Criminal Background Checks

Hello,

I'm applying for work as was asked by one company to supply a copy of my criminal background check.  I'm an American so this is might be a bit of an ordeal?

I read that if you've been in Vietnam for 6 months you can/must get a background check here.  I've been here for 12 months, but I've lived in multiple cities during that time and I left the country for two weeks in December.  Should I be getting a background check here, or going through the FBI?  I haven't been in one city here for more than about 5 months consecutively, but technically I've "lived" in Vietnam and no place else for 1 year.

Any advice from those with experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Mike,

You can go to the Judicial Office, 141-143 Pasteur District 3. You are requested to bring your passport, the red book of the place you are staying in VN, at least 6 months  and the copy of each document. You will have to fill in a form as well. If you need this form, pls inbox your email, I will share to you later)

The cost is 200,000 VND, you will have to pay this in advance after you submit the document.

They will give you a notice which mentions the date you can receive the criminal record. Don't forget to bring your passport when you get it.

Ask the employer exactly what they want.

Crazy Buffalo wrote:

Hi Mike,

You can go to the Judicial Office, 141-143 Pasteur District 3. You are requested to bring your passport, the red book of the place you are staying in VN, at least 6 months  and the copy of each document. You will have to fill in a form as well. If you need this form, pls inbox your email, I will share to you later)

The cost is 200,000 VND, you will have to pay this in advance after you submit the document.

They will give you a notice which mentions the date you can receive the criminal record. Don't forget to bring your passport when you get it.

Thanks for this information.

Regarding the red book... I stayed 6 months in an apartment in HCMC last year, 1.5 months at a hotel in Sa Pa, another 1.5 months at second hotel in Sa Pa, 1 month in another apartment in HCMC, and I'm moving back to my old apartment in HCMC in a week on a 6 month lease.  Will it be a problem that I've lived in so many places?  Should I get the red book for the apartment I'm moving back to long-term next week?

landlord should help you. make sure landlord has permit to rent out. i have to move again because live same place longer than 6months only to find out he not have permit to rent. this means if police find out i could be tossed out.

Yeah... As my understanding, you should have at least 6 months living in SG...If you stay at too many places at the short time, it will take more time for you to get the criminal record...:)

Yeah, it's true that as a foreigner you need a "Justice Record" either from your home country or from here if you living more than 6 months to get a work permit. If you cannot obtain it from your country, you can fetch it from here if you satisfy the proceedings for the same. Which means, you should register the local police station where your residence. From your case I think you didn't register because you stayed many places. If that is the case it may be difficult to obtain the certificate from here. Then you should bring it from your home country.

I am in a similar situation...

I start my new job next weekend and I think it is likely that they will ask me for my background check however I have only been living in Sai Gon since early December 2013 and prior to this I was living in Thailand for 2 years... it may mean a trip back to Thailand for me to obtain this certificate... I hope not though! :)

No, Thailand Certificate is not acceptable for you as you are a UK citizen.
You should obtain it from UK, I think.

Xaviar84 wrote:

I start my new job next weekend and I think it is likely that they will ask me for my background check however I have only been living in Sai Gon since early December 2013 and prior to this I was living in Thailand for 2 years... it may mean a trip back to Thailand for me to obtain this certificate... I hope not though! :)

charmavietnam wrote:

No, Thailand Certificate is not acceptable for you as you are a UK citizen.
You should obtain it from UK, I think.

Xaviar84 wrote:

I was under the understanding that should you be living in Vietnam for over 6 months then a background check has to be provided from Vietnam, if under 6 months you have to provide one from your last place of residence.. I have not been living in the UK for two years as I have been living in Thailand...

Hi There,

Crazy Buffalo's post is the best answer, but, it is not necessary to have a "Red Book."
Anywhere you are staying, however long or short, your landlord, upon your request is
legally obliged to fill out a form to declare that you are resident at that address. Also it
doesn't need to be a rental place - could be a friend. This form is then endorsed at the
local police station. Cost? Free. You take the original to show plus a copy, your copy
of passport and original passport. Fill in the form, pay the 200 000 and collect about
4 weeks later. Absolutely no problem, unlesssssssssssssssss you committed a crime!

Hi George Graham > Thank you for your post. Just to let you know that this thread is inactive since 5 years.