Renewable energy in Puerto Rico?

Read here how government and PREPA (or AEE) did/do all they can to frustrate renewable power projects.

Interesting article Gary - thanks for sharing.  I'm surprised that there aren't more windmills around the island.  As stated in the article, you would think that PR would be a great place to experiment with different renewable energy options.

Puerto Rico is running out of feet to shoot. It makes one scream.

This will be of interest for residents of Rincon.

Two meetings are happening tomorrow and the next day, and that can be connected to renewable energy.

facebook.com/PVerdeRincon/photos/a.720747734644427.1073741828.713059542079913/934420283277170/?type=1&theater

More reading: Why Is Puerto Rico Burning Oil to Generate Electricity? It's completely insane.

Thank you Deborah.  I'm not in Rincon until 4 June, but interested in what happens!

Good article, Gary, and great question!  Why are they still burning so much petroleum?  Takes money to build infrastructure but they certainly could start in renewable energies.  I've seen the windmills.

The power authority has something like $9 billion debt so there's no way they can invest in anything. They have more than a hard time to meet the scheduled payments.

What I wonder is how the h*** is it possible that a power company can have so much debt and for what? With their rates they should have made a profit..

You of all people should know why the power co. has no money. It's owned by the government and the government has no money, Why? CORRUPTION on a major scale. The money that should be going to infrastructucture and updating facilities is instead going to "palas". People high up in the company are giving jobs to cousins, their sister's friend's brother in law, the contractor who did a political favor and they are paying them all obscene salaries. Why do you think polititians make such a big production every election time? It's not to run the government. It's to tap into the money source in the government. It's been that way for years and everybody has turned a blind eye to it. But the ride has come to and end. It's time to pay the piper. PR has to get some people in there and actually run the government properly.

Gregg, I know all that and yes, you're right.
Still, unless the government has been using PREPA money for other purposes  it still amazes me that a power company cab accumulate so much debt.

Here's another article: Power Problems: Puerto Rico's Electric Utility Faces Crippling Debt

I read YEARS ago that PREPA is in over their heads! They cut people off, very poor people, with children, if they don't pay their bills... the company that owns the generators was threatening to take them back, and the Govoner (the one before Fortuño) said he's mobilize the national guard, if they tried to take them!

It is really just a huge mess and no one seems to want to work on some sort of solution.

Huge mess! Not just the power authority; the entire government structure... corruption, kickbacks, abound! They cry about the rising cost of energy, as they line their pockets with cash, while they don't pay their own debts. They fund bogus projects, shut down streets with NO WARNINGS or NOTICES... yet the street lights are on 24hrs a day, 7 days a week... unless of course, the power goes out!

Here is more information that is related to this particular thread.

http://puertoricomonitor.blogspot.com/2 … html#links

How is everyone about the more than 42% increase in water authority bills, for "environmental compliance", as I was told on the telephone, by a service rep of theirs. I asked what sort of environmental compliance, and they only would say it was "approved in 2013" and no further comments could be coaxed from them.

Where is there proof of the 'passage' of this increase in the Puerto Rico 2013 legislation? Or Who or what group "approved" of this?
http://www.gdb-pur.com/investors_resour … sures.html

I ended up on the above link via this website http://www.gdb-pur.com/investors_resources/prasa.html. On the left hand side of the water authority's website is a column with options. I clicked on the option of "Relevant Legislative Measures", and ended up on the above website. 

I am unable to find a 2013 passage of this increase. Maybe it does not exist? Or this happened in another year?

Has anyone else gotten notified?

Hi Schuttzie

My landlady pays for the water bill, so I have not been directly notified.
But she did recently email me and gave me tips on how to conserve water - which I'd been doing all along.

---

Thanks, Deborah, sounds like she may have received notice also.

Hi again Schuttzie ~ and All ~
Over here we need to install several rain collection barrels, otherwise we're doing all we can knowingly do to save money on the water bill, and conserve water.