Silk lanterns

Where is the best place to buy silk lanterns in HCMC and what price should I expect to pay?

Am sick of getting ripped off when shopping here :(

You are asking something akin 'How much to buy a car'?

What style silk lantern, with a frame - bamboo or wire, etc.?

District 1 is high priced compared to other districts. Avoid tourist markets, especially Ben Thanh, and SaiGon Centre. Silk lanterns are sold in Cho Lon (Districts 5, 10).

And what quantities are you after?

sorry just after a few to take home as gifts. I bought some in Hoi An that fold up made with bamboo and wire so similar to that.
Tried to post a picture here but could not do so :(

Hi,

There is no silk in cho lon market. My jean was tore by a cart there last time. Really hate it when people don't watch out .
I usually buy silk at 55 000đ/m in another market in district 5. I can talk you around there cos I know who will sell cloth at  good price. Not easy to find a good shop.

Regards

Dejavu.dot wrote:

... There is no silk in cho lon market. ...

Look in area Hong Bang / Phung Hang / Tran Hung Dau / Do Ngoc Thanh. Comes on the bolt.

I never said ChoLon market!

OP: Hoi An is largely a tourist money extraction area. Better to take unadorned frames (flattened/disassembled) in your baggage along with silk material of your choice.

Agree with Jaitch  :)
If you cannot find something from other places, just head to Kim Bien or Binh Tay market area. Almost streets filled with variety of goods with cheap price. Sometimes, we should like Chinese goods for it's availability and cheap price! (yeah, commoners cannot buy 'branded' items)