How does a Non-Catholic Expat marry a Catholic Vietnamese in a church?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to marry a Catholic Vietnamese girl in her local church in HCMC as a "Non-Catholic" foreigner. She has been advised by the reverend at her local church that I must obtain a letter for any church outside of Vietnam stating that they give me permission to marry in a catholic church anywhere within Vietnam.

Has anyone out there had a similar experience?
Does anyone know the correct process for this situation?

When looking at the law/procedures on the Vatican website, nowhere does it mention that a formal letter is needed to be presented between churches to approve a marriage between a Non-Catholic to a Catholic. It is down to the reverend at the local church to make that call as per the instructions on the Vatican website.

Can anybody help me understand if I have missed something here?

Cheers
Brian

If she is a devout Catholic, go and see her priest and get the word from the horses mouth. It shouldn't be a big deal. You will prolly have to become a catholic (at least on paper). If anyone starts talking about sums of money which are more than pocket change, bail out fast.

I was a Catholic, many years ago and married a Buddhist girl here in Vietnam. There were no issues.

Thanks Eodmatt,

I've spoken to the reverend and he has passed the buck up to the senior church official who intern passed the buck straight back at him.

The family of the girl won't accept conversion of religion just to get the paperwork and approval from the church. They obviously want it to be for the right reasons.

It's a catch 22 for me as no officials from the Catholic Church want to take responsibility and make the call without this mysterious letter from a church outside the country. This is not even a requirement from the Vatican so I am at a complete loss on what to do next.  :(

Thanks
Brian

Check this one out:  http://www.aboutcatholics.com/beliefs/c … -catholic/  One requirement is that the non-catholic must be at least baptized which may explain the request for a letter from another church.  If you are not baptized, as a Protestant or some other Christian religion, you must obtain an express dispensation from the local bishop.  This may be what the local priest is trying to avoid.  You also may be required to sign a statement that you will allow your children to be raised as Catholics.  Of course you can't be divorced either.

I couldn't imagine all this in any Western country, even Italy, but you need to remember that the Catholic church in Vietnam has historically had an adversarial relationship with the majority religion of Buddhism.  That oppressive position was eliminated in 1976.

Remember too that religious marriage, Catholic or Buddhist,  has absolutely no legal status in Vietnam.   To be legally married, you must be married at the Justice Dept as well.  I am sure the requirements for that have been detailed extensively on this site.

eodmatt wrote:

I was a Catholic, many years ago and married a Buddhist girl here in Vietnam. There were no issues.

Your marriage may not be recognized by the Catholic church but somehow I think that is not really an issue for you.   :cheers:

Thanks THIGV,

Express disposition is precisely the issue that the local priest is avoiding and refusing to accept that it is his responsibility to provide this under Catholic law.

Asking a non-Catholic to obtain a letter from a Catholic Church outside of Vietnam, to marry inside Vietnam, is like asking a random company you have never worked for, to provide you a reference letter to prove you are suitable for employment. 

I suppose the easy way is to go knocking on church doors and finding at least one priest willing to allow the marriage to take place.  :top:

Cheers
Brian

My guess was that express disposition from bishop is what the priest is trying to avoid.  I suspect that the local priest knows the bishop is a cranky and intolerant old man and does not want to involve him knowing what the response will be.  The letter is his way, albeit a little strange, to avoid involving the bishop.   From his point of view he may be trying to help you out.

THIGV wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

Your marriage may not be recognized by the Catholic church but somehow I think that is not really an issue for you.   :cheers:

You are absolutely correct. But of course this doesn't help the OP who is in between a rock and a hard place.

Given that this is Vietnam and that there is a requirement for a bit of paper (don't dismiss this out of hand entirely).....

I am an ordained Minister of the Church of the Latter Day Dude (really, no kidding): http://dudeism.com

I can give you a certificate of baptism or whatever, free of charge if that will help.

I'll take that as a no, then.  :)

Thanks for the offer  :top:

I will keep it in mind should all else fail  :D

Cheers
Brian

No worries.

If I were you, I would consider undergoing the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults.  Your marriage would not be considered valid and therefore consummation would be a mortal sin, unless you became Catholic. If her faith matters to her and her family, then convert.

Good news is that today I met with a senior priest at a church in D3. He spoke perfect English and has assured me he will seek advice from his superiors as my case was a little different from the norm.

Lets wait and see what happens.

Cheers
Brian

Good luck, Brian!

Brian - Have you offered a 'donation' to the parish leader like a free scooter with angel handle bars or something similar ?

I started going down that train of thought prior to my meeting today and it turns out the priest already has something similar...  :top:

let's hope he doesn't ask for an upgrade  ;)

Can you elaborate on your ability to provide baptized paperwork?? Im in a similar situation as OP, and this is essentially all I need

eodmatt wrote:
THIGV wrote:
eodmatt wrote:

You are absolutely correct. But of course this doesn't help the OP who is in between a rock and a hard place.

Given that this is Vietnam and that there is a requirement for a bit of paper (don't dismiss this out of hand entirely).....

I am an ordained Minister of the Church of the Latter Day Dude (really, no kidding): http://dudeism.com

I can give you a certificate of baptism or whatever, free of charge if that will help.

Can you elaborate on your ability to provide baptized paperwork?? Im in a similar situation as OP, and this is essentially all I need

PineappleCoconut wrote:

This post is over a year old and the poster has not posted in 7 months, he might not reply.