Your experience of culture shock in New Caledonia

Hi,

Living in a foreign country implies to discover its culture, to learn and master the cultural codes.

How did you deal with that? Share with us your culture shock stories where you experienced a funny or awkward moment in New Caledonia.

What is your advice regarding the don'ts and what would you recommend to avoid any mistake?

Thank you in advance for sharing your stories,

Christine

Hi Christine,

New Caledonia being a multicultural country, people are open mindd there and you should not expect a big shock when there.
Speaking French is definitely a plus and you may get a few difficulties if you only speak english but I believe it would be all fine. Lot's of tourists come from Australia and you could always make yourself understood one way or another.
Don'ts: being ude to people not understanding you. (like everywhere) / not respecting surrounding nature (throwing things away)

Beautiful country with fantistic landscapes and people.
If you're interested, I tried myself at making a trip vieo.. : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jU8YphC5HI

Nice video Philthefrog! Are you a film-maker?  :D

Thanks but no. Just amateur traveler :-)

Well Christine,
I have not been in New Caledonia yet, but it is my dream. In my opinion, a person that wants to move in a Country where the language, culture, uses are different from its own, should have a really open mind, an adaptation ability and the will to face a new reality as well. Everything to say that I do not consider it as a shock, but I could say that it is an exciting experience.
Anyway this changes person by person, and if anyone has already lived there, we are glad to receive any feedback from them.
Have a nice day (or night) to you all!
Andrea