Cost of living in Turkey

Hi everybody,

It would be very useful to talk about the cost of living in Turkey.

Don't forget to mention where in Turkey you are living.

How much does it cost to live in Turkey?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)

> food prices(per month, how much does it cost you?)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> eduction prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub

> price of the cinema

Do not hesitate to add items to this list!

Thanks in advance for your participation!!

Hello out there!
I lived in Ankara for three years back in the early 1980's, and now that I have decided to retire I am curious as to what the cost of living is now in Turkey, particularly in the warmer parts of Turkey.  (Ankara was an interesting and wonderful place to live except for those long, hard winters.)  Can anyone help me with this information?  How much would I need per month to live in a rural community for rent, utilities, food, transportation?  I would be interested in the southern, south-western parts of Turkey.  I drove through the Taurus Mountains area once and had a strong fascination for that place.  Can you give me some advice?

Keep in mind that the current US>Lira exchange rate is about 1.48 ytl for every dollar.

Also, the following information may only be applicable to Istanbul and area.

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc ...)
     On a city bus, it's usually about 1.50 ytl, but often 3 try for the express.  Taxis are always metered (prices go up at night and when going to/from the airport), but  quick 5 minute trip within a town shouldn't cost more than 4 or 5 ytl. A 30-minute inter-city trip will be upwards of 50 ytl.   It's not usually possible (nor reasonable) to bargan with local taxis, but if it's a longer/later trip, then you can try to get the price down a bit (ie: Taksim to Bahçesehir is initially offered at about 65 ytl, but you can get it down to about 45 or 50)

health prices (for those who need medical insurance)
     most medications are insanely cheap, usually no more than 10 or 20 ytl. You do not need a prescription for most medications.

prices of a good menu in a traditional restaurant
   In touristic areas like Beyoglu, a meal at a clean, reputable traditional restaurant will cost you about 15-30 ytl.  Cheap kebap or döner on the street, including a drink, is about 5 ytl.   

prices of a beer and or a coffee in a regular pub
   At most smaller pubs/bars, a small beer is 3 ytl, and a large is 5ytl.  Nicer bars like North Shield are much more expensive, at least 10 ytl.   Turkish coffee at a small local shop is about 2 ytl, while upscale coffee shops are usual "Starbucks-style" pricing.

Reporting from Ankara:

Best areas to live in are within the vicinity of Cankaya

Rental units are available throughout the year. Expect to pay ~ 1000 liras and up per month including the maintenance fees.

Eating out is fairly inexpensive. Beer is about 5-7 liras, while cocktails can run up to 15-18. A good meal will cost about 15-20 at the most not including wine, pop etc

Metro:
Per person 1.90- I think it is expensive considering they allow only 1 transfer within 30 min or something like that.

Turkey is a rich country but most of the population is not. Ironic. I can't say it is easy to make a living in here. Depends on your life standards.