The other side of the Salvadoran postcard

Hi,

As a tourist in a foreign country, very often, we are enchanted with what we discover.

Living abroad is different. It's a rich experience but there are also some difficulties to face.

When people ask me for advice on living abroad, I then tend to say that one should also look at both sides of the postcard.

As an expat in El Salvador, how would you describe the two sides of your Salvadoran postcard?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Julien

it is good for me, I moved there in 1994, at age 40 met a goal, just stuck back here in this sick sad USA with family, Mom's matters and then death from the sick health care system, but back again soon, to work and play and be healthier

My wife and I retired here in El Salvador in November of 2011. The positive side of my post card is :
El Salvador is a very beautiful country with a lot of opportunity.
My wife and I enjoyed the experience of  designing and watching our home being built from the ground up.
It is great to wake up every morning to warm weather, fresh air, the birds singing and the beautiful plants and flowers.
We have been able to travel and see many interesting and beautiful sites that El Salvador has to offer, we are a short drive away from the beach or we can be in the mountains, where the climate is cooler, in about an hour.
I have built a blog site and I have been able to write many articles on El Salvador. This is something I enjoy very much.
On the negative side of my post card:
Getting things you need  done through the system is very slow and it seems they always want something such as paperwork that makes no sense to me most of the time it has nothing to do with what you are applying for or it is something they could get from their computer.
They cut your power off one day a month, they say they are making improvements, but we still have power surges and loss of power when there is heavy winds.
you usually have to wait in long lines at the bank. 
I have to say that for me the positives by far outweigh the negatives, I love El Salvador and really enjoy living here. 

Thank you,
Hugh