Iowa to Belize?!

Hi! I'm a freshman in college in Iowa and frankly, I'm bored. A friend and I have been looking at places to move (for short term, probably less than a year) that would be inexpensive as we are both just college kids. We just got back from a vacation to California and can't seem to let go of that gorgeous weather! We really just need somewhere to sleep for several months, nothing fancy or extravagant. We've noticed that Belize seems to have much lower costs of living than the US does and that's very appealing to us. My question for you guys is where should a couple of cheap college kids be looking to live? We would like to spend less than $400 (USD) total for rent per month, if possible. One bedroom or two. Where should we be looking for housing? Where are the least expensive places? Also, is there really any way to make money while living in Belize as an "expat"? I've heard that you really can only start up your own business. As an 18 year old, I don't have much experience with starting businesses or really any good ideas for one.

I'm also just looking for any tips or advice anyone that either lives in Belize or has been there or even just knows anything about the location would have for us. We're just looking for our next adventure and a break from this American lifestyle and we're hoping Belize might be it!

Hi libbby!

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Armand
Expat.com Team

Stay in College, get your degree, then come to Belize

4evrHawk wrote:

Stay in College, get your degree, then come to Belize

i'm really interested in traveling a bit just to get a feel for the world before i decide what i even want to go to school for. i'm just wasting money being an open major right now because i have absolutely no idea what i want to do. besides, from what i've read, there's nothing i would want a degree for in belize. not to mention the debt i'll be in after i graduate. i don't want to be paying off my debt and not using my degree and living outside of the country.

;) unless you have unlimited funds ( or have parents that are willing to fund your adventure ) moving to Belize for an extended period is not a wise option.  Yes, you can open a business, but you said you had limited experience, again that would be a very expensive option.  You would not be able to get a loan to start a business.  You cannot work without a work permit and those are limited to fields that would not take jobs away from Belize citizens.  You cannot even do volunteer work with a work permit.  You have to be in country for a full year in order to apply for permanent residency status....and then it sometimes takes several months to actually be granted permanent residency.  Depending on your funds the best option is to come for a short visit to see if you even like it here.  It is a wonderful place but certainly not for everyone....good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Hey libbby. I second what "bznorte" has to say. You can't work here (although I'm not certain that you need a work permit to do volunteer-work), and there's only so much time that you can spend at the beach, so I think you and your friend would get bored pretty quickly. Several months ago I met a young woman from the U.S. whose situation was similar to yours (ie. she was taking a year off from college), and she was doing grant-writing for a not-for-profit located in Punta Gorda (Toledo district). I think that the name of the non-profit was REEF. In any case, doing volunteer-work sounds like your best option--you would be getting some experience outside of Iowa and no doubt your college (and any graduate schools should you decide to go to graduate school)  will look favorably on the fact that you did something worthwhile. So, as bznorte suggests, come for a short-visit to scope out the country and try to link up with a non-profit.

Good luck!

Well I can a least feed you when you arrive, good luck

try WWOOF _ willing workers on organic farms - there is a network of gardens and farms you can work on in Belize (and around the world) where you work four hours on week days in exchange for all weeks room and board. sometimes the placement lasts for months. good luck -from a former Iowan

youtube.com/watch?v=dugNlr4J42E

above: here is a video on a wwoof experience in Belize  - for other info look up wwoof website