Spend to make money => is that what's holding back language schools?

In a documentary about Mc Donald's, one manager focused on the cleanliness of the bathrooms. Nothing could be further from my own experience at some schools. Be it that they won't fix a broken PVC water pipe for weeks. Or some place being absolutely filthy. One center thinks it's a good idea to keep a pig and then not clean the pigsty now and then. (That pig is often going hungry and then it's making noises). As the pigsty is near the toilets, there will always be some stench anyhow...

$ 500 spent on the rental of a power washer, cleaning chemicals, paint and a whole slaughtered pig would yield impressive results.

As for staff and teachers, what do their customers really want?

Well, how about real teachers who are native speakers.

"Hell no, they will want like $ 1,400 vs the $ 900 some European or the $ 700 a Filipina might accept."

Let's see.

Last night, we were in a taxi. The driver looked 18 and was clearly a learner. He couldn't back out of the parking spot (had no plan - was going back and forth while stalling the engine etc.). Then he would shift up to the top gear and torture the engine. Sure, his boss may get him cheaper than some older and experienced driver. But ...

Why are people buying quality goods?

I've had new socks spot a gaping hole near my big toe after being worn just twice. Very expensive, such socks - and they FAIL.
My former school has a special program which should net them a 6-figure amount in Dollars. Parents want a genuine NES teacher. So they spend $ 10,000 more p.a. for a good one. Nope. Now they've hired some African. => Parents will be up in arms. And the root cause is some silly obsession with cost savings.
Has anyone bought a Chinese "Honda Win"?

I'm too poor to afford unreliable transportation. It's gotta be a genuine Honda or Yamaha - and I might buy a new one. So it costs $ 1,050 with the fee for a license plate, OTD. But it might be the better deal even if the depreciation amounts to $ 350 the first year. Am dreaming of finding a good old Honda Wave but few are for sale AFAIK. But then, I'm making the very same mistake, too.

My boss seems to think it will save money not paying new starts the first 45 days. What kind of a return do banks offer these days? I've asked around and no answer yet (because no one has any savings?)

But it might be very expensive if this policy is alienating some employees. No real savings then, huh?

Yeah, let that one slim pig stink up the place. Save on cleaning the bathrooms. No new paint after a decade or two. And to repair that broken water pipe might cost $ 200. But then, hundreds of boys cannot flush - with predictable results.

But then, the director chose not to pay the ISP. One day, the ISP grabbed the server they had been leasing out to the school. Voila, no internet for weeks. But hey, since some money was saved, that was a good management decision!!

Procession of complaints ?  :D

Most Vietnamese are very backwards and different from the rest of the world. Have no real business sense, although that's not to say Vietnamese people are stupid...its just the selfishness and short term thinking.

They also tend to be materialistic more than others, and this happens overseas as well as I know plenties of Vietnamese American....who make roughly 30-40k a year and drives a BMW/LEXUS/MERCEDES with designer handbags and etc.

I know some guy who wants me to invest 30k into a restaurant idea he had and hes been pestering me for months now...yet he spends 300$+ everyday going out to bars and etc (you know the one with companion girls).

LaxFogo wrote:

Most Vietnamese are very backwards and different from the rest of the world. Have no real business sense, although that's not to say Vietnamese people are stupid...its just the selfishness and short term thinking.

I disagree. The Vietnamese are either industrious and hard working or work as Vinasun or Xe Om drivers - both sleeping much of the day.

VietNam has two Billionaires - they got lucky and used their skills to make their fortunes. Some 'no real business sense'. (Vinhcom (Ha Noi) and Hoang (Gia Lai) )

Vietnamese aren't 'backwards' either, some of the world's biggest noodle factories are Vietnamese owned (Vinasun) and are profitable in the face of world competition.

You are too young to know of the great strides this country has made since the Americans took off, there were desperate food shortages - as in you go and scratch for your own food as the stores had none, desperate power shortages and a financial and trade embargo imposed by the US government after they lost face in the American War in VietNam.

As often the case with US policies, the US shot itself in the foot, again, as European companies picked up the slack and captured the telecoms market, along with many other endeavours. The Vietnamese developed their own domestic industries, giving the US the fingers sign.

Gone are the ex-military trucks and ships - now replaced with Vietnamese made trucks and ships. Unless you get out and about in HCM and the countryside, you don't realise how active things are. The whole damn country looks more like a construction site than anything.

A friend lives in the Quan 7 swamplands and I watched a 2-kilometre road turned from a rough track to a decent arterial road in 2 WEEKS! Now they are raising Phu Thuan, using many truck loads of stone, to minimise flooding - all done at night. That would take months and months in many Western countries.

So away with your derogatory comments - if you don't like the country why are you still here?

Jaitch wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:

I disagree. The Vietnamese are either industrious and hard working or work as Vinasun or Xe Om drivers - both sleeping much of the day.

VietNam has two Billionaires - they got lucky and used their skills to make their fortunes. Some 'no real business sense'. (Vinhcom (Ha Noi) and Hoang (Gia Lai) )

Vietnamese aren't 'backwards' either, some of the world's biggest noodle factories are Vietnamese owned (Vinasun) and are profitable in the face of world competition.

