Shopping in the Bahamas

Hello everyone. I have just joined the forum as me and my husband and young son are moving out the the Bahamas next month. Was just wondering what sorts of things we need to pack and bring and what is available there. We are coming from the U.K. Are there good clothes shops there (adults and kids) and what about cosmetics and toiletries? Also can you easily get computer equipment etc and cell phones thanks for your help.
Sky blue dolphin x

Hi Sky Blue Dolphin:

Boy are you in for a treat.  firstly, the food is different.  though we are getting more European products, prepare to be Americanised to the fullest.  Most of our foods come from the USA.

I love the clothing in the UK, they are definitely more durable, however, the clothing here is a lot lighter because of the weather.  The sun will be hot, hot, hot!  You will not need much sweaters and jackets, overcoats, scarfs and thermals.  You can pack those only for when you are returning to the UK.  Best for you to bring shorts and trousers and sun dresses, maybe one or two cardigans for when we might have a slight chill (2% chance of that happening).  Have your sun cream because you can get sun burned much easier if you are not used to so much sun.  Definitely bring some swim wear (the beach is lovely for most of the year).  Purchasing clothing over here is expensive as opposed to the USA or UK.  Most Bahamians shop in Florida.  Walmart in Florida sells the same George  and other Brands as sold by Tesco and ASDA.

Our Cosmetics are the best and they are cheaper here than in the UK.  You can purchase MAC, Clinique, YSL, Bobbi Brown, Iman, Fashion Fair, all of the top named brands of makeup on Bay Street at John Bull of the Perfume Store.  We also sell perfume at a cheaper rate than in some UK stores as well. 

Computer equipment is readily available here, but the problem is that you must make sure that your adapter is between 120v - 380 v.  I think 380 or something like that is for UK.  The UK voltage is higher than the Bahamas.  We are on the American system of 120v.  But as long as your adapter has that range you should be Ok.  Also make sure that you have a mains that has a two prong rather than the UK three, otherwise you will not be able to use the direct electrical source here.  the prongs are different.  Same thing applies for the cell phone cords.  Otherwise you can always purchase a cellphone here and even adopt a plan that would suit your budget.  Cellphones are readily available and we have some up to date models.  Depending on your taste you can spend as little of $39.99 up to $500.00 plus.  You decide.

I cant think of anything else, but if you have any other questions you can hit me up.  Glad to help.