Cost of living in Australia – 2015

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Australia in 2015, with an updated price listing.

Don't forget to mention in which city of Australia you are living in.

How much does it cost to live in Australia?

> accommodation prices

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.)

> food prices (your monthly budget)

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance)

> education prices (if you need to pay)

> energy prices (oil, electricity)

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone)

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant

> price for a coffee or a drink

> price for cinema tickets

Do not hesitate to add items to this list! ;)

Thank you in advance for your participation.

Expat.com wrote:

Hi all,

We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Australia in 2015, with an updated price listing.
Don't forget to mention in which city of Australia you are living in.

Brisbane

Expat.com wrote:

How much does it cost to live in Australia?
> accommodation prices

Depends on location (inner city or outskirts)
apartment/house between $500-$1000 a week (rental) 

Expat.com wrote:

bus is depending on zones travelled
between $5-$20 a trip.. train similar pricing

Expat.com wrote:

For us 2 people ~$100 a week

Expat.com wrote:

we don't need that

Expat.com wrote:

not cheap no matter private or public school all depending on location/school/uni

Expat.com wrote:

electricity is ~ $100 a month (no aircon/ pool)
petrol is currently ~ $1 litre
there is no central heating in Brisbane (oil)

Expat.com wrote:

up to $100 a month depending on which subscriptions/services are used
TV (FTA) is free but full of commercials - every 10 minutes a 5 min ad break

Expat.com wrote:

~$20-50 a nose in a pub

Expat.com wrote:

~$10 a cup/glass

Expat.com wrote:

~$20 a nose

Expat.com wrote:

There may be fees for using certain inner Brisbane toll roads if using a car (drive to work etc.)

Thank you for sharing this information 2Curlews :top:

Shaazia

Gold Coast
Foxtel/Broadband and home Phone (all channels Foxtel including sport, movies, drame, entertainment, Documentary, kids and Telstra on Broadband with 200Gb data and unlimited national calls) $249

Home Rentals 4 Bed, 15 min from Beach in Helensvale/oxenford area $500 to $800 per week.  Awaiting electricity bill

Mobile  on Vodafone Prepaid $5 per 500 Mb and top up airtime

Food for Family of 4 is $1500

Fuel 111c per litre

School Fees Public school for Senior High School maximum of $800 per annum including levies for subjects and school fees.  Can hire laptop for $300 per annum.

Sushi $3 for Hand Roll, Lunch average $10 at take away

Australia is probably the most expensive country in world to live in now. I came over 15 years ago and it was a third of UK prices. I lived in Sydney for 12 years, where you expect to pay a bit more as it is the best  city in the world. Lifestyle and city are fantastic, just don't live anywhere west of Leichardt!

Now live on southern end of Gold Coast, where you don't have to stray too many streets back from the ocean to come across the Aussie Bogan.

There is no competition here, so everything sits in a 'local pricing bubble'.

Just compare simple prices on line in Coles / Woolworths vs Tesco, you'll see simple things like Baked Beans are 3X price. Avocados for $4 EACH!!!

Insurance is expensive, Home, Contents, Landlords and Car; Rates are $3,000, Water is $2,000, Electric is expensive depending on where you live.

Cars are twice price of UK.

Train to Brisbane and parking is ridiculous. Parking in city for the day $70!

Eating out is expensive, even low grade fried food in Surf club/RSL id $30 per main course. A decent restaurant will set you back $250 for two, including a bottle of wine.

If you don't want to live in the 'burbs and have a family, a house would cost C $800,000 -$1,000,000. Rent would be around $800 - $1,000 per week.

Schools are expensive, two kids at school at a very reasonably priced school is around $14,000 per year, if you move up a notch the better schools will be $25,000 PER child each year plus trips etc!

Unless you both have jobs earning $100-$150k plus, you will struggle to have a comfortable living here, UK is much more reasonable. Tax will take on average 53% or your earnings to pay all the benefits to the non working Australians. there are hidden taxes/costs on everything, driving licence, Car Registration, boat licences, Capital Gains Tax, accountants fees, audit fees, Stamp Duty etc etc

People need to keep in mind Australia is a financially broke nation and Brisbane/Qld is the worst indebted state. I read just recently Australia is borrowing *$110 million a day* to stay afloat hence all these excessively high prices.

