Salary scale for Assistant Professor in engineering - I got 1800 omr

Hello Everyone,
I just received an offer for an Assistant Professor position in Ibra, Oman. The offer looks low to me and wonder if anyone can guide me about how much on average an AP in engineering makes in Oman? Thank you!

Hello Abbahba

Could you please tell us what offer did you get, so that members can best advise you?

Browsing through the Cost of Living in Muscat section will help you gather some interesting infos

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Thank you Kenjee
I received an offer of 1800 omr per month. the location is not in Muscat but in Ibra. I have a family of 4 people including 2 kids going to primary school who I intent to enroll in an international school program, perhaps in Muscat. I wonder if the offer was good enough to cover our expenses and save some since we moving from Canada.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Abbahba wrote:

Thank you Kenjee
I received an offer of 1800 omr per month. the location is not in Muscat but in Ibra. I have a family of 4 people including 2 kids going to primary school who I intent to enroll in an international school program, perhaps in Muscat. I wonder if the offer was good enough to cover our expenses and save some since we moving from Canada.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

Ibra is a very small (Village) sort of town that is approximately 300kms away from Muscat. You're going to find it extremely difficult to have a social life. OMR 1800 to be offered in IBRA is a good salary, but if you're a heavily experienced person, you're seriously compromising your career. There ain't gonna be any R&D and instead, all you need to do is to just handle the local students who can't even communicate in English except a very very few who might can atleast convey you what they wanna say.

COL is extremely cheap in IBRA. I guess you can easily get a 3 BR apartment there, probably in OMR 150 or near.

I would suggest you to think wisely before taking a decision.

Thank you Schaz! I'll certainly think much before deciding :)

Abbahba wrote:

I received an offer of 1800 omr per month..... we moving from Canada.

Hi Abbahba
A salary of RO 1800 is reasonable considering the location. BTW do you have a Western qualification? The pay scale is generally higher if you hold a degree from US/Canada/UK/Australia!!

Yes, I do have degrees from both US and Canada. I am now negotiating their offer. We will see how it goes. Thank you SenseOfHumour!

Dear,
    One point you might want to consider is that you probably won't be able to find good schools in IBRA for your own kids (do a little research on this) and since the only good international schools are in Muscat and it is 300 KMs away; then how are you planning to handle all this? will you have two homes; one in Muscat for the family and one in IBRA for your own self and then visit every weekend here? ? ? ? 1,800/- is not bad then will probably push it up to 2,200/- but then again; do look into all of these things. Then again you will be moving here for a better earning and more savings; so, do weight out all of your options.

That salary is pretty good for IBRA. But it is a small place and you will miss city life for sure. Then as Mumtazkhan rightly said, you may have to find a school in Muscat for your kids if you need an international school. But then, Indian school which is following the CBSE model and pattern is pretty good and has a very low fees base. If your children can get admitted there, then no issues at all. But please let me know whether the job is in College of technology IBRI or some other institution. Your reply will make me analyze your position better and advise you in a better way.

ASU is the school, thanks!

Please give me the full form of ASU. Thanks. I still think it is a pretty good offer and you can live life kingsize with that salary in a place like IBRI.

Hii Abbahba,
I am looking  for job in gulf contry and perhabs in IBRA, with Alsharqia unversity, so please can you tell me if you got the AP position? and how about salary?
thanks in advance
BR
Nour