The pet culture in Costa Rica

Hey everyone,

Pets are an integral part of a lot of families. So much so that they would never consider moving abroad without them. Before doing so, it would be important to know the pet culture in Costa Rica just to make sure that their little “expets” feel welcomed in their new homes. Would you give our expats-to-be an insight of what it is like to have a pet in Costa Rica by answering the following questions?

What part do pets play in society in Costa Rica? Are they generally accepted in rentals and public spaces more generally?

Is it common for families to have pets?

What animal is the most often kept as pets? Are there some animals that cannot be kept as pets? Do some animals have specific significations when kept as pets?

How about the infrastructure needed to cater for pets? Can you find everything you need for your pet in terms of pet food, veterinary services, accessories, pet grooming etc...?

Do people generally spend a lot of money on their pets?

Please share your experience,

Priscilla

I would say that it is more difficult to find a rental property if you have pets of any sort.
Know that you may have to go out of your way to find a particular brand for your pet or find that it may not be available in CR.

It may be more difficult to find rentals if you have pets.

But on the other hand it is VERY difficult to find a rental where you won't hear many barking dogs, and it's my observation that Ticos almost never make their dogs stop barking. Barking dogs are a plague here, in my opinion. And it's because Ticos either like or are not bothered by it; not sure which.

That said, many people - gringos and Ticos - are not bothered by barking dog noise. But if you are, good luck.

Luckily I bought a big property without any close neighbors so I'm okay. But if you live around a lot of Ticos, you're absolutely going to hear a lot of barking dog noise. And for that matter, if you live around a lot of gringos too, you're likely to hear barking dog noise. However I have also noted that - in general - gringos do sometimes stop their dogs from incessantly barking. But many do not.

This is a tough subject for me especially when it comes to dogs.  I've been in Costa Rica for about four years now.  Plenty of time to witness how dogs are treated.  I can only speak from my experience.  We brought our chihuahua here from the States.  She's family, she is greatly loved.  We care for her as we would any other member of the family.  If we are going somewhere for more than a day, we see that she will be cared for.  That's how we do it.  My neighbor who rescues dogs every so often and shouldn't is a different story.  Her take on dogs is very different.  Her dogs come to my house a lot.  So do a couple of other neighborhood dogs.  My neighbor's dog always looks like she is starved for affection and she's getting skinnier each day, too.  Lately, when she comes in to our house she acts like she thinks we are going to hit her.  She'll come in the door with her tail between her legs.  When we reach out to pat her she pees.  She never did that before.  She will settle down after a little while.  She's always thirsty and goes over to our dog's water dish and drains it.  That tells us something, too.   It seems that local folks let their dogs roam at large.  My dog goes out, does her business and comes back in.  That's the extent of her roaming.  I truly feel that many here have dogs for pets but they don't provide them the love that we do.  They are often left to get their own food and water.  Now, this isn't everyone however, it seems to be quite a few.

Hi:

We didn't bring our two dogs with us when we moved to Costa Rica almost 4 years ago (gave them to loving family members).

Here we have adopted a street dog that was not cared for, chained up and ate through the rope keeping her tied up.  She is really sweet and once we picked her up as she was being chased by three big dogs due to being in heat, we took her to the vet.  There she was given shots, grooming and two days later, spayed.

We have since adopted a puppy of a street dog as a companion for her.

As most of us consider the pets part of the family, we find that the culture here is rarely that.  Dogs mostly are meant to be property protectors and are usually not allowed in the homes.  There are many dogs and cats running around as castration is not highly undertaken by most Ticos.  It is a sad situation as there are so many unwanted dogs, puppies, cats and kittens.  Many get killed because they are allowed to roam free.

On the positive side, the veterinarians are superb!  Most in our area speak English which is really helpful, some board animals and the costs are very reasonable.  Our vet helps out at the regional castration clinics for a reduced fee.  We find the cost of veterinary care to be a lot less than we paid in the US.

For us, the fur babies are our children and are really pampered compared to so many other animals here.  But, they are still the best companions.