Children are luxury items especially when you need daytime childcare - it's ~$100 a day each kid in Qld!

details here

I am presently on Gold Coast and I agree with all of the above posts. I have been seeking work for last 8 months with no luck. I am now considering selling my house and moving overseas to Laos full time so I can be with my family there.

Agree, I can't afford to retire in Australia and I earn a good professional salary, thinking Vanuatu.

Just make sure you have the money to retire on hand - Australia currently does refuse to pay (new) *pensions* overseas.

I agree of all said. Expensive living here.., very very expensive ...

We live on the Central Coast, NSW - which is about 90 minutes North of Sydney.

Cost of living:

accommodation - house for a family of 6 = $600/week (we are 2 blocks from beach - but a long way to Sydney for commuting to work)
public transport - city rail is capped @ $15/day for 4 days per week (3 days ride free)  $120/fortnight
budget for groceries for family of 6 = $500/week
hospital and extras insurance (rebated) = $210/month
electricity = $400/quarter except for winter = $1000
mobile phone = $50/mo includes smartphone
mobile phone byo phone = $30/month
wi fi - 200GB/month = $90
Foxtel $25/mo
large flat white (coffee) =$4.50
cinema tickets = 10/ea matinee
car registration (Green Slip plus Rego) = $1000/year
tax on earnings over $18,000/year = 30%
GST = 10%
Breakfast out for 2 adults = $25 - $40
Private GP = $70
Dental cleaning adult = $120/ every 6 months
chiropractor = $50/visit
public elementary and high school - no charge for Permanent Resident but 457 visa pay quarterly
however many costs for programs, excursions, materials, books, computer for student's use in school
plus school fundraisers/raffles
school lunch @ canteen $10/student
Road Tolls in Sydney - $10 to $13 per road/bridge per day return (which is why we take train)
Parking @ Sydney Olympic Park $5/per hour
petrol $1.10/litre right now - but usually $1.40/litre

Expat.com wrote:

Single adult.

City of Australia: Brisbane

How much does it cost to live in Australia? 5000$/month

> accommodation prices: 620$ per week, for 2 bedroom apartment with river views

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.): 150$ / month, using buses.

> food prices (your monthly budget): 600$ / mth

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance): 290$ / month for private insurance, with large coverage.

> education prices (if you need to pay) -

> energy prices (oil, electricity): 100$ petrol, 40$ electricity

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone): internet: 30$ / mth (prepaid), mobile phone: 42$ / mth

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant: 30$ without wine.

> price for a coffee or a drink: 3.5$

> price for cinema tickets: 10$

> swimming pool: 5.1 / adult entry

Selected answer

Sydney - northern beaches, Manly

accommodation: $5k a month, 3 bd 3 bath, near beach
food prices - $1200/month - excellent home cooked meals
health prices - $275 month/private insurance
education; $35k private schools
petrol - 2 cars $150
meal out for family of 4 - $75+
coffee - $3-$4
cinema - $12-$20 per person depending on age

How much does it cost to live in Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs?

> accommodation prices: $1608 monthly, house with 4 rooms.
> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.) $129 monthly - myki pass
> food prices (your monthly budget) $ 450 monthly - 3 adults
> health prices (for those who need medical insurance) N/A
> education prices (if you need to pay) N/A
> energy prices (oil, electricity) $ 100 monthly
> water prices  $ 50 monthly
> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) $ 220 monthly
> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant $25 plate
> price for a coffee or a drink $3.70 each
> price for cinema tickets $22 dollar

Life in Adelaide: appartment in Mawson lakes

> accommodation prices: 660$ every 2 weeks

> public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.): 1.50$ to 3.50$ with a metro card for a ticket depend on time (9am to 3pm less expensive)

> food prices (your monthly budget): 250$ per months

> health prices (for those who need medical insurance): 300$ for 3 months

> education prices (if you need to pay): 8500$ per year for uni bachelor degree

> energy prices (oil, electricity): 150$ for 3 months

> common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) : 85$ per month, 10$ for a little phone credit

> price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant: 20-35$

> price for a coffee or a drink: 5$

> price for cinema tickets: 20$

Hello everyone,

Thank you for sharing all this information. :)

