Fabric stores/whole sellers near Riyadh Gallery

Hello~

Does anyone know where I can find a fabric shop near Gallery? Or anywhere else for that matter? I have a dress that I took to a tailor to get altered and the woman didn't do it the way we had discussed. I need to get some additional fabric so it can be altered correctly to be wearable. I need straps added to a strapless dress and she didn't make them the right way or in the right location so it has to be completely redone now.

Any help for locations would be great. And on a related note anyone know where I can find a female tailor that speaks English?

Thanks~

Samantha

Yes, I'm looking for the same thing. Had posted my message here.

Could you tell me how much she charged to have the straps added, and where you went? There are a few places in Wurood area, so I don't know if you went there. Saudi-owned female tailor places are overpriced.

You will be hard pressed to find someone who speaks English unless you can find someone here who is from India or the Philippines.

Also, you will find that there is a lot of miscommunication when it comes to alterations. Many tailors tend to focus on their own preconceived ideas rather than what you are actually telling them! I had a perfectly beautiful blouse ruined once. Unless you have an exact picture (not even a sketch), I'd save my important alterations for your home country.

I'm over in the Yarmook area. The woman was from SE Asia I think. She was supposed to take the bodice in, add straps and remove about 3 inches off the hem. For that, she charged 70 riyals. I gave her 3 weeks to do it. I went in a couple of days before we had agreed it would be done by to check how it was going and to do a fitting. She hadn't even started it yet. She called me two days later to say it was finished. She hadn't done half the work. The straps she put on were too narrow and in the wrong position, they run off the side of my chest into my underarms. They make my large bodice look even larger. The marks she drew on the back of the dress where the bodice needed to be taken are still there, but the bodice is tighter so I'm not sure what she did there. The hem is what really bothers me. The measure line she chalked in is still there. The back hem is the original one from the manufacturer. On the front hem all she did was roll it up about 1/4 of inch and do a straight seam along it. The dress is basically unwearable for me, as I need to have straps on it to cover my bra, and I can't walk in it without tripping.  Oh her answer to why she didn't do it correctly is that the "fabric was broken". I should wear a strapless bra and hold the dress up while I walk. If either of those was a possibility in the first place I wouldn't have needed her to fix it.

I haven't had any luck here with tailors in Saudi. I needed the dress altered to wear it to one of the formal embassy events, now I don't know what I'm going to be able to wear.