taxi not expensive (10 azn)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?) (1000 azn)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) ???

> eduction prices (if you need to pay) (it is depend what type of education you want) if in university you need pass exam if only cources of language depend as well which place - let s say chipest 50 azn cources

> energy prices (oil, electricity) Petrol - 0.55 azn per ltr. electrisity if i am not mistaken per 100 kilowatt - 6 azn maybe little more

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)-if you use Azercell line - per minute ia mnot sure maybe 0.30 azn 9not sure)Internet depend what type but i think not expensive 30 AZN in month anlimited

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant. regarding Italian restaurant in center city red Olives - 40-60 azn for 2 people. Traditional close to this price.

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub.

> price of the cinema - 8 azn

Baku is one of the most expensive cities in the world - so I hear.

> accommodation prices - depends on the size and whether the place is furnished or unfurnished. 

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)  Taxi prices vary greatly depending on how far you are going.  It's easy to find a taxi though because they are parked all over the city.  It's best to negotiate price before you get in the car.

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)  There are local markets which offer cheaper products than the western style markets.  We spend approximately $300 manat per month with most items coming from the local market.

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)
I already had a phone so now I just buy minutes as needed. 

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant - this varies greatly depending on what type of restaurant.  You can find reasonable prices at local restaurants.  Ethnic restaurants tend to be pricy.  Dinner for two with no alcohol will usually cost around 50 manat

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub - at least 4 and up to 18 manat for beer.  Coffee starting around 3.50 and up to 6 in the places I've been for coffee

Prices change here just like the weather.  Always check the price, even if you just bought the same item, from the same shop the day before.  If I see an item and it's something that I use regularly, I'll sometimes buy many....you never know if you'll see it again and you never know when the price is going to change.

Practical Details Baku Azerbaijan

How to get there: Overnight train (around $30/person for a couchette) or flight from Tbilisi, Georgia. Overnight boat ($55/person) from Turkmenbashi, Turkmenistan.

Where to stay: chaep daily accomadation in Baku 30 manat/night in the center through this company [moderated: no free ads in your very first message]

to eat:

Kutab: A thin pancake whose varieties come stuffed with meat or with spinach and greens. Delicious alone, but if you find yourself at Chudo Pechka, get creative and team the green-stuffed with the baklijan (eggplant and garlic in sour cream) for your very own Azerbaijani veggie wrap.

What to do: Visit the Shirvanshah?s Palace and Maiden Tower in Baku?s Old City, admire Baku?s early 20th century architecture, take a ride out to Gobustan to see the mud volcanoes and rock drawings, sample illegal caviar at the bustling Taza Bazaar.

Internet Cafés in Baku are not on every corner, but are easy enough to find. Rates ranged from 0.80 to 2 Manat ($1) per hour.

Wifi in Baku: Aroma Café at 18 U. Hajibeyov Street serves an authentic espresso (or machiatto, if you like) and has speedy, reliable wifi to boot. The coffee is not cheap, but the wait staff doesn?t rush you, enabling a pleasant, lingering online working experience

Hi, every body ,my name is Chinedu ,,,please, I want  to know about Immigration requerment to be in Azerbaijan,and  how is life and job in the Cities of Azerbaijan, can any one help me for that ? thanks in future, best regard
Chinedu ! ! ! !

Hello, every body here,,my name is Chinedu ,,please, can any one tell me  how to obtain visa to Azerbaijan ? I'm in Tripoli Libya  but, I'm a Nigerian ,,I try call Embassy  here  but, I was told  that the embassy  has  relocated  from there,,, I need information about  it,,any one  with  the information,,infct will be apriciated,,,thanks

Hi Chinedu,

maybe you should start a new discussion in the Azerbaijan forum? This one is about the cost of living... thanks!

Hi dj4hill,
May I pick your brain for some more info-would you say the prices for white goods( electrical kitchen ware) in Baku is still high and we should bring in our own?
Are there any independent houses available in town or only apartments, we will be bringing our pets with us, a large dog and cat.
Do the western style stores have most european foodstuff available or can we import some things our selves in our intiall move?
I read on a blog that pet food is difficult to come by, is that true?
Are the cinema's in english/original language or only in the local language?
Is it easy to find cleaners? how much would one expect to pay?
Sorry for the large number of Q's but my brain is fizzing trying to plan this move...
Any info would be appreciated. thanks

dj4hill wrote:

I would say all prices here are high, especially if they are not marked before you ask as an expat!

Beer - Shop 1 manat, bar 3 manat upwards
metro - very cheap, 0.05 or 0.1 manat per ride
accom - varies tremendously from 1,000 manat / month to 10,000 manat. 2,000 - 2,500 manat for a pretty nice place within a few min walk to the city.
months wireless internet - 50 manat for aslow plan, up to 200 for a good plan.
small, fatty but nice donna from stall - 1.50 manat
average local sytle lunch, sit down - 5 - 8 manat
going out for a nice dinner (not super nice, just standard place) 20 - 40 manat per head? varies a lot. Can easily pay very high prices.
Electronics - dont even think about it. But it before you come.
Clother - see above.
Energy - lots of oil here,... petrol fixed price. 0.60 manat.

Hello smarty,

I guess you shall start a new thread with your specific queries for more visibility! Besides, your questions is not directly related to the initial topic (Cost of living in Azerbaijan)

Thanks you for your kind comprehension.

cost of ling in baku. full details from house to food what are the rates