Bringing a Car from UK to Malta

I have recently returned to UK from Cape Town and am moving to Malta next week. I understood that if I bought a car in england and drove down to malta I would get six months before being asked to register it- I am reluctant to register prior to that as I am uncertain as to how the job etc will work out and dont want to incur the cost of registering without understanding my earning potential-any thoughts gratefully recieved!!

You have 6 months, but only if you remain a tourist - if you get a work permit you will have to register it immediately

Also, I think if you've owned the car outsde Malta in the EU for 2+ years you are exempt from registration, but only whilst you own it...if you subsequently sell it in Malta you will owe the registration tax...I might be wrong on that bit though.

cc-advocates.com/news/20090203-car-registration-tax-abolished-on-relocation-to-malta

Tim

Here's all the official information about exemptions or reflief from registration tax:

transport.gov.mt/Page.aspx?pageid=574&lid=1#

Thanks for the replies they were invaluable. I have now found a car and hope to buy it tomorrow and head through europe next week but have hit another stumbling block re insurance. Canm I insure a UK registered car in Malta on the basis that I am only in the country for an initial 6 month contract with a view to registering should the job work out?

If its on foreign number plates then its difficult to insure in Malta - prob better to insure in UK

And don't forget to get a letter from your British insurance company stating your no claims discount. Without you could run into trouble too.I just had to get one from my German insurance company even though I was starting on 100% and not transferring my 22 year no claims bonus from Germany to Malta.

When I asked why I was told it is because of the high accident rate by foreigners so they are cautious with new policies!

Ricky, Does one need a letter from your vehicle insurance company, no matter what country you're coming from, to get Maltese insurance? :cool:

Hi Dee,

Well, you can either transfer your no-claims bonus from your present insurance company to Malta.Then you need the letter stating the details.

In my case, coming from Germany, I'm keeping my car running in Germany but still needed the letter to get insurance here in Malta.I got coverage at 100 % on my word  but they  wanted the letter which I delivered 2 weeks later. Now it is ok! I've been driving for 22 years without accident.

I don't think it depends on the country you come from , they want you to prove your driving record.

Ricky

Yes - any country, to get credit for any no-claims bonus you have...I had to get my US Car Insurance company to provide a letter stating all and any claims over the past 4 or 5 years, as they don't really have the same concept of a "no-claims discount" over there. If you're not bothered about the no claims discount or you wouldn't get any discount because of a recent claim, then no need for the letter.

My insurance company were reluctant to give me a policy without details of my past driving record.They did require the letter from my German insurance company even without giving me a any kind of no-claims discout.
They granted preliminary coverage for the registration but I had to deliver the letter 2 weeks later.Then it was ok.
It seems they are playing things safe with foreigners.

Ricky

Interesting - thast was not my experience. Maybe things have changed since January or maybe it depends on the Insurance Co - there are several...shop around and see.

HI Tim,

actually I was told that things have changed recently!But maybe it is Gasan Mamo , the company I chose. But it is something to be aware of when getting car insurance as a foreigner.

Ricky

Thanks Ricky & Tim,  We will get a letter anyway from here just in case...have to have it translated.  I guess its best to be over prepared!

Any info about the MOT transfer?
If car have a new MOT still need to do VRT here?

yes still need a VRT in Malta

ok, thanx eu!

My husband is thinking of shipping our 1959 Series 2 Land Rover which he has just finished overhauling. As a classic "car" would there be any exemptions to the usual red tape and costs? We would be shipping from South Africa not the EU.

Hi Biddy,

if you are moving your residence permanently to Malta the vehicle would be exempt from registration tax if you have owned the Land Rover for more than 2 years and you provide all documentation on arrival.

Yearly road tax would be lower for a vintage car! But in Malta you always have the usual red tape ! No exemptions -)))

I'm not sure about the customs due on a car being brought from outside the EU to Malta. That is a different issue and probably depends on the value of the Land Rover.

Considering shipping costs I would consider bringing the Land Rover. It is too big for Malta or do you really need it? Might be better to sell it in SA and buy a car here in Malta. The only real reason I can think of is that you want to protect yourself against bad driving in Malta but if you encounter an Arriva bus in one of the narrow streets it won't help -)))

Regards
Ricky

Hi Ricky
Appreciate your input. As to protection against bad driving or a bus - not a chance as it has an aluminium body - but does have a bullbar and an awesome trailer hitch. But the expense of shipping is a major consideration. Just thought we'd get all the info. we could before making a final decision.

ricky wrote:

Hi Biddy,

if you are moving your residence permanently to Malta the vehicle would be exempt from registration tax if you have owned the Land Rover for more than 2 years and you provide all documentation on arrival.

isn't that only if the car is coming from within the EU ?

The form on the TM website states that customs clearance documents have to be provided if the vehicle has been registered in a country from outside the EU so it sounds as if the registration tax exemption counts when you move your permanent residence from outside the EU to Malta.

Otherwise the regulations do not specifically make a difference between EU or non-EU.

