Transportation from Thao Dien Village District 2

Hi all

I am relocating to HCMC next month working for a company with office in the city. I have just found an apartment in District 2 and was wondering how much taxi fare from there to the city?

The annoying thing is my company does not provide transportation allowance and I do not want to spend a substantial  amount per month on taxi. Can you please advise if there are any alternative options to commute from District 2 to the city?

Thanks everyone!

Alex

Dear Alex,

Our premises providing daily free city shuttles to the city center, district 1. Please keep me informed if you have any further advice : ).

Best regards,
Nguyen Hieu Loc

I live in Thao Dien; took vinasun taxi to Ben Thanh market; cost 150k vnd per trip.

So you are looking at 450 usd per month if you do 2 trips per day 7 days a week.

I agree with ABCABCABC. We used to live in Hoang Anh Gia Lai in Thao Dien and we pay around 150k as well.

Best if you can find a place that provides shuttle bus (e.g. Estella Apartments has a shuttle bus to Ben Than for 20k/trip.)

Just another option that I've never tried in Vietnam but read about.

Uber is cheaper than taxis. Though due to it's short supply of drivers you'll have a longer wait time than taxis but the Uber app should show you where all the Uber taxis are and how long it will get to your place. You also don't need to be worried being taken in circles and don't need to pay the driver at the end of each trip. (credit card directly to Uber in the US)

So ABCABCABC,  how do you commute to work or to the city?

Catch a local bus or get a motorbike license and ride.

Estella shuttle only goes into the city at 8am, 11.20am and 5.40pm - return trips are only at certain times also. It only has certain drop off points and costs 25,000 Dong each way.....

khanh, is Uber really cheaper than the normal taxi? Do you have a rate comparison?

thepulser89 05 June 2015 23:17:56
So ABCABCABC,  how do you commute to work or to the city?

I use vinasun taxi. I only have short distant to work daily (less than 3 kms).

you can also take the public bus; very cheap; there are many public buses to the city center from Thao Dien

One more option you can consider is motorbike rental. You can contact 0906135343 ms tuyen dist 2 for more detail

Get your international drivers PERMIT from the NRMA before you leave. (make sure it has Vietnam listed in the accepting countries, ring them, sight it first, ask why its not listed. They are pedantic _ricks here.)
Make sure you bring your OZ MOTORBIKE Drivers license with you as well. Get a new one if its going to run out soon.
Then rent a bike here for just less than 1 million a month.

If you dont have a OZ motorbike licence, get one.  Its a lot easier than getting one here. The test is in Vietnamese!

Redbeard42 wrote:

Get your international drivers PERMIT from the NRMA before you leave. (make sure it has Vietnam listed in the accepting countries, ring them, sight it first, ask why its not listed. They are pedantic _ricks here.)
Make sure you bring your OZ MOTORBIKE Drivers license with you as well. Get a new one if its going to run out soon.
Then rent a bike here for just less than 1 million a month.

If you dont have a OZ motorbike licence, get one.  Its a lot easier than getting one here. The test is in Vietnamese!

I agree! If you are getting a new motorcycle license, try to get some riding experience, too. It will help you greatly.

If you wish to ride the motorbike in VN and want to have a license... Just pm me, I will instruct you as I did it for my hubby (it's free advice) as I saw many foreigners gone through the agents and paid a big amount

river.hana wrote:

If you wish to ride the motorbike in VN and want to have a license... Just pm me, I will instruct you as I did it for my hubby (it's free advice) as I saw many foreigners gone through the agents and paid a big amount

As the forum is all about the exchange of information and advice could you please post the information here as it may help others.
Thank you.