Life and love in the Philippines

lasvegan wrote:

Me I established boundries right off the bat! The first time my wifes mother visited without calling first I dragged her out the door and made dang sure she wouldn't do that again! After that her relatives knew I would be hardball player and things are smooth as silk!

My parents couldn't do that. They're just too nice.

When we first moved here, there was one time when my parents had a heart-to-heart talk with me. They said to me, "We love you. There is nothing you can do that will make us love you less. Even if you disrespect us, we will forgive you and tolerate you, because you are our daughter. But your husband is not our son. But we are tolerating him because he is married to you. Otherwise we would have already kicked him out of our house."

After over six years of living with my parents, I, my husband and our children moved out and now live in our own house. I can now sympathize with my parents even more. I tolerate my husband's bad habits and faults because he is married to me. Otherwise I would have already kicked him out of our house.

I guess I take after my parents.

Fil-Am Mom wrote:
lasvegan wrote:

Me I established boundries right off the bat! The first time my wifes mother visited without calling first I dragged her out the door and made dang sure she wouldn't do that again! After that her relatives knew I would be hardball player and things are smooth as silk!

When we first moved here, there was one time when my parents had a heart-to-heart talk with me. They said to me, "We love you. There is nothing you can do that will make us love you less. Even if you disrespect us, we will forgive you and tolerate you, because you are our daughter. But your husband is not our son. But we are tolerating him because he is married to you. Otherwise we would have already kicked him out of our house."

After over six years of living with my parents, I, my husband and our children moved out and now live in our own house. I can now sympathize with my parents even more. I tolerate my husband's bad habits and faults because he is married to me. Otherwise I would have already kicked him out of our house.

During my first marriage I treated my Mother-In-Law badly. She was a kind sweat women. That was some 40 years ago. I regret it now and when I think of her it saddens me.

Enzyte Bob wrote:
Fil-Am Mom wrote:
lasvegan wrote:

During my first marriage I treated my Mother-In-Law badly. She was a kind sweat women. That was some 40 years ago. I regret it now and when I think of her it saddens me.

Yup 40yrs ago (the good old days/ways) ...nearly everyone I knew was more honest,sweet & sincere.
Omo

I have had just the opposite experience.  I don't know if it was because I lived for several years in the Philippines when I was in my 20's, but I met my wife at work and the relationship developed just like any normal relationship (in fact she is actually 3 years older than me).  We moved back to the U.S. and several other countries, had two beautiful children (and grandchildren), and 40 years later we are now retired and back here in the Philippines to enjoy our golden years.  Maybe developing a relationship in-person was the key...and we dated for over a year before we got married.  I know it is hard to do that while meeting a woman online but it is something to consider.
This is my first and only marriage and she has been a superb wife, mother,  and lifetime companion.  I don't hold any grudge against American women...I actually had a serious American girlfriend before I got posted to the Philippines...but I met my wife here an could not imagine leaving here without her -- and it is the best decision I ever made.
I would say if the woman is willing to get married with you in the Catholic Church in front of God and all of her relatives you can be fairly certain that she is not going to risk losing face by leaving later (as long as you are not an assholic).