Cheers
Ricky

Hi,

I've just gone through the same process so maybe I could add some info that may help you.

Originally was going to buy a nice old Mercedes SL, but having seen the roads, mechanics, parking, driving etc. thought better of it and decided on a Smart car.

You can get upto 7 months relief to pay the tax but you must satisfy some criteria, like most things in Malta this is not clearly defined, but one way or another if you can supply them with what they need it shouldn't be a problem.

I decided to ship it via a transporter - adamcini.com approx cost is EUR 900 including insurance. Leaves on a Thursday from the UK arrives into Malta on the Monday.

You can insure the car in Malta on UK plates as long as it's got a valid MOT and is taxed in the UK If you send me a PM I can give you a contact no of a local broker who will do this for you.

Hi rsl,

thanks for your input!

The last case on this topic was actually about a Land Rover possibly being shipped from South Africa so probably also a different cost factor applies.

Regards
Ricky

Hi there
Would really appreciate any more info on insuring a UK plate vehicle in using Maltese ins co.
I have a traders policy here in the UK which will cover me but must inform them and obtain a green card. Can only assume that will be expensive and complicated in the event of an accident in Malta.
Intending to take up residence and once I'm documented I'll import the car which i have owned for 6 years.
Any suggestions welcome
Cheers

make sure you can fully prove ownership for over 2 years - receipts bills servicing payments etc.....you will eventually have to re-plate it with maltese plates - insurance here is not expensive..running, breakdown and accident repairs in my opinion have not been too bad either.

This is the requirement for exemption ....

Any person transferring his/her residence from a place outside Malta to a place in Malta is entitled, under the Motor Vehicles Registration and Licensing Act (Cap. 368), to an exemption from
Motor Vehicle Registration Tax on an M1 vehicle (a vehicle used for the carriage of not more than eight passengers in addition to the driver) or a cycle (motor cycles, motor tricycles and quadricycles) which has been registered in the name of that person for a continuous period of at least twenty-four months immediately before the date of his/her transfer of residence to Malta and is still so registered when the vehicle is imported or brought into Malta. That person should also have lived outside Malta for a continuous period of at least twenty-four months immediately before transferring his/her residence to Malta.
A person who went to live outside Malta primarily for the purpose of pursuing a course of studies for duration of less than five years does not qualify for an exemption.
A vehicle is to be declared for exemption not earlier than two months before the date on which applicant becomes normally resident in Malta and not later then twelve months following that date.
A vehicle that has already arrived in Malta, the application has to be made by the person transferring his residence within 30 days from the arrival of the vehicle in Malta.

So if your vehicle is not registered in your name, perhaps a business then you will not get the exemption. Keep your ferry tickets as you will need to prove the vehicles arrival date, also detailed bank statements to prove you lived outside Malta for 24 months. The other thing that people forget is that you cannot then sell, transfer, scrap, or give away the vehicle without repaying the import duty.

Terry

I think you can scrap it, but not certain

georgeingozo wrote:

I think you can scrap it, but not certain

I checked with TM and what they said was the tax has to be repaid but the amount will depend on how long it has been in Malta. When I pushed them into giving a figure they just said apply for the change and we will tell you then!

Terry

Does anyone know how much the tax is if you bring a car in that you have owned for less than 2 years, thanks

Dianneg48 wrote:

Does anyone know how much the tax is if you bring a car in that you have owned for less than 2 years, thanks

http://www.valuation.vehicleregistratio … hicle.aspx

And if I register my car with this exemption and then after 3 years I want to take it to another country? Do I get back my previous licence plates? Do I have to pay Maltese registration tax?

oscar_PL wrote:

Do I get back my previous licence plates? Do I have to pay Maltese registration tax?

no and no

So I could move to a new place, register it there and sell it?

thanks Lusco, my god it's expensive we are going to buy over there x

oscar_PL wrote:

So I could move to a new place, register it there and sell it?

yes

As i understood it, if I have owned my vehicle for more than 2 years there would be no import tax.My shipping company have toldme to be cautious as this is not written in stone and customs can decide on the spot, regardless of how long I have owned it for as to whether i will have to pay or not, quoting anything up too 2000E once it's in port

They have told me that once it is there, I'm in the lap of the gods as it would cost me more than that to send it back

This has got me quite concerned

follow the rules to the letter and you'll get the exemption

Me too,you're not alone although it can feel like that...
As the other expat said stick to the rules...You can only try your best.
Always good to bounce off someone.
There's usually a solution.
I'm in Swieqi,where are you..

Xewkija bound wrote:

As i understood it, if I have owned my vehicle for more than 2 years there would be no import tax.My shipping company have toldme to be cautious as this is not written in stone and customs can decide on the spot, regardless of how long I have owned it for as to whether i will have to pay or not, quoting anything up too 2000E once it's in port

They have told me that once it is there, I'm in the lap of the gods as it would cost me more than that to send it back

This has got me quite concerned

Its not written in stone its written in law, see this link
http://www.transport.gov.mt/admin/uploa … 090659.pdf

Follow the guidelines and there should be no problems.

Terry