Using A Wheelchair or Mobility Scooter In Ho Chi Minh City

I recently asked in this thread (link) about taking my 4-wheel electric mobility scooter on my flight back to Vietnam (yes, I can on Vietnam Airlines).

Now I'm wondering if anyone can share PERSONAL EXPERIENCE or observations about using an electric wheelchair or mobility scooter to get around in District 1 HCMC and nearby areas.

I'll be bringing this 4-wheel scooter (link) with me on the flight to SGN airport (it does easily disassemble into 4 main parts).

I'll initially be staying in Vũng Tàu when I arrive in the first week of July, but I'll be back to district 1 for 2 or 3 days later in the month.

I can walk short distances (1 city block) with a cane while wearing a prosthetic boot on my foot.

However, I love to be an urban explorer, so I'm hoping my fiancée and I can rediscover some of our favorite places easily and independently.

So, some questions:

1. Did you find it difficult to navigate the sidewalks/streets on your mobility device?

2. Did you find any van services specializing in wheelchair transport?

I can use a large SUV when the scooter chair is broken down into 4 pieces, but I might be interested in paying more for a van with a lift, under certain circumstances.

Thanks for any helpful replies.
Hi OD,

By doing VN way, it will be ultimately alright using your mini four wheels but it has got to be on the main road. Even in Singapore, almost ever rider ( with such scooter ) will do the same by riding on main road despite the superb and over user friendly pathway. Disregard to road hogging, showing your disability ( no heart feeling yea ) will grant sympathy by most commuters that pass by you while you ride. A sound reasonable person will understand and move on while other or almost none will try to be a prick for short instances. Believe you are not taking advantage, thus just commute and with utmost courtesy that you may.

Just do what you have to do but navigating in D1 with your mini ride will be a challenge. Depending on where you are heading, mostly pathway is not user friendly. Slope, uneven, trees, rubbish or worst porthole is the obstacle and maneuvering over these will proliferate to the competency of your mini ride especially riding in 2 persons. The only thinking hat that you need is when you are tired and butt numb ( if any ) while "stranded" in a secluded corner, then your Q2 will prevail which I doubt so there are such services. Else having full stack of Mr. Ho face with you, your demand will instantly turning anybody especially Grab drivers into Macguyer mode which they are more willing to assist. Repercussion, your blink blink mini ride may suffered scurrilous handling while being handle if that you could tolerate.

1f605.svg
I'd call my general experience a success.

First, the staff at my hotel were very helpful, both in unloading the parts of my scooter and carrying them up the front steps for reassembly; providing parking out of the way in the lobby.

A few of them asked if they could ride it, and I let the concierge I've gotten to know in the past move it across the lobby for me.

Later I was given permission to come and go through the hotel courtyard and the ramped service entrance.

I first took it out last night, with my fiancée walking alongside me, from the Opera House area to a sushi restaurant in Japan Town, normally about a 7 minute walk.

The restaurant parked my scooter in the spot closest to the front door so I only needed to walk with my cane to the inside elevator and our room on the third floor (where we were met by my attorney, her mother and her fiancé whom I'd previously met in her home about 2 years ago).

Getting back to the hotel through Japan Town was uneventful, using sidewalks about 90 percent of the time and hugging the curb when I needed to be in the street.

Today was a much more challenging trip:

Starting at the Opera House area we traveled to the US Consulate, about 1km away.

There are many areas where the sidewalks are blocked by food vendors, construction and parked motorbikes, so I was out in the street, as close to the curb as possible, for about 40 percent of the time.

No real problems sharing the far right lane with motorbike traffic.

I did reach a corner where the sidewalk didn't have a handicapped ramp to the street (ironically, catty-corner from the US Consulate; beacon of Americans with Disabilities Act rights).

I just needed to dismount and slowly maneuver the scooter down from the sidewalk to the crosswalk below.

Once I discovered the correct approach where I could get my scooter past the sidewalk barriers, I made it into the American Citizen Services (ACS) entrance where they inspected and stored the scooter and transferred me to a manual wheelchair pushed by my fiancée.

I offered to walk inside the compound with my cane, but they insisted we use the wheelchair.

When I'd finished having them notarize 3 documents for me, we left and continued on to the Trung Tâm Dịch Vụ Đối Ngoại (Foreign Service Center) Google Maps link about 800 meters away, where the Vietnamese government basically notarizes all of the US Consulate's notarizations, thus making them acceptable for use within Việt Nam, including translations, if requested.

When we finished there, we headed back to our hotel next to the Opera House (about 900 meters away).

The main problems we encountered (at city park Công viên 30/4 and later at Vincom Plaza) were the motorbike barricades that so completely shut out motorbike traffic that it's impossible for any kind of wheelchair to pass.

So from the Consulate to the Foreign Services building and back to our hotel, I was probably in the street over 50 percent of the time.

I think it was very helpful that I'd already spent a lot of time walking around D1 in the past.

I felt as if I had just as much right to use the street as a woman with a flower cart or a motorbike driver would.

So while I wouldn't recommend a similar endeavor by a short-term tourist unfamiliar with the streets of Việt Nam, or someone unable to get out of their wheelchair and do the things I've mentioned, I'm sure a person living in Việt Nam, in circumstances similar to mine, could successfully use a mobility scooter in and around their own neighborhood.
OB,
and I call your life's outlook, wonderfully refreshing, marvelous, dep.
Live long, living strong.
Mac.