Networking with other expats

Anyone care to network with me? I live in Praia, Santiago. I've been to all the other islands. I know lots of people including government ministers and agency heads. I know where to get anything and everything - very often, things you need are not advertised or locals do not know where to get them (if they've never had a need for such items).

Let me know if you have any questions or need anything.

hello i am coming to cape varde i we sure need job.i have 5 years sales experience in sale and marketing,i have attend international conference in demarke 2009,working in largest breweries in Africa,.

Hi Akinsome,

It amazes me how many people want to leave large African countries with millions of employed to come to one of the tiniest countries in Africa to look for work. The total population here is 1/2 million. Half of those are children. Unemployment is over 30%. So you can imagine, there are not too many jobs here.

Notwithstanding, let me directly address your question. There aren't many "sales" jobs here because culturally, the "hard sell" approach is a no-no. I don't think I have ever once met a formally trained "salesperson" here in Cabo Verde. There are thousands of street peddlers and market vendors, but they have zero selling skills. Of course, we all know that we are all individually always selling all the time. So your experience would certainly be helpful to you in effectively performing a job, but not in getting one. Marketing is a definite career track here. However, only 3% of all the businesses here in Cabo Verde are large enough to be able to have a marketing department. So it's unlikely you'd find an opening in that area (excess supply versus low demand). But again, your experience could be helpful in performing a job.

Given it's small size, the best way to make a living in Cabo Verde is to start your own business. Be your own employer. To try to find a job among the small number of larger companies located here is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Finally, if you cannot speak PORTUGUESE which is the official language spoken here, your chance of being hired for any job, regardless of how menial, is exactly ZERO. And if you start your own business, you won't be able to communicate with people who could be clients, so your business would be unsuccessful.

Do you speak Portuguese, or Krioulo (the local dialect derived from Portuguese)? If not, you should not be thinking of coming to Cabo Verde to look for work or to start a business.

Angelo

i can speak Portuguese,unemployment is universal  proble,all what i know is skill and grace we surely tell,thank ,if you can help in any regard i we be ,happy thanks

Hi, do you know some coworking space (shared office) with good internet connect in Praia for remote working? Thanks a lot.

traveler159753 wrote:

Hi, do you know some coworking space (shared office) with good internet connect in Praia for remote working? Thanks a lot.

For how long? These types of "shared office" space is typically not available in Praia except informally or on a longer term basis.

I am aware of one informal opportunity, and one formal service (but I'd have to check with them on your behalf to see if they'd be willing to do this for a short term (and the monthly price they charge is quite reasonable at about €150).

Send me a private message if you'd like contact details.

Hi CVAngelo, thank you for your answer. I'm looking for coworking space for at least one person for about month or two. But there is no rush, I will need it probably next year in february/march. I'll send you private message when I will know the exact date of arrival. Perhaps it will be opened some new public cowork space until that time. It is quite popular now.

traveler159753 wrote:

Hi CVAngelo, thank you for your answer. I'm looking for coworking space for at least one person for about month or two. But there is no rush, I will need it probably next year in february/march. I'll send you private message when I will know the exact date of arrival. Perhaps it will be opened some new public cowork space until that time. It is quite popular now.

Ok. Feel free to message me when you are ready. As I said, there's no market for this in Praia but I am aware of one space that may rent you an office for a month or two whenever you are ready...but I suspect that space will no longer be available in 2016. The other spot is something that I could possibly get for you as a favor so it's not a sure thing.

Private message me when you are ready to act and I will check again at that time.

Angelo