You are too young to know of the great strides this country has made since the Americans took off, there were desperate food shortages - as in you go and scratch for your own food as the stores had none, desperate power shortages and a financial and trade embargo imposed by the US government after they lost face in the American War in VietNam.

As often the case with US policies, the US shot itself in the foot, again, as European companies picked up the slack and captured the telecoms market, along with many other endeavours. The Vietnamese developed their own domestic industries, giving the US the fingers sign.

Gone are the ex-military trucks and ships - now replaced with Vietnamese made trucks and ships. Unless you get out and about in HCM and the countryside, you don't realise how active things are. The whole damn country looks more like a construction site than anything.

A friend lives in the Quan 7 swamplands and I watched a 2-kilometre road turned from a rough track to a decent arterial road in 2 WEEKS! Now they are raising Phu Thuan, using many truck loads of stone, to minimise flooding - all done at night. That would take months and months in many Western countries.

So away with your derogatory comments - if you don't like the country why are you still here?

Oh common, are you serious? Of course there will be a bunch of exceptions.

You just don't understand corruption in Vietnam and how backward the business practice is.

You can disagree, that doesn't make your opinion anymore valid than mine.

The "roads" you're talking about that the government is investing in, you do know that the new roads are a POS right? Not because they don't have the funding to build a proper road, it's just that there's not enough money after all the government officials grab their share before the project even starts; I'm talking about cracks and holes within weeks.

Why are you talking about the US and European countries? That's irrelevant to the discussion, as I'm talking about the general business mentality of a Vietnamese person....there are big corporations in every country...it doesn't take a genius to figure that mate.

Yeah two billionaires in a country with 90M population. All you're saying is how well Vietnam is recovering from the war, Jesus. Look at Japan, they got obliterated in both World Wars, and now they're one of the most powerful countries in the world...and the average networth per capita is second in the world just barely behind Australia.

And about your statement on how "the whole city is a construction site", most of those construction site had been there forever. Why? Because of bad money management, as Vietnamese have a bad habit of winging it instead of getting the full budget before proceeding. Now if they want to continue building on the site after months and months of being weathered, they would have to rebuild. There is a school outside Saigon Pearl that's been in construction for a few months and it's nearly done, while most buildings in Vietnam have ceased construction.

And before you say I don't know what I'm talking about, because I do and I've experienced this first hand. I do have family in Vietnam, and they're doing really well; well enough that they are funding my cousin's half assed business plan. My cousin finished building a brick manufacturing facility, he spent over a million dollars on equipments and building the facility. But now he doesn't have money to run the business, and have to go out and find investors for operation cost while the facility is just corroding away.

There are always exceptions, as I am also Vietnamese and while young I am doing very well for myself.

What you're saying is like me saying "Americans aren't getting fatter year after years because Greg Plitt and other fitness models look amazingly fit".  You countered my argument about the masses by throwing out a few examples.

@hs0zfe
- 45 days late. Got caught in that situation before with a different company. it's not that they bank the money. No. God forbid that they would admit to poor planning in cash flows. The incoming money from their debtors/customers is just getting late in but they make insufficient allowance for that. but god forbid they would admit to poor planning.

- From all your complaints I think you are working for a company that talk up a good line. Not enough money, but making grandious plan, then have to downgrade its excution because, how else, not enough money. Not having enough money to rent good facility, so have to hire bad one. And not enough skilled/knowledgeable  staff or they would not make those mistakes.

- Motorbike. No one know anything would choose to buy chinese bikes unless they absolutely have to. Those kinds of goods are just that bad. And Wave is, currently, top quality vehicle for cheap-ass price range. Any old and secondhanded get resold at countryside double quick. When I am on the street, I would get asked if I want to sell mine :D

I imagine most managers/owners/accountants would say the salary(s) of their foreign teachers is the main thing that's holding them back.

Jaitch wrote:
LaxFogo wrote:

The king of the derogatory comment takes exception to a fellow traveler's babble? 

Care to share your views on any/all Vietnamese males Jock Itch?

Oh no's!  I forgot that you threatened to post my personal information on here; including my credit score?!?  LOL!  Post whatever you want (faux) Frenchie.

Did you also threaten to have the po-lice come calling?  LOLx2  You'd be wise to watch what your less than vivid imagination conjures up old man...

P.S.  I still hold a commercial driver's license, which means I'm still a trucker, mother f#$%er, albeit one that makes $22 per hour (+ a free apartment/free motorbike) teaching the English language to the best students on the face of this planet!

Teacher Mark wrote:

P.S.  I still hold a commercial driver's license, which means I'm still a trucker, mother f#$%er, albeit one that makes $22 per hour (+ a free apartment/free motorbike) teaching the English language to the best students on the face of this planet!

Lol what happened between you two?

:laugh: Teacher's salary is certainly bigger than mine and I suspect most of the branch chiefs'. I suspect the only one get higher would be chief accountant, directors, and the HQ's sale head. (Dont quote me on the latter).