Obtaining a Vietnam VEC outside Vietnam.

Well to a cut a long story short I am getting married in Dallas to a VN citizen March 2nd , I then plan to go to Houston to get a VEC at the Consulate there before returning to Vietnam [I am English and been living here in Nha Trang10 years].

What I am trying to find out is other than the obvious [Passports Wedding Certificate copy of family book etc] is any other paperwork needed, and if anyone has applied for a VEC outside Vietnam approximately how long did the process take.

I know I could do it here when we both get back but things like this in Nha Trang always seem so much harder.

I did search and find one member who actually did do this in Houston; I have written to him privately but would appreciate any info. Thanks.

I don't think they issue VEC's anymore. Hope someone proves me wrong.

khanh44 wrote:

I don't think they issue VEC's anymore. Hope someone proves me wrong.

Yes they do, I just got issued my second VEC this year. It is exactly the same as the one before 2015.

daveinvietnam wrote:

Well to a cut a long story short I am getting married in Dallas to a VN citizen March 2nd , I then plan to go to Houston to get a VEC at the Consulate there before returning to Vietnam [I am English and been living here in Nha Trang10 years].

What I am trying to find out is other than the obvious [Passports Wedding Certificate copy of family book etc] is any other paperwork needed, and if anyone has applied for a VEC outside Vietnam approximately how long did the process take.

I know I could do it here when we both get back but things like this in Nha Trang always seem so much harder.

I did search and find one member who actually did do this in Houston; I have written to him privately but would appreciate any info. Thanks.

Check out the official Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for VEC info and application here: http://mienthithucvk.mofa.gov.vn/Suppor … fault.aspx

That's what I thought when I posted it on another posting. I was sure Snake got one but some people jumped on me saying I was wrong.

Thank you so much for that, I suppose a question of knowing where to look, strangely enough that same info is on the Houston Website with no English translation [I had a friend translate this morning and you can see by the layout its the same], but it is a lot more comforting to read in English.

Slightly off the topic but I came up against something this morning that surprised me and may well cause a few problems for Expats and I apologize now if this is something known to all but I have a feeling its something very new, just by the way the typed explanation was on hand and given to me.

I went into Vietcombank 3 hours ago as I needed to deposit just a few million extra on my card so as to have enough to buy my ticket to fly USA, and I was not allowed to deposit money, the paper she gave me explained that  foreigner's can no longer deposit money into a Vietnamese bank a/c, well not in the normal way as was done previously, I did not read exact detail's as to what you now have to do but you have to explain with documented proof how you got that money, as in from your business giving details of that business and all sorts of other info. I am fortunate enough that I have my pensions paid in from abroad directly into my a/c in so its just a question of waiting a few days, but I can see this may cause a few problems for some.

Foreigners cannot deposit money into their own accounts without explanation of source. But you can transfer money from the wife's account into yours by ATM funds transfer. Another way to track whether your monies are 'legal' or not?