Moving a pet successfully to Costa Rica?

No, you cannot apply for your own import permit. If your dog is too large,(usually it is 100lbs + with kennel), travel unaccompanied or the airline does not offer the 'extra baggage option, your pet will need to be shipped as 'cargo' and will then require the use of a broker.

Check with Delta who allow dogs as extra baggage.

My dogs made it! We used a service. No American airlines will fly pet cargo out of Canada including United. We used a service called Worldwide Pet Travel and they were great but it was expensive. Because of the crate size 700 XXL we had to use three different airlines to make sure the planes all fit the crates! I am not sure I could have done this directly myself no matter what. The final plane they flew in on was DHL cargo.

Also ALL dogs coming into Costa Rica must go through the customs warehouse NOW, even if they fly as checked baggage. This is an old rule that is now being enforced so they can collect fees and taxes on all pets coming into CR. So everyone needs a customs broker and must pay fees and duty/taxes in Costa Rica. Also all dogs need an international health certificate which is endorsed by a government vet Canadian Food Inspection Agency Vet in canada. It was VERY expensive and a lot of hassle and work, but we did it!

Good luck everyone!

Thanks for this updated information...although it is not good news for those bringing in their pets, especially if it is just for a short time period.
While it is nice to have our pets with us, hope your cost was less than boarding your dogs at home ... and will you have to do this on their return trip?

My dogs are here permanently. We live here 1/2 the year and have a family that takes care of our house and dogs when we are not here. It would be crazy to do this back and forth but I have a friend who does it for his Rotweiller. He flies her on United from California and back regularly and has to go through a customs broker etc too. With all the fees taxes etc.  think it costs more for him to fly his dog than himself! Anyways it is what it is.

If you are using any airlines' "pet program" whether it is cargo or excess baggage (they mean different things, BTW), make sure when you make your reservations that they are not on a "partner airline" because their policies may be totally different (as I discovered -- e.g. United's PetSafe program does not apply if the flight you've booked with them is on TACA). Also, IF you are bringing your pets in as CARGO, make sure that your plane lands before the cargo department of your incoming airport (for me it was San Jose) CLOSES -- which in San Jose was 5 p.m. I had originally booked a flight that came in at 9 p.m. and NO ONE mentioned that my dogs would be stuck in cargo until they opened again in the morning. AND THEN ... because they were no longer considered traveling WITH me, they would have to be imported (which is an entire horrendous process that I don't want to get into). I was able to change my flight to American Airlines directly out of Miami (of course we drove from Phoenix to Miami to do this) and, because our dogs fit into a #500 crate AND the temp was below 85 on both take-off and landing (held my breath as I watched the AA boarding clerk check the weather report and write "83" on the dogs' paperwork - phew!!!)everything worked out for $175/each (not counting the vet and USDA expenses). Once we got to San Jose, the dogs arrived on the excess baggage belt and I just had to show their paperwork (too detailed to discuss here) and we were home free. But there was an entire month of huge stress beforehand -- I will eventually detail everything on my blog.

I would like to know about returning to the U.S.A. with your pet.  Can anyone tell me what happens after you get the proper documents from Costa Rica and get to the US customs.  Do they quarantine them?  I've heard bad stories about that, so am concerned.  Or do they get released right away?  Thanks for any help here.

I can't pass on, a personal experience, but know many who live here part time and take their pets back and forth, a few times  year. So as long as the paperwork is correct, I don't think you will encounter a problem.

Lots of time has past and was wondering if your enjoying it down there I was there for three months in 2010 and want to go back permanently in Dec 2014 . I have a dog and thought I might drive down all thought the taxes placed on car seem high do you know if you can be perpetual tourist with car and just leave country every 3 months so your not importing?

Hello!

