Mauritians in U.S.A questions only. Questions about American English

Hey I am a American born and raised.  I make videos on YouTube and wanted to make some videos educating Mauritians who want visit America.  For those looking at the post from Mauritius what peculiarities do you find in American English?  Are there any customs in English you find unusual about the country?  If you could help out that would be much appreciated, thanks1

As an English teacher (ESL) with a career spanning over 26 years I can tell you that there are relatively few differences between the British English and American English in terms of the written language. Mostly they're spelling differences like tire = tyre, center = centre, theater = theatre (used in American English only for live theater) for cinema the Americans simply say the movies.

Of course there are other differences such as hood and trunk instead of bonnet and boot for cars and gas instead of petrol, highway, expressway, freeway in the USA instead of motorway. Subway in the US instead of underground or tube in the UK, elevator instead of lift and that sort of stuff.

http://anglotopia.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/brvsam.jpg

Like the chart? Google images has all kinds of them just Google "American English vs British English".

Also Americans are more prown to use jargon and buzzwords, while Brits will use more rhyming slang.

Cheers,
William James Woodward, Expat-blog Experts Team

Interested in things wrote:

what peculiarities do you find in American English?

"All the faith he had had had had no affect on the outcome."

Sigh...please if you are not Mauritian, then please do not respond.  The point of this forum was to get Mauritians perspective on America, especially on American English, the way its spoke, the slang, the greetings, etc.  Please if you  were not born in the country of Mauritius please do not post on this forum.  Please and thank you

At the risk of irritating you, here goes: my friend was from Madagascar, and she always said the American way of life was go-go-go.

Sigh...please if you are not Mauritian, then please do not respond.  The point of this forum was to get Mauritians perspective on America, especially on American English, the way its spoke, the slang, the greetings, etc.  Please if you  were not born in the country of Mauritius please do not post on this forum.  Please and thank you

people are just trying to be helpful! I'm pretty sure there aren't that many mauritians who live in the US and read this forum. Would you rather no response at all?

Now that I think about it, my friend actually was from Maritius.  She always said "Nobody has ever hear of Maritius, so just consider me as being from Madagascar [since most people have heard of that east African island]."

ECS wrote:

people are just trying to be helpful! I'm pretty sure there aren't that many mauritians who live in the US and read this forum. Would you rather no response at all?

Everything's so localized now.  Go to any forum and there are people who only want to talk to expats from whatever village they're originally from.  Talking to people from around the world seems to be old news.

Perhaps you should post on the Mauritian Forum, since Americans are  useless when it comes to American English.  Good Luck

thank you I just tried and hopefully there will be some responses  :)

Interested in things Perhaps you should post on the Mauritian Forum, since Americans are  useless when it comes to American English.  Good Luck wrote:

thank you I just tried and hopefully there will be some responses  :)