Shaazia
Expat.com Team

Life in Melbourne: 2 bed apartment in Prahran

Cost is for 2 adults:

accommodation prices: $450 per week
public transportation fares (tube, bus etc.): $35/week for a Myki card (unlimited travel on tram/bus and train)
food prices (your monthly budget): $500-600 per month
health prices (for those who need medical insurance): $175 per month for a couple (BUPA - includes some extras)
education prices (if you need to pay): n/a
energy prices (oil, electricity): $100/month
water prices  $90 quarterly
common bills (Internet, television, telephone, mobile phone) : Internet $60/month, TV can be free, but much more if you subscribe to Foxtel (about $85 if you want the sports package!) $30/month prepaid mobile phone
price for a good menu in a traditional restaurant: Mains $25-35
price for a coffee or a drink: $4
price for cinema tickets: $20
price for a beer: $8-12
glass of wine: $9-14
cocktails: $18-20 (unless you get to a happy hour... very advisable!)
Petrol: currently $1.15/litre
Car insurance and registration (for a 2013 ford fiesta): $1500/year
Doctor's visit: $50-130 depending on length, though you get about half back from Medicare
Daycare: $120/day (if eligible 50% back from the government)

Although things seem expensive here, it's not that bad once you start earning Australian dollars. We were living in London before this so the cost of rent was much higher there. We are both teachers and find we have a better lifestyle and can save a lot more money than we did in London.

Melbourne - Australia: I must say some posts on here are exxagerrated quite a bit. I have lived in Australia for over 12 years. Although the prices have sky rocketed recently due to debt and lack of economic reform, it still is not as bad as some people on here make it out to be. For example someone suggested coffee to cost $10....that is unheard of :/ there is no extra mark up for expats. Everyone pays local price. Although groceries cost 3times as much as they did 10 years ago....you can still shop smart depending on where you buy and what you buy. I would recommend costco in the docklands for people....membership is $60 per year....but savings can equate to $4000 a year if you shop smart and in bulk. Also make use of sales in coles or woolworths. Parking for a day in the city is NOT $70 as someone suggested. If that is true then you are being scammed....but it can be as high as $15 in the CBD.
Keep in mind that you can decrease electricity usage by being energy smart. You can reduce $50 off your bill each month by following tips from the provider's website and doing bulk of your energy use off peak.
Internet does NOT cost $90. If it does then you have not looked around much. I pay $40 a month and I get over 500gb of great speed.
Water bill is ridiculous. I must agree with that. No matter how little you use...you get charged a minimum of $150bux per 2month block.
Registration of cars has recently sky rocketed which seems like a state government scam to milk money off people. The trick is to have an old car as newer cars register for alot more for some odd reason. The older your car...the cheaper insurance and rego is.
Accommodation depends on where you reside...and whether you share or not. Generally the closer to the cbd...the more expensive it is.
Beer/drinks are cheaper during the day. You can get them for as low as $4 a glass.
Medical and education costs really depend on whether you are a permanent resident or not.
Anyways the living costs are not as bad as some have made it seem on this thread...however, it is more difficult than it used to be. For singles....it is advised to live in groups...share bills and some expenses as it greatly reduces costs. A whole household can be ran in as little as $2500 a month including amenities and rent....divide that by 4 people living together and its equates $625 per person. Now that is very low....but it all depends on how you can organize and manage your finances. Keep in mind the aforementioned value is just an estimate....it is based on my experiences in living here...and it does not include healthcare...education or outdoor entertainment costs. It is just basic household expenses such as rent, electricity, gas, water, internet, phone and some food.

You're right, wandymcnoble, Internet doesn't cost $90/month.....it's $93/month for 200GB.  (ad posted below if you don't use the link.  We cannot use alternative carriers because of our location.  I have tried.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/ho … oC56nw_wcB

M
200GB
Fast Broadband
Telstra Broadband 200GB
Perfect for families that watch videos online or download lots
Included home phone line rental with PAYG call rates
$93.00
per month for 24 months
Min. cost $2,507 (Incl. cost of gateway). An additional $192 charge may apply if you require a professional installation.

ElyasD wrote:

Internet does NOT cost $90 per month

You're right, ElyasD, Internet doesn't cost $90/month.....it's $93/month for 200GB.  (ad posted below if you don't use the link.  We cannot use alternative carriers because of our location.  I have tried.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/ho … oC56nw_wcB

M
200GB
Fast Broadband
Telstra Broadband 200GB
Perfect for families that watch videos online or download lots
Included home phone line rental with PAYG call rates
$93.00
per month for 24 months
Min. cost $2,507 (Incl. cost of gateway). An additional $192 charge may apply if you require a professional installation.

Remember, it's a big country and your experience in your market does not necessarily reflect those of others living in other markets.

