What can I do to travel WITH my dog of 8,8kg ?

I am French and plan to settle in Costa rica but I have a  big  issue :
I have a dog, he is 8.8 kg, I don't want to leave without him but I can't find any suitable way to travel with him.

I can't imagine putting him in a cage and having him travel with the luggage.

Any idea would be welcome. Thanks!

Hello corinnelocquet.

Welcome to Expat.com!

In meantime, you can read on the other threads about Pets on the Costa Rica forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

We moved to Costa Rica with 3 cats. They rode inside the cabin of the plane with us in soft sided carriers that fit under the seat. Your dog is small enough to ride in the cabin. Our largest cat weighed 18lbs. The airline will charge you a fee for your pet to fly.  For us it was $125 for each pet. You will also need to have your vet fill out an international travel form. Everything you need to know is available through your airline and through the Costa Rican Embassy. Your dog will need to have his rabies vaccine within 30 days prior to flight. It is best if your animal is spayed or neutered. If it seems too much to handle, there are specialty organizations that will do everything for you, but they aren't cheap. We did not have to quarantine the cats when we arrived because we came from the States. I am sure it is the same with France, but you may want to check.