Ali & Brian here! We are going to Costa Rica in 2 days, we will be there for the summer. We are traveling with our two dogs, one 60lb and a 30lb, we went through jet-a-pet. I am getting a bit nervous because it just hit me that our agent never asked for a return date for them  :blink:  I just assumed since we could not travel to CR without a return flight they couldn't either and assumed she would hold off on the return date (due to the blackouts for pet travel). We paid a little over $3000.00 and I am just wondering if this is a round trip or one way, I am freaking out!!! I sent her an email and probably will not hear from her until tomorrow morning.  Anyone have any recent experience on shipping dogs to and from CR??  :sosad:

I hate to say it but I would expect thats a one way price let us know! I hope I am wrong!!!

You are probably right. The airfare was $2010.00 alone. Just seems a bit high for a one way. One of my dogs is an 8 month old boxer mix and does not way more than 30lbs, if that.

We are relocating to Costa Rica with 4 dogs and were wondering if anyone has a place where we can rent travel crates for the 3 big dogs.  They are quite expensive and it would be a shame to make such a purchase for something we would only use 1 time.  Looking for a little help!

I have never seen any for rent, as the kennels would have to be returned to their original destination.
If the dogs are very large they may be required to travel as 'excess cargo', and that may involve having to use a broker, which can cost many  hundreds of dollars.Dog traveling as checked baggage must NOT exceed 100 lbs. when the weight of the pet, the kennel and its contents are combined
Check with your airlines regarding heat restrictions. American Airlines seem to be one of the best.

My husband and I just moved to Costa Rica with our three Chinese pugs, one Persian cat, and one tabby cat.  Persians and Pugs are not supposed to fly.  Thus, my husband and two of his friends drove to Costa Rica from Michigan, USA.  The journey was interesting, but safe and they made it in around 9.5 days.  I flew down two days ago with my cat flying Delta from Detroit to Atlanta to San Jose.  The cost for the pet on the flight was $125.00 for me.  We had to have special documents done by our vet and the USDA in East Lansing, MI, so the pets could cross the border(s), but the paperwork worked great.  They did not even ask my husband for the documents most of the borders.  We have also blogged about our journey, which you can read at costaricakurt.blogspot.com and haskellfamily.blogspot.com.  PURA VIDA.

Good to hear a report from someone who actually followed through with a road trip. Your info will help many, I'm sure.

Wow you drove to CR from Michigan and it was safe!!!  I would love to drive (coming from California) but everyone tells me its a real bad idea due to safety.  I would love to hear more about your trip if that's possible.  Driving would be the absolute best way to get my animals there if it is safe.  Hope to hear back!!!

Write me at [email protected] with any questions and I will have my husband write you back since he did the drive.  He would be happy to give you opinions on anything, and advice.

You can get the dog here for about $700. (and may God have mercy on the dogs soul).
Only kidding... I'd just like to warn you about having a dog in certain areas of Costa Rica.
We've had a little white dog in our development taken by a crock as it went too close to the river.
Another one was bitten by a snake and died.  If you are moving to a city type environment like Grecia etc., your dog has a better chance of surviving down here.  Don't take your dog up into the higher altitude and jungle areas, there are animals - reptiles - and insects that could end its life.

Do you recall the name of the broker that you used in Costa Rica?

Well, I wouldn't let that stop me from taking a dog to Costa Rica. I am originally from Alaska, and your dog can certainly get into trouble with moose, bears, etc. up there - but that doesn't keep anyone from having a dog. I had my Viszla in Costa Rica for 6 years, and he loved it.

It is a good idea to keep your dog away from riverbanks known to have crocodiles. Of course, it's a good idea for you to stay away from those areas as well!

If you are living in areas with a lot of poisonous snakes, you can buy antivenin and a syringe at an agricultural supply store for your dog, and keep it in your refrigerator. I also gave my dog a monthly wide spectrum anti-parasite pill (Interceptor).

Also, note that hardy short haired breeds that are used to tropical environments may do better than dogs with a long coat. Short coats also make it easy to spot fleas or ticks. For instance Rhodesian Ridgebacks seem to do well.