ElyasD wrote:

Melbourne - Australia: I must say some posts on here are exxagerrated quite a bit..

Yes.  I agree.

Just rented a 4 bed house in Pacific Pines, Gold Coast for $430 per week.

You can get a studio room in one of the Surfers Paradise Hotels on the beach for $280 per week, including Electricity and water.

Eating out can be expensive or cheap depending where you eat.  Example: Two places in Surfers Paradise do Fish and Chips (eat in), both are good, one is $5 the other is $25.  The $25 one is a bit better, but the $5 is still good, and better than I can make at home.    Five of the $5 ones are much better than ONE of the $25 ones ;)

Internet?  $60 per month for mobile internet with 500MB per day limit (That's 15GB per month) OPTUS

Home ADSL from about $40 per month Unlimited Use, if you have a phone line. DODO. (I used them and was happy)
Phone Line: from $22 per month. Optus

Education: Two thirds of all kids get free education, although some costs need paying, of between $200 and $1000 per year.  Those who choose private will often pay between $4,000 and $15,000 per year, with some of the really expensive ones at over $25,000

It is important to look around, and not pay the highest prices all the time.  People can live on $300-400 pw excluding accommodation costs.

> We invite you to talk about the cost of living in Australia in 2015, with an updated price listing.

> Don't forget to mention in which city of Australia you are living in.

Perth

> How much does it cost to live in Australia?

> accommodation prices

Average house about $500,000. Some outlining areas in and around the $400,000 to $450,000.
Rent for an apartment 2 or 3 stops from the city about $400 a week.

When I was taking the train to and from work it was about $5 a day. That was 2 years ago, the process have gone up, and Transperth changes for parking now.

Family of 4, we work at keeping the costs to about $1000 a month.

Family health plan, we are at about $400 a month for private cover.

Each of our kids go to a Catholic elementary school. It's about $900 a year.
Will jump when they go to High school.

We were paying about $280 a month for electricity. Our solar panels have reduced that substancially.

Internet and Phone we pay $60 a month.
TV We stick to Free to Air.
Mobile: We are light users, so $20 a month for the mobile, each. Tablet $20 for 2 gig.

Typical dinner in an OK restaurant, nothing fancy but a step up from McD's
$80 - $120 for my wife and I.

Coffee from a shop $5.50 for a 'Large' that I would consider a regular.
600ml bottle of coke from a cafe $3.50 - $3.80

Getting close to $20 now for an adult.

it costs me 25,500 USD

I live in Sydney. I live with my family (wife and 2.5 yr old kid). My costs per week are as follows:

Rent - 380
Electricity - 39
Telephone - 17
Mobile - 15
Car fuel - 55
Car Insurance - 25
Car finance - 92
Food - 150
Childcare - 81
Wife's education - 65
Child's staff - 55
Coffee - 5 x 5 = 25
Outdoor food - 60 (30 for each of us)
Lunch at office - 50
Misc cost - 50
Total cost - 1159 AUD / week

KALEMEN wrote:

it costs me 25,500 USD

Please provide the name of city and details for others to see; the prices you've given is almost same as the one provided by the Department of Immigration.

Cheers :proud

ABCDiamond wrote:
ElyasD wrote:

Melbourne - Australia: I must say some posts on here are exxagerrated quite a bit..

Yes.  I agree.

Just rented a 4 bed house in Pacific Pines, Gold Coast for $430 per week.

You can get a studio room in one of the Surfers Paradise Hotels on the beach for $280 per week, including Electricity and water.

Eating out can be expensive or cheap depending where you eat.  Example: Two places in Surfers Paradise do Fish and Chips (eat in), both are good, one is $5 the other is $25.  The $25 one is a bit better, but the $5 is still good, and better than I can make at home.    Five of the $5 ones are much better than ONE of the $25 ones ;)

Internet?  $60 per month for mobile internet with 500MB per day limit (That's 15GB per month) OPTUS

Home ADSL from about $40 per month Unlimited Use, if you have a phone line. DODO. (I used them and was happy)
Phone Line: from $22 per month. Optus

Education: Two thirds of all kids get free education, although some costs need paying, of between $200 and $1000 per year.  Those who choose private will often pay between $4,000 and $15,000 per year, with some of the really expensive ones at over $25,000

It is important to look around, and not pay the highest prices all the time.  People can live on $300-400 pw excluding accommodation costs.

