English speakers in Agadir

Hi All,
My wife and I are moving to Agadir in September of this year and would like to get to know a few expats and/or English speakers to met up with over a coffee once a week or so.
We are coming to Agadir Friday 13th March for a short break and wondered if anyone wanted to meet up for a chat? It would be good for us to meet a few 'locals'. We have owned the apartment for 3 years, but until now, we have used it as a holiday home. I guess we have visited Agadir 15-20 times in the past 3 years.
Please message me if you would like to meet up at Cafe La Fountain or at a beach front cafe for an hour or so, for a coffee and a chat.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Doug and Hazel

Hi Doug and Hazel, nice to know you are moving to agadir, my favourite place as well. I will be moving to agadir but will be coming back to uk every other few months as i have some ties here. But believe me as you are probably aware that the life is sunny, natural, easy going and beautiful atmosphere. I have been going to agadir since 2007 and cant count how many times i have been there. Most of the locals know me and few of my berber friends took me to their kasba and met their families as well.  I might be coming by end of march or april for small visit. But will decide this year exactly where in agadir i should be staying. I have stayed in aureer and had apartment for a year, but did not stay there constantly. I would be grateful if you would send me your local phone no, me and my partner will contact you either here or agadir. By the way I am a doctor by profession. look forward to hear from you. my e-mail is [email protected]

Hi Asmin
You can private message me on this site.
Please do contact me from September 2015 onwards. We will have 'Moroccan' phone numbers by then.
We would love to meet up.
Hazel and i will be travelling to the UK every 3 months or so as we have children and other family members there.
Hope to hear from you and you wife in Sept/Oct/Nov

Best regards
Doug & Hazel

Thank you for your reply i will contact you in september or if you remember to send me your moroccan mobile no, I will appreciate and be pleased to meet you. take care. dr asim

Thank you for your reply. I will message you once we move.

Hi Doug & Hazel,
have just joined this site & seen your message. My family and i will be in Agadir from 23 April for short holiday & family wedding, appreciate you may not be there same time, but am looking to make contact with fellow Brits with strong connections to/in Agadir. My husband is originally from there and after seven years living in England the time is coming for us to move to Agadir and i would like to establish my own friendship group there...  Maybe we could get together sometime, possibly in uk if not Agadir (i think we live not too far away) and share our experiences etc.
hope to hear from you soon, kind regards.
Karen B

What a shame Karen, as I am in Agadir 16th to 23rd arranging some building work. Please private message me. We would love to meet up with you in the UK as we live in Colchester. Maybe we could meet up for a meal and or a drink.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Doug & Hazel

Just being curious if you managed to get a meet-up together for March or not.

I have not made any plans yet but hope to get to Agadir later this year, or/and even better still to try and get somewhere to stay for a few weeks during our winter period.

Nobody was available. I will move to Agadir mid September and try again then. It may be a struggle, but I will persevere.

TBH it always seems people really struggle to get meet-ups of the ground, especially when basically talking with people who do not know one-another.

I'm going to one in Turkey next month (god the things I do for a free sandwich) and if compared to others I have also been to and even then with most people knowing each other but for one reason or another maybe 50% will still not turn up, so the best thing is just to try again when you are ready and 'hope for the best' but as per usual settle on a location that people will feel safe/secure and none threatening, I say that simply because sometimes people can be a bit sceptic and need reassuring that there is nothing also untoward, such as just wanting to meet people to be able to try and sell them some service or other.

Phil_h wrote:

I say that simply because sometimes people can be a bit sceptic and need reassuring that there is nothing also untoward, such as just wanting to meet people to be able to try and sell them some service or other.

I'm sorry to say that this has been my experience of "expat" meetings when locals are involved. In my last placement in the developing world we had a terrible problem of arranging meetings for expats that locals would turn up to and then subsequently offer all sorts of services, some of them extremely dubious or illegal. Some even thought the "rich foreigners" would buy their meal and/or drinks and we had a couple of unpleasant run-ins with bar and restaurant owners when we refused and left it for the authorities to sort out. I didn't know about this forum then. In the end we had to ban anyone who was clearly not an expat from our FB group and refuse to let locals participate in meetings if they slipped through the net. It's a shame really as it meant that those (very few, I'm afraid) genuine locals who may have been able to contribute correctly had to be excluded too. I don't see a solution to this and from reading the threads here, including some very old ones, it seems to be a recurring problem in Morocco too, maybe even worse.

Yes, I agree. I would always suggest a public area such as a town centre or beach front cafe in a good area of town. Good luck with your meeting.

