Questions about living in Spain and working in Gibraltar

Hey guys,

I might possibly get a job in Gibraltar and I've been looking for apartments etc on where to live.

I found a few apartments in la linea very close to the border (10 min walking distance) but then I heard about oil reffineries smelling alot and also being a health problem. How big of a problem are the oil reffinieries? I'm very concerned about my health and it's not worth risking my health to work in Gibraltar. If I live in La linea should I be concerned? If I would live in for instance Santa Margarita should I be concerned the about them as I would probably walk/bicycle to work and most likely also spend some time with friends in la linea.

Also, how long would it take by foot from santa margarita to the border and is bicycling a good option? I'm thinking if there are alot of places in la linea I can park my bike etc without any problems.

Also is it possible to negotiate the price on apartments/houses? I've lived in Madeira Portugal and there you could easily have the price lowered by 20% since there were so many empty apartments.

I'm also wondering about the furniture. To be honest the furniture is horrible in 95% of the apartments. Are there alot of unfurnished apartments aswell?

Hi

For the fumes from the refinery to affect La Linea then the wind has to be in the North West which is not very often, if it is it also affects Gibraltar.
Santa Margarita is to the West of the refinery and gets more pollution than La Linea but residents there will not admit it , it's not good for property prices.  :(
The worst days are when it is absolutely still in the early hours, then the fumes fill the whole bay area.
Bicycles disappear rapidly in La Linea and the rest of Spain  :(
How long would it take you to walk 7+ kilometers ?

Everything is negotiable  :)

Regards

Grumpy

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So how big of a concern would you say the fumes are? When you put it like this it sounds really terrible and it's kind of ruining all the images I've seen of the beaches around la linea etc. Is this a beutiful place to move to or are the fumes ruining everything? I lived in Madeira before and when I first started reading about gibraltar and living in spain across the border everything seemed alot like Madeira, but now I'm getting second thoughts.

alcaidesa seems to be a great place to live in and I also found a really nice apartment there but I guess I would have to have a car then and I'm not sure if I could afford the expenses of owning a car. It really all depends on what I'm paying for the apartment.

Where are the rifineries located? Is Alcaidesa affected by it aswell?

Btw, do you know if there are any dating sites I could use for these areas? I'm very good looking and I have the social skills but I'm not really the party type of guy so I really prefer dating chicks I meat on internet.

What I'm looking for in moving to spain and working in gibraltar is just to meet a nice girl, settle down in a calm and beautiful place and enjoy life to the fullest. Do you think this place is for me?

Also as it does seem I would need a car, would I be able to find a cheap automatic one? Sure I could learn to drive a manual again but damn that was ages ago. Also as I've never owned a car how much would the expenses be of having one apart from the gasoline and parking? I heard parking was 2€ a day in la linea, is that correct? Then it would be like 200€ a month just for the gasoline and parking which is quite alot, but maybe doable. 

Many questions, but I'd really appreciate your answers.

Refinery

There are 100's of thousands of people living around the Bay of Gibraltar, the refinery is not good it does not meet European standards. But living around traffic is just as bad if not worse. So if you want to avoid fumes go live out in the country and do not commute.

Look on Google Earth to see the refinery.

I'm too old to bother too much about women these days  :)

There is no such thing as a cheap car in Spain except very old and decrepit ones.

There is parking at the frontier that can cost as little as €2 per day, but it is very crowded you need to arrive early.

Regards

Grumpy

Alright. I just heard people writing about health issues. If it's not worse than traffic then I guess I shouldn't be concerned since I'm not concerned about traffic.

I actually found automatic cars for around 1200-1400€ which sounds fair to me. As long as it can last for a while I'm good with that. I know basically nothing about cars though.

Where would I park if I can not get there early enough?

Do you think they will ever do something about the refinery?

There is also parking at the Alcaidesa Marina which is not at Alcaidesa but is next to the frontier.
To get the best rates I believe there is a monthly contract which is still in the €2-3 a day bracket. It is an extra 100 mtr walk but has the advantage of a gated entry with full time security staff.

The refinery will remain until Mrs Merkel buys them a new one

Sounds good!

I tried to look for the refinery on google earth but couldn't find it.

illerrre wrote:

Sounds good!

I tried to look for the refinery on google earth but couldn't find it.

Go to :-  36 11'  0" N     5  23' 50" W

You will be surrounded by the tank farms and the shipping pier is immediately to the South

Go to the images for 30/6/2003  or  16/3/2003 and you will see the cloud of fumes heading over Santa Margarita on the Southwesterly wind which is the most common.

Grumpy

I got the idea where the refinery is, but I really couldn't find the pictures.

Anyhow, how easy is it to get around with only english in spain? I know some portuguese and I will definitely learn spanish but it will probably take a while.

I am worried that speaking English may be a problem in Gibraltar.