Relocating

Hello Everyone,
I just became a member. My husband and I plan on retiring next year and Panama is on our list. We now live in the US and it is time to decide where we want to spend the "second half" of our lives. I look forward to conversing with Expat/retirees and certainly open to any and all advice/referrals you would like to share.

Well, I'm biased of course, but who isn't? Panama is the perfect place to retire. The people are friendly and laid back (so laid back that it can be frustrating if you're NOT retired :) ) and there's no better climate or landscape. It's heaven.
I don't live there yet, but I spend a lot of time there because my husband and I are building a gorgeous residential resort on a pristine island in the Gulf of Chiriqui (little more than an hour from Boquete).
-Frances

Hello Apat,
I'm French and I live now for 3 years in Panama with a "Retired" visa. I'll be pleased to help you in answering to any of your questions.
Panama is definitely the best place to retire.
away from all troubles of expensive cost of living we have in Europe and US.
regards
Renato

Hi Apat
I too can extol the fine virtues of living in Panama...and it is as they say the pensioners paradise! :) It's really a great place, having moved here a year ago I'm not disappointed yet...safe, cheap to live (in certain areas), great roads, beautiful beaches, great climate, fun people, good travel hub, great shopping in Panama City etc. I live in Panama City and work there plus Pedasi in the Azueros Peninsula which is a 'hot' area for retirement/second homes now.
Happy to offer help.
Cheers

Dear APAT,

I would recommend that lands of Vale do Paraíba, in the hinterlands of São Paulo.
São Paulo has the highest HDI in Brazil, (close to Uruguay, Chile and Argentina), and accounts for 33,3% of the countries GDP.
ItŽs not AT ALL, the typical Brazil you would see on TV.

You can buy cheap land at less than 12000 USD an acre,

Although the capital city is really not for retirees, you can have its best at hand if you live some 100-150km far from it, in landscapes that donŽt resemble caos in any way.
Just under the tropic, so you can have mild climate (20C average)  in a mountainous 700-800m altitude region, 1 hour away from beautiful and warm beaches (warmer because of sea level), like Toque Toque pequeno and Itamambuca.
Midway from BrazilŽs biggest cities São Paulo and Rio, if you feel you need some action sometimes.
A huge market for people willing to start simple businesses like hostelling places, sophisticated restaurants, small vineyards ...
http://www.turismo.sp.gov.br/images/sto … 03main.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … Grande.JPG

Best,

Denis Augusto

We've lived in David for a bit over a year and are very happy here. Everything we need is close by, and it's not hard to get to either the mountains or the beaches from here. Coming from Florida the climate is perfect for us, and the area is really beautiful. The people are friendly and laid back and we've made great friends here. I have a blog with photos and news of the area, as well as other travels and adventures we've had. http://blog.thepanamaadventure.com/

Hi I am living in Costa Rica now but the cost of living is to high. I'd like to move to Panama. I looking for a reasonable rental.

Thanks

I used to live in la ceiba,honduras,i left  7 years ago ,but  I still rent pay rent on a two bedroom apt in barrio isla, for my wifes 2 boys. the place was a new 20 apt unit bldg. when we first moved in I still pay $225 a month,with free  cable. it,s an average location near downtown. I will be moving to a much larger  private house when I move back in late june of this year in a prime area, that will cost me about $500 a month. one can hear a lot of talk,and gossip about the dangers of living in Honduras, I used to own the palms  bar and grill in downtown la ceiba,the only time I would see expats having trouble, is hanging out in  rough places, ,picking up working girls ,and getting involved in buying  transactions without legal advice,. and never loan $$ to the locals, chances are it,s gone. keep your things secure good locks and window gates,these rules apply to any undeveloped country I lived in mexico,colombia,guam, brazil,nigeria, it,s all the same use your common sense. keep an open mind with the locals,i,am sure you will love Honduras the pros are much greater than the cons  I,am currently working and living in nyc can,t wait till I move back this june. my e-mail  [email protected]   bob coapman

Hi Bob
I was happy to see your post. I am living in Costa Rica but the cost of living is to high. I am considering Ceiba. Do you have any more information on renting a flat such as phone numbers? I am also looking at Panama. Does anyone have this info? 

Thanks Harry

I will be living in ceiba the end of this june I will have my phone hooked up I will contact you. you will not have any problem getting a place for $225 or less that's what I pay for a 2 bedroom  let me know when you plan to move to ceiba there is a good expat crowd there if you have to leave soon I can get you in touch with my brother in law he is from Dominican rep. but worked and lived in nyc all his life he just moved to ceiba about 2 years ago he loves it  there

Hey Bob

Thanks again for the info. I may have to make a decision to relocate as soon as this friday. I think I could use your brother in law's number. Hoprfully we will chat soon.

Pura Vida Harry

sorry I lost contact have a lot of things going on.  [Moderated: no phone number on the forum pls]I myself will be down there  soon after june14,2014.  my wife will be there way ahead of me , I,am not good on computors,so I have problems getting back to people,i can,t remember how many times I had to change ny user name,but I,am trying. I hope  you are getting it together in la ceiba,your last message said you might have gone there afew weeks ago . drop me a line   bob

I have lived in Panama for * years an love it..!

Hola Bob

Como estas? I haven't left Costa Rica yet. I would like to find housing before. I see that you can't leave phone #'s on this site. I hope you and your brother in law can help me. This is my e mail [email protected].

Puda Vida

Harry

Hey Bob

I should be leaving for la cieba very soon. I haven't had any luck findind a place torent. 
Any ideas
Thanks Harry

Hello Harry,

Regarding your search for an accommodation, have you already browsed through the section properties for rent in Panama?

You can also post an advert for better interaction.

Can you please give us more details regarding the lodging you are looking for?

Cheers,

Hasnaa

Hi Hasnaa

Oringinally I was looking in Panama now I am leaning toward La Cieba Honduras, Bay Islands. I am retired living on fixed income. I want to be within walking distance of the beach and local shopping. I woulld like a 2 bedroom furnished so I have room for guests. I plan to stay here for a very long time. I am looking for something immediatly. I hope you can help me.

Thanks Harry