Travel Distance, Travel fare and best areas to live

hi,

i have got an job at muscat and my future office is situated at Ghala, muscat. i will be coming to muscat after eid holidays, will be staying with my relatives near muttrah cornice. so i wanted to know a few thing to get my life setteled easily.

1. is there any other way to commute everyday form muttarh to ghala, than taxis?
2. how much taxis would be charging?  i know there are no meter system and i will have to bargain, so i am hoping if someone can let me know at what traveling fare i should be considering.
3. as my office will be in ghala and as i suppose the distance between ghala and muttrah is more than  20kms, i cannot travel that distance everyday, so if i have to rent a flat , which areas are worth looking?  i am an indian but as i have traveled many countries, i am not looking out or a particular community residing area, just areas where living is easy, lesser distance to commute and rent prices are goood/affordable. while saying affordable i am looking for a 1bhk/2bhk for budget about 200-250omr.

thanks in advance.

You can rent a flat in either Ghala,Azaiba or Ghubra which are all close to your work place.as for the cab,you can check the newpapers for cab share which is cheaper than taxi.If you can not get a cab share ,you can have a monthly arrangement with a taxi driver and they may charge around 50-60 riyals a month.Check on dubizzle  to see what you can get for 250