I'm living like a boss for 250 $ p/w in CBD near the QUT gardens point campus (It's in the heart of the Brizzie :gloria ). I got to mention that I'm living in a home-stay (meaning living with an Aussie family). Other costs for me is around 30$ for my phone bill, sometimes transportation and entertainement. Overall between 1200 - 1500$

P.S: Since I'm under full scholarship, I really spend way more than my other colleagues :dumbom:

hi all thank you very much for the info, and I wonder, can live with paying wages earned that? How much is the average salary there? I suppose like everywhere as you earn money you can afford the cost ..... greetings

I will share this site here whoever has not seen it yet, and please update the costs in it citywise. numbeo.com You can even compare the costs with your home country and even in a different currency.

Reading the replies here, I come to know that even healthcare and education is not free in Australia. This is what their immigration website advertises for those wanting to be Australian citizens by opting thru permanent resident visa.

Compared to the US, Australia has little higher average salary scale, but over that, the costs are thrice of that in the US and Europe. That makes Australia not attractive at all. Why would immigrants pay for the hefty prices while the jobless Australians get paid by the govt?

Keep in mind the declared poverty line (income) in OZ currently is at ~$48,000 (year) hence average US wages are not sustainable in Australia due to excessively high cost of living. Education and Health is not free and never was - typical polit propaganda (for the dumb) and there is a lot more misinformation out there. 

details here

Long story short - you currently need ~100K household income (before tax) to have a reasonably good life in Australian cities. If you have young kids needing daycare (when you work), or kids in higher education (uni), double that figure.

It was said that "healthcare and education is not free in Australia"

It is if you choose the free option, or at at least with very little costs. 

It is also said that "you currently need 100K household income (before tax) to have a reasonably good life in Australian cities"

That is a lot more than most Australians earn, and many seem to live happy on a lot less.

It must come down to an individuals "NEEDS" when determining how much someone has to earn.

My own experiences:
My childs education: some years in State schools; cost about $200 per year.  But then changed to private at $5,000 per year.

Healthcare:  All I ever paid was for my prescriptions, we use bulk billing doctors with no charge, and the free state hospitals.

My Income. Lot less than $100k

Families in Australia usually have 2 incomes (both working) hence you're close to ~100K cumulative but you're right it depends on your personal expectations and how far you can cut costs.

If you pay off a car and a mortgage and have kids you definitely will feel how little money a 100k income can be. The income left after tax and super is just ~67k ... there your taxes go ;) 

Actually Medicare is deducted from your income (2%) - there is no free healthcare here!

details here

edariass wrote:

hi all thank you very much for the info, and I wonder, can live with paying wages earned that? How much is the average salary there? I suppose like everywhere as you earn money you can afford the cost ..... greetings

Australian wages as at Nov 2014:
Full-time adult average weekly ordinary time earnings:    $1,477.00  ($76,804 per year)
All employees average weekly total earnings:    $1,128.70 (Full Time and Part Time) ($58,692 per year)

Average is about 20% higher than the median wage.

Employment Numbers:

11,666,000. Employed persons
782,300 Unemployed persons (551,800 looking for full time and 243,400 looking for part time work)
Unemployment rate remained steady at 6.3%
How many unemployed prefer to stay not working and just get benefits ??  Possible quite a lot. 

Unemployment benefit $452.30 pw for a couple + $116.60 pw Rent Assistance for that couple + many other free benefits.  That's $568.90 per week for the couple as government benefits. 

Add in any children, and this rises dramatically, with these extras:
$8,871.47 ($170.61pw)     Child under 5
$7,688.87  ($147.86pw)  Child age 5 to 12
$9,123.55  ($175.45pw)  Child age 13 to 18
$6,032.00 ($116.00pw)  Child age 19

So it looks like most of the taxes go into healthcare, education and benefits to the jobless

greatidea wrote:

So it looks like most of the taxes go into healthcare, education and benefits to the jobless

Tax Income Distribution
35%    Social Security and Welfare
16%    Health
8%    Education
6%    Defence

However, most of the welfare is NOT just to the Jobless, as many employed people also get welfare benefits, Child Care, Family Tax benefits etc.  Also the Aged care payments.
Example; breaking down those figures further, shows only 2.47% for unemployed:

10.14%    Income support for seniors
4.90%    Medicare services
4.65%    Family tax benefit
4.07%    Income Support for People with Disability
2.47%    Job seeker income support