Sorry we only transported our small Papillon mix via air and he was allowed on the plane.  I ended up driving the three dogs to Costa Rica from California.

Do any Canadian have any info on the NEW health forms?

I just went to download the health certificate for my vet to fill out and now it looks like there is a new form on CFIA website for Costa Rica. It says the dogs must be treated for parasites within 15 days… just wondering if anyone has used this form or the old general form (which I used last year)…

We will be travelling with our Basset Hound as checked baggage on American Airlines from Vancouver to San Jose in a couple of weeks…!!!!

We just moved here with two cats and we did indeed need to use the new CIFA forms and also have the parasite treatment.  We did have the forms legalized in Ottawa and we breezed through Calgary, Dallas, and San Jose with no delays.  We flew American and they traveled in the cabin with us.
Cheers .... Terry

OK… I just successfully brought our 45 pound Basset with us to CR. We used the new CFIA forms. Saw the consulate in North Van to get it stamped… paid $175 to American Airlines… airline did not look at paperwork except very quickly. Our dog travelled as checked baggage (this is important!). He came in to the luggage area via special baggage door. We were able to greet him right away but could not open crate until out of terminal. We arrived at 8pm. The customs/iduanas official checked all the paperwork and filled out some forms and stamped some things. She did not look at my dog. My dog is now happily settled in CR.

Also I was told by CFIA that for my return in 6 months all I need is proof of rabies fax in Canada (which I already have from paperwork to get here!)…

Total cost Canada to CR: $175 to airline for transport, $60 to vet for forms $20 CFIA, $45 consular fees.

There you have it!

If only BIG dogs were so easy... :sosad:

Moving a pet to Costa Rica can be extremely dangerous, depending on where you plan to live.  If you plan to live in downtown Grecia etc. they should be okay.  If you plan to put the dog in a tropical jungle environment, they could get bitten by a snake or encounter animals which would attack them.  It is sometimes better to adopt a Tico dog once you are here.  A lady in the development next to us walked too close to the river with her poodle and a crock took it, nearly pulling her into the water when she didn't want to let go of the leash.

Sorry but I don't agree… yes there are dangers here but there are dangers everywhere… I had a dog get shot in Canada by a neighbour who thought she was being aggressive toward his goat. He was protected by livestock laws. My friend had a dog eat poison in Canada that the neighbours had put out to kill rats. Yes I know of a dog who was killed by a crocodile but I also know many dogs that live full and happy lives in Costa Rica. The dangers are different here for people and for dogs. It is wise to be aware of them but there is no need to live in fear. ps we live in the jungle!

I can understand some people love their dogs and want to take them everywhere they go, I get that.
''But" having a crazy neighbor with a gun is a one in a million situation, where in Costa Rica "having a snake or crock etc." in your environment can be an every day way of life.  A rare black Doberman was bitten by a snake and died, he walked right up to it as he didn't realize the dangers.  Anyway! people are taking a big gamble putting an animal into an environment it knows nothing about, and is ten times more dangerous than the one it's been living in.  Good luck

Thanks for all the info .. I'm planning to move to CR from Mexico with my 30 kg Xolo.

You would abandon your dog in CR because it's too hard to fly back with him. Harsh.

stuartimillar wrote:

We brought our dog Gus, 30 ish pounds of Wheaten Terrier, to Costa Rica.  It was definitely a tiresome process but it happened one way or another and he's here.

We made sure he was all up to date on rabies and other shots then took him for a vet check a few days before he was going to fly to get his health certificate.  This was in Fort Myers, FL.  We then had to take the certificate from the vet to the USDA office near Miami airport for authentication and final approval (This would have been a big wrinkle for us if we weren't flying out of Miami as we hadn't bargained on this part of the process).  Then he flew as checked baggage in a crate.  This was with American Airlines.  The temp. was close to the 85 but we were ok on the day.  We picked an early am flight for this reason.  The crate came up the conveyor belt in San Jose airport with the golf clubs and other oversize items.  We then went through the normal customs channel as we always do when we arrive, no customs away from the airport.

