What to bring, what NOT to bring

It looks like I will be bringing over a few English teaching teams in the coming months.

Primarily we will teach government officials, security forces, etc.

We are all westerners, most of us with previous military experience and/or military teaching experience.  As far as our jobs go, we are okay.

But for those creature comforts, things from home we like...what kinds of things would be especially welcome for us to bring for ourselves?  And conversely what things do we not need to bring, or should not bring as it would be unaccepted or forbidden?

I thank you for your suggestions and time.

MisterStretch wrote:

It looks like I will be bringing over a few
But for those creature comforts, things from home we like...what kinds of things would be especially welcome for us to bring for ourselves?  And conversely what things do we not need to bring, or should not bring as it would be unaccepted or forbidden?

I thank you for your suggestions and time.

With only a short time in Kabul (2.5 weeks), I have found myself missing Tums/Rolaids, Ricola cough drops, and coat hangers. The other things I miss can not practically be brought in (e.g., fresh produce, good laundry soap). If you folks who like to cook among your team, I would recommend bring a set of good knives as the kitchen utensils available at the "Western" style markets are pretty poor quality. 

I did not have trouble bring books, over the counter medicines, or other personal effects through customs. I am very glad that I brought a couple of scented candles to make my room smell like my space and not dust.

Feel free to ask about specific things and I can ask the others in my guesthouse about them. Good luck with the move here.