Want to talk about your life as an expat in India?

Hey India-Expats,

(N.B. Some of you may have seen my posts in other places, I'm trying to make as many contacts as possible, not trying to spam you!)

My name is Rachel Mossey, I'm an undergrad at Reed college applying for a fellowship to study expatriates, and I'm hoping some of you will be interested in talking with me. You can read a little about the project below, then message me through expat-blog or email me if you're interested.

The fellowship is called the Watson, and it's for a year of independent travel outside the U.S. (you can read more about it at watsonfellowship.org/site/index.html).

My project is titled:

Stranger in a Strange Land:
Expatriate Identity and the Pursuit of Happiness

It's about expats who left their home countries in search of something. I plan to inquire about what they were looking for, whether they found it, what makes them stay, how they identify themselves in their new country, and how they fit into the hierarchy of belonging there. Basically, I'm just completely fascinated by expats and want to talk about their lives and the lessons they've learned.

I'm interested in going to 6 different countries which I have identified as meccas for expats searching to meet 6 existential needs. They are: Spain for Art, France for Love, India for Spirit, New Zealand for Natural Beauty, Peru for Adventure, and Norway for Lifestyle. I'm of course interested in more motivations, but those are just a jumping-off tool for finding people/identifying communities.

I was wondering anyone would be interested in talking with me, both now and in the event that I am awarded the fellowship, about life as an Expat in India (or if you know anyone who would). It wouldn't involve anything formal, I'm just looking to connect, really. I'm also trying to build contacts as part of my application, so if you do want to talk, I would love permission to list your name and working title. This would neither be public nor binding.

Let me know what you think, I'm really passionate about my project and would love to talk with you further.  Feel free to ask for any additional information about me or my project. Thanks!

-Rachel Mossey
Reed College '11
Portland, Oregon
mosseyr-at-reed.edu
1-603-801-1293

I decided to retire to India from UK 4 years ago.

Reasons - ecconomic (its cheap to live)
          weather (its predictable and much better than UK)
          A fascination with India and all things Indian