Because we were flying with him and because of his size we could fly him as part of our baggage allowance.  I think if he was bigger or he went as cargo, or without us, it would have been a lot harder.

It worked out and we are sure we're here to stay.  But if we don't stay...I think Gus will.  I think him flying and us navigating the paperwork was a one shot deal.

Your dog will be much happier if you take him with you to Costa Rica. I have had two dogs that I have brought to CR from the US over a period of 12 years and they have both been just fine. We hiked through the jungle, swam in the ocean, and they had a blast. My first dog (a Viszla) spent most of his life in Costa Rica, and lived to be 14 1/2 years old. The chances of anything bad happening to your dogs is very low. There are also some very good veterinarians to help you should your dog have any problems, and they are much less expensive than in the US.

We brought our dogs with us to CR, and it hasn't been a problem, just very expensive, with paperwork, special carriers, and airline pet fee.  Granted, they are all under 20 lbs, so they rode with us in the cabin, under the seat, on JetBlue (which allows them to earn FF miles, pretty funny).  Vet fees are also much less expensive here than in the States.  Make sure you go to a local pet store/vet (often in the same building) and get a dose of atropine in case of a run-in with one of the dreaded deadly frogs.  They will sell them to you very cheaply to have on hand, since it has to be administered very quickly if needed.

There is a paper posted by the US Embassy.   It states an import certificate is only necessary if the owner of the dog does not fly on the same flight as the one the dog is on.  another reader on this forum states this has now changed.  who knows.  but if you already here in CR, go online to the US Embassy website and request a phone call or an appointment.    I am bringing my dog back at the end of April 2015.  I will post my experience ( hopefully successful ) on my return to CR

If the dog is flying on the same flight, but is large and traveling as 'cargo' they do require a permit and a broker.
More info here

My basset has spent 6 happy months here and we are bringing him back to canada to two weeks. He will be flying American as checked baggage. Canada customs told me all they need is proof of rabies vax. My Great Danes have been here one and half years and they are also very happy! The Danes are staying in CR. Pura vida.

Just another update. My basset hound came back with us to Canada for 6 months and we just did his paperwork again and came back to Costa Rica. Again we flex American with our basset as a checked bag. No trouble. He is doing well back in his CR home.

Our Great Danes have now been living in CR for your 2 years and are also doing well.

Pura vida

Need to move two dogs & have found so much conflicting information.  any help would be appreciated .  One weighs 24 lbs, the other 14.

First you should check with your carrier of choice.
These smaller dogs are easy...and they may be able  both be checked as 'excess baggage' (depending on airlines) or the smaller one if under 20lb. including crate, can travel in-cabin with you..

Thanks to all who have contributed here - such a lot of info covering so much.

Just want to state here, I'm guessing it is safe to assume we can work it out to bring our small parrot in his cage on board a flight as well as our Standard Poodle. Yes, I see there are lots of details to iron out, but there is no "no birds" rule, I assume.

So daughter and I are coming down in March to visit 3 private schools and check out long-term rentals near the school or schools she likes best. Lots to learn - forum and YouTubes helpful.

VERY True about the poison antidote atropine...
6 years ago I lost my favorite little dog Pebbles who just SNIFFED a damn frog and died very quickly .
I RARELY see a frog on my farm,  but did that day..
I shot the "scumfrog"..I was so angry at losing my "baby".Thanks for reminding me to be prepared ..That also goes for evil neighbors who may not like dogs even non barking ones, and make them die a slow cruel death by putting insecticide on a little meat or sausage and tossing onto your property,That happened to a friend of mine ...broke his heart as he watched both die SLOWLY..  so BUY it ,I will. It must be injected within 20 minutes ..,