Young professional moving to PR

Hello everyone!

I too want to relocate to PR!

Please provide any advice on finding a "good" job. I currently work in the financial services industry, and I have sales experience also. I know that the unemployment rate is high in PR, and that finding a job will be difficult.

I do speak Spanish fluently (I know being bilingual is nothing special since the people there are too)
I lived in DR before (I'm familiar with comparably rough conditions high crime, and poverty). Just saying, since I know that's what people are going to warn me about...

I just want to live in a place where Spanish is the primary language. I'm a young adventurous soul and fighter. I so desperately miss living in the Caribbean, but still would like to be within the US... for now.

Please tell me about your experiences (good & bad!), recommend cities or campos, how can I find a job there?
My plan is to learn about PR and it's history, politics, and culture and apply to jobs before I move. I plan to move in June with 6 months worth of $$ to live while I still look for jobs if I haven't found one by then.

Please help! Thanks :)

Hi, Merenguera. What do you do in financial services? Are you a trader? If so, I have a friend who is a trader for UBS. I could forward your resume to him. That said...

I understand your desire to move to PR because it is basically the same as was my own. But keep in mind that young professionals on the island are emigrating in droves because they cannot find work there. So your chances of getting a job that would form part of a career are slim to none.

For a professional-level job, you would have to live in the SJ area. I've posted extensively on the pros and cons of different neighborhoods in the SJ area on here many times. Try browsing through my post history and you will easily find my recommendations.

Best of luck.

I worked in finance before moving from DC and do now... it took me 5-6 months to find my first job here in 2008/09, and I was bi-lingual with an advanced degree. I was making almost half what I made prior to moving.

I have done better since then and was able to get back to where I was (salary-wise) before the move, 3-4 years (and another job) later.

All the jobs are in the metro area (SJ or nearby). I don't like the city, so I choose to commute, but its not for everyone. The daily "tapon" is a nightmare.

NomadLawyer,
Thanks for the feedback. I am not a trader. I work in entry level account management at a financial services firm.

Fond of Ibiza,

Thanks for the feedback! I also live in DC currently. How were you able to find your first job? What resources did you use?

clasificadosonline dot com and monster/indeed dot com are useful

Both my jobs I got through local agencies:
-Brenda Marerro (General Professionals)
-Careers Inc (Finance/ Banking Focused Firm)

Google them and post your resume, that's what I did. I didnt have any local connections here. Also keep in touch with your DC contacts, my old boss from DC moved to a new firm (4 years later) and they set up shop here and made me an offer, which I rejected, but that goes to show how important your connections can be.  So, tell them where you are going before you leave, and keep up regular contact.

What I miss most about DC is the metro, being forced to own a car is one of the most expensive things about living here. When I lived there, I was in the Petworth/Columbia Heights area, about two blocks from the green line (Petworth). My wife misses the food (lots of options for dinning out).

Thanks for the info Fond of Ibiza! Much needed.