Looking to move and work on Reunion Island

Hiya all,

New on here so please bear with me :) I am looking at moving to Reunion Island, hopefully within the next year or so.

Finding work on the island is probably my biggest worry at the moment. I am looking for information from people who are living or have lived there about general employment and hopefully something more specific to my industry. Currently I am working as a Designer/Estimator for a roofing firm in the UK. I have been involved within the construction industry for the past 10yrs. Does anyone have any information relating to the construction industry on the island specifically roofing and more specifically 'Green Roofing'?

Any information will be welcomed and of great help to me.

Many thanks

Regards
Ron

Welcome to Expat-blog, Ron :)

Hope that members soon give you their views on job prospects in Reunion Island.

Regards,
Sheetul

Sheetul,

Thanks for the welcome and I look forward to hearing what is on offer.

Regards

Ron

Hey Ron,
I don't know how much this information will be, but I suppose it is better than nothing. I have been here on the island for almost a month now, but was here for 2 months earlier in the year. What I have seen so far, is that there is a fair amount of construction going on especially here in the west (between St. Gilles les Bains and St. Leu) of the island. I have also seen a lot of solar panels on roofs here. You might consider checking into the solar companies. If I could remember the name of the company, I would tell you, butI can't. I hope I have given you enough info to Google.
Good luck with your search. It really is a beautiful island.

Regards,
Teagenius

Hi Teagenius,

Thanks sooo much for your reply, it is greatly appreciated :-) I did find a bit more out and you mentioned solar panels which was one of the things I have looked into and contacted a company on the island but they have yet to get back to me. I think with me not being able to speak or type French puts me in a difficult position getting any type of feed back or response. I am in the middle of learning some basic French which will undoubtly help. This may be a dumb question but is english used or not at all? Guessing you speak French?

Glad to hear you are loving staying there....it does look like a great place to live. What is it that you do out there? if you dont mind me asking.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Take care and thanks again
Ron

Hi Ron,
was the company you contacted Solar Reunion? That is the company name I  couldn't remember. I do speak French but I am still a bit rusty. You do have to remember that this is France so most people are educated enough that they can speak English but most choose not to.  If you at least try to speak French they will speak to you in English if your French is bad enough:).  You will learn pretty fast if you come and speak to people. I have a friend that is German and couldn't speak a word of French when she came 2 years ago. She is fluent now and works as a dentist.

I am here with my son and fiance while I am on maternity leave from my job in Canada. So for the time I am here I am a stay at home mom.

Good luck with your search.
Teagenius

P.S. a very helpful site for corresponding in another language is reverso.com it translates from any language to another. Just type or cut and paste text. It is not perfect, but it does help.

Hiya,

No the company was Les Artisans du Soleil. Thanks for the name tho....I will take a look at them also. Thanks for clearing up the language thing. As with most countries you have to make an effort to speak there language, I am currently self teaching but will in time have a few lessons but it would be a lot easier to learn if you have to speak it on a daily bases. I am confident I will pick it up pretty quick. I ideally would like to setup my own business but with the language barrier that may prove very difficult until I can speak French fluetly always up for a good challange tho :-) I have used reverso before and yes it aint perfect but still very very helpful.

I appriciate your input and help with this. Wish you and your family all the best for the future. Take care

Regards
Ron

Hello
I am looking for a job in reunion island,anyone can give details would be a great help to me.Especially in supermarkets.
Thanks

Hello sir good evening I am an Indian I want to go  in your country I am Indian my name is( Raghunath Shee) my age 37 years I professional Jewellery totally 20 years experience gold Jewellery working handmed( chain) (braslet) (ring) (necklace) (earrings) and (bangel) and( reaper) I am currently in Mauritius My request is can I get a job I request you to let me know your valuable decision very soon thank you very much?

@berasuparna24

Hello, please note that you are replying to an old and outdated post.

I suggest that you post create your CV in the Jobs in Reunion Island section foe better visibility.

Regards

Bhavna

[Topic Closed]

Closed