Gringos are also not good owners here, sometimes.
I know of a gringo who would lock up his dog in a shed with no windows for days at a time when it was in heat. Of course it barked nearly non-stop from its unhappiness.

Same guy would leave his dog for days at a time at home alone, with only someone coming to feed it once a day.

Ticos: I think many (most?) Ticos don't treat their pets as the kind of family members that Americans do. As someone said, they have them mostly to make noise!... when someone comes around, perhaps scare off intruders.

My friend's neighbor is a Tica and she has a dog that was so skinny it was clear it was not eating enough. She and her husband got mad and had words with the Tica about it.

A neighbor's horse I know of looks like it's never fed. It was trying to eat stuff that normally a horse would not eat (a certain kind of grass that only cows eat).

I know Ticos don't have enough money to eat well themselves, sometimes. But if that's the case they have no business having pets imho. That said, I knew a gringa when I lived in the USA who also had 2 dogs and could barely afford to feed them. However, in her case, she fed the dogs, and suffered to eat well herself.

Some of the dogs I've seen in Costa Rica would bring a tear to the eye of a dog-hater.  What people don't realize is that "Pura Vida" actually means "I don't care".  I don't care if my dog barks all night, I don't care if it has 1000 ticks on it and starving, I don't care if my kids are running around a restaurant disturbing other guests, I don't care if I stop on the road to talk to my buddy while there are 10 cars behind me.  I just don't care.

thewizz wrote:

Some of the dogs I've seen in Costa Rica would bring a tear to the eye of a dog-hater.  What people don't realize is that "Pura Vida" actually means "I don't care".  I don't care if my dog barks all night, I don't care if it has 1000 ticks on it and starving, I don't care if my kids are running around a restaurant disturbing other guests, I don't care if I stop on the road to talk to my buddy while there are 10 cars behind me.  I just don't care.

This is the truth, one thing for sure lots of the bad customs of Tica's are very similar to the bad customs of the US in the 1950s.....IE barking dogs, poisoned dogs, trash, choking acrid smoke from burning fields.

Its a beautiful country but it lacks in so many other areas. Dogs treated very poorly, Trash in the rivers, Tico/Gringo prices, Horrid electric prices and grid, Corrupt Gov (Trump could take a lesson from the 1% in CR) and endless bureaucracy, 8hp scooters with gutted mufflers that make more noise than a 100hp sportbike, Paying 42 thousand dollars for a 20 thousand dollar side by side ATV, driving on a one lane road at 30kph then when it becomes two lanes the traffic immediately speeds up to 80kph so you can't pass etc.

Not saying I hate CR, just stating its not the Pura Vida experience one would expect from so much of the available information on the internet.

I just love the posts from The Wizz and Bottlefed - it is so true!!!!  When you are visiting on a holiday people think it's so "nice" to see this laid back lifestyle but try living in it day in and day out.  Problem is where else do you go - Mexico????  Everything isn't "perfect" in CR, but probably much better than some of the other places expats flock to.

Nowhere you go in the world outside of the USA or Canada, will things be the same as in the USA or Canada etc.

Any country you move to you will likely have to struggle to get used to the different ways they do certain things, the different cultural values and so on.

Some people find this easier to do than others. You have to examine for yourself if you are a person who tends to be flexible or one who hates change or things not going as expected. The flexible people will do better moving here to Costa Rica. There is a saying and a book "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff - (It's all small stuff!)". If you are a person who can learn not to sweat stuff, not to let stuff get you upset, then you'll do well moving to Costa Rica.

If on the other hand, you are Type A and think things should be a certain way, things should make sense, things should be done logically and efficiently... Costa Rica may be difficult for you to adjust to.

That's why we tell everyone to rent here first before moving.

And I say, also , don't go for legal residency right away. Wait at least 6 months or a year then apply.**

If you plan to drive after you get here, you will have to leave the country every 3 months anyway to renew your license, so it's just 2-4 more trips out of the country if you wait to file for residency.

**(There is one caveat to waiting to apply for residency later: you will have to coordinate a way to get all those documents you need from the USA later when you do apply. )