Moving a pet successfully to Costa Rica?

Parrots will have to travel as cargo and that will entail using a broker....and will not be an easy task. Your poodle, if under 100lb including crate, can be brought excess baggage.

My poodle is small for a Standard, only 40 lbs., but that's too bad about my little parrot. When the time comes I get it straightened out from the useful info here and other relevant guidance.

Thanks!

Celadon,

My daughter owns and operates the Parrot Rescue Center of Costa Rica (PRC).  She has successfully helped a number of people bring their parrots into the country. 

Warning:  PLEASE - Do not attempt to bring a bird into the country on your own.  If the paperwork is not done correctly at either end, they will actually euthanize the bird.

You can look up her website or Facebook page by looking up the name above.  Or you can send me a private email through expat.com and I can give you her information.

- Expat Dave

Expat Dave, thanks for the info on your daughters Parrot Rescue site (hope it's OK to post it) It is very interesting .
Good luck on moving forward with your plans

...I just posted the name and not the web address and from my reading of the rules I think it's allowed.  I guess we'll find out if I get my hand slapped.   :o

- Expat Dave

I meant that I hope it was OK  that I posted it, instead of asking you first...

Of course, no worries.

I'm new here. Thanks for letting me join!  I have two pit bull mixes that I will be moving to Costa Rica with. I will not put them in the cargo hold. Which airlines let you bring them in the cabin?  And do you know if I have to buy seats for them?  They weigh 45 lbs each. Thank you so much!!!

@robinheywood it's extremely unlikely you'll find an airline that will allow pitbulls in the cabin.  I suggest finding an animal transport.  Plus they need to be under a certain size as well.  I'm sure many here can give you recommendations on pet carriers.  Personally I think pituitary have a bad rep, every one I've ever met or dealt with have been complete sweethearts. Good luck!

@robinheywood I brought my lab/border collie, 70lb dog on the American Airlines plane (Delta has the same rules). However, you have to ensure the following:

1. Your god must be trained, aka fully obedient and quiet

2. You must fill the form indicating why you need your dog, as a service dog (address your special condition, panic attack, etc.), they will put your dog on a file

3. You must not use the word pitbull, as idiots of this world discriminate against this wonderful breed. You specify, for example, bullmastiff cross or something fancy like presto de canario mix with chihuahua :), etc.

If the above is addressed you can fly with your dog. I'd suggest the business class, as the leg room is larger. No additional fees are involved, no dog's documentation is required. The most important is your dog behavior.

I am not sure about two dogs though, so you might engage someone else assuming the above is satisfied.
A pet +their carrier has be less than 20 lbs to travel 'in cabin' which must fit under the seat in front of you. A ' large dog', that is under 100 lbs including carrier, will be  classed as 'excess  baggage' and will travel with passenger baggage.  If over 100 lbs it will have to travel as cargo...which will cost  $$$$'s.  These requirements are the same for most airlines.

Yes, your dogs will have to have their travel paid for... 'in cabin' one pet per person or excess baggage.

Not all planes will accept animals, so you will have to check with the airlines.

@robinheywood While I don't have good advice (yet) b/c I'm looking to ex-pat to CR as well, thank you for asking this question b/c I too have 2 "pitbulls" and am looking for info on how to get them from the US to CR safely (and as cost effectively as posssible).

I thought my response was sent...but it had vanished .

Here is a linkthat may answer your questions regarding pitbulls aretedogsupply.com/blogs/tips/how-to-fly-with-a-pitbull-tips-to-travel-with-pets