Hello all, I am moving to Agadir from Marrakech in May. I know Agadir a little so am looking to make some English speaking contact to meet and have a coffee or a beer together and get to know the city better. My French is so poor that I need to have time with English speakers.  I am Tibetan by origin but grew up in the UK. Have lived in Marrakech for 6 yrs but now closed my business and am looking to relax in Agadir now. If anyone would like to meet up please let me know and I will give you my contact details. Hoping to make some friend here in Agadir. Thanks. Lobsang

Hi Lobsang,
I am not moving to Agadir until mid September. Please feel free to message me then and maybe we could arrange to meet over a cup of mint tea or coffee.
Regards
Doug

Hi Doug
Certainly will do. Look forward to having chat over a coffee or tea and hear a bit of English banter. Have a pleasant move.
Regards
Lobsang

SvenStockholm wrote:

[
..... it seems to be a recurring problem in Morocco too, maybe even worse.

No it's not just Morocco, it's the same the world over, okay, maybe some countries are just worse than others, but I think a nice firm ''GO AWAY'' (being polite for the forum sake) as early as possible might be beneficial.

I'm hoping to get out mid September for a holiday, so will also be keeping a eye on the thread to see if anything develops closer to the time.
(maybe 2nd OR 3rd week, so for myself it would be handy if people start putting down what date they will be in Agadir),

Hi everybody,

I would like to inform you that some inappropriate posts have been removed.

Thanks

Priscilla  :cheers:

Thank you. Some things were not very relevant.

Thank you Priscilla

It's not inappropriate to point out absurdities. While others might laugh and move along at some of the ludicrous posts, or not be aware of what's really going on, I tend to make my feelings known for the benefit of members. If they don't like it, they can simply ignore it. The purpose of this site is to share your experience. That's what I'm simply doing.

Good morning lobsang,

It was great yesterday thank you so much, see you again soon :)

Have a nice day

Hi emy87,

Thank YOU for paying for the coffee and all the information about Agadir. Really useful. Definitely should meet again and this time my turn to pay. haha.

If there are any another English speakers in Agadir who would like to join and meet for a drink please let me know. I will organise something where we can all meet.

Lobsang

Hi again,

My pleasure :) yes of course we wanna have a big group and nice people to share good moments :)

Enjoy this sunny day, am working :(

i will be coming to agadir by end august or september will be pleased to meet you. As my language is english. please let me know contact details. dr mir

Would bey pleasure to meet you when you arrive in Agadir. As it's quite a long time away please contact me again once you are here.
I look forward to meeting you. Best regards

hi karen this is dr mir here as you said we probably can meet or talk on phone in uk please dont hesitate to send me your contact no. many thanks. dr mir

Hello Dr Mir,

Sure just let us know once you are here :)

Regards,

Re: English speaking in Agadir/ social gathering
Hi im julia from Stoke on Trent, England  I'm thinking of moving to agadir next year I would love to join in... I'm in agadir in July, sept, November 2015 please keep me in mind for events??

Hi Julia,

When you arrive in Agadir send me a private message and then I will send you my contact details. Would be happy to meet up with you and introduce you some of my english speaking friends. Its quick then to discover other people who speak English.

Regards
Lobsang

Salam Alukom How are you doing ? i hope That you Are fine . AAny way my name is Hamza and i come from Morocco from Agadir city
i want to said That you are very welcome to Agadir i am gona be Happy if i met you here And Show you Around You are very welcome and as we said Here 1000 Marahba
if you want we can Met . Just let me know

Hi,
I haven't been to agadir I just wanted to know how the people are over there if anyone can tell me a little about agadir and the people there.
Thankyou.😊

Hazel and I move to Agadir 15th Sept. If anyone is around and wants to meet up over tea or coffee, please message me.

Hi, It would be a pleasure to meet up with English speakers in Agadir. I spend time between Morocco and the US, and It would be great to have a network of English speakers in Agadir...Which is lacking if you ask me! I'll be in Agadir starting from Sept 2nd, and it would be a pleasure to hear from you guys!

Have u moved yet we going on hols  in sept would live meet up with people who know bit about the place

We move on 15th September.  Happy to meet up and chat most days after 16th. Message me if this works for you.
We have been travelling to Agadir for 6 years and have visited at least 20 times so we have a reasonable knowledge of the city.

Hi,
I've never been to agadir but sounds good might be going on holiday there. What's it like and which part of agadir is best,

Hi there ,
my name is hasna i live in agadir by origin , and it will please my to meet you and presenting help !
welcome to agadir .

Hi there !
my name is hasna , i noted that you are moving to agadir and looking for someone to be friend with , i am ready then ! if you need any held , i am not speaking english very well at all , any way you are welcome in agadir . you can contact me by sending a message .
Regards ,
Hasna .

Hi hasna,
Thank you for your help I don't know when I will be visiting but very soon. Are you on Facebook?

I'm American and looking for Expats.!😊 I have lived in Agadir for four years!❤