English primary schools in Sal or Boavista?

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any schools (primary or secondary that offer instruction in English. Please advise.

Also it would be nice if someone can start a list of schools in Cape Verde.

-Thanks you

are you native speaker?
what do you think about teaching in vietnam?

Education is practically expanding in Cape Verde.
I can tell you, there is a good future to that. Investors are welcomed to invest in anyway to improve the performance of the educational system in cape verde.
English is rarely used in cape verde, and that's why I will advise you to set up your own curriculum and target as you may want it.
You can set up your own school and its very cheap to register a business in Cape Verde.
The government are not corrupt, and they encourage every investor from all sectors.
For me, you have made a nice decision, and also Sal and Boa Vista is a nice location.
Praia in Santiago Island is the capital city with most of the country population, followed by Mindelo in Sao Vincent.
Boa vista and Sal are known for it Tourist destination, and has allot of attractions.
I live in cape verde, sometimes traveling to Senegal and Gambia for business.
You are highly welcomed. Reach me anytime you need me. I will be there for futher assistance.

Take care.
Jay Jay.

Hi Mr. Higgins,

Many of the public schools offer instruction in English but the quality of the instruction is not very good. Anyone seriously interested in learning English will look to private instructors. However, because the average Cape Verdean is financially poor, most will not be able to pay for such instruction. So they are stuck with the inadequate instruction in the public schools.

At one time, the US Peace Corps offered free English classes and some of the volunteers taught English at the local University in Santiago. There is also a couple businesses that offer English instruction to business and government workers for a significant fee. But that is here in Praia and there was one such service in Mindelo (but I believe they are no longer in business). I'm not sure about what is available on the smaller islands. Probably nothing since the other islands are too poor and there would be only a handful of interested residents/businesses.

If you are thinking of starting a business to teach English, it will be quite challenging since: 1) there is not as much interest in English as there is in other languages spoken in Europe; 2) there is little disposable income here so unless you are doing this in the capital, clients and local businesses with the capacity to pay will be hard to find for extended periods. You might get an initial crop of students, but will this be a sustainable business - that is the question . But you should do your own market research.

As far as a listing of schools is concerned, the only practical source for compiling such a listing is the Ministry of Education. Unfortunately, the ministry does not actually publish a listing of the schools under its domain. But there is one listing of secondary schools which happens to be available from the ministry only because they attempted to publish a list of CONTACTS at the various secondary schools across the country. You can find the listing here (see the second table in the document):

List of Secondary Schools (along with the contact numbers)

In their wisdom, as a typical government agency, they did not see it fit to also publish a list of contact of the PRIMARY schools.

Cheers,

Angelo

rhiggins wrote:

Hi,

I would like to know if there are any schools (primary or secondary that offer instruction in English. Please advise.

Also it would be nice if someone can start a list of schools in Cape Verde.

-Thanks you

we are looking for english teacher at the moment
if you are intersted in such a job
why not email me via " [email protected]"

You realize you are on the Cape Verde board, right? You do realize that English is NOT the native language here, correct? You are also highly unlikely to find someone here who speaks English AND is willing to uproot all the way to Vietnam to teach English. Or am I missing something?

You would be much better off asking expats on the Vietnam boards if they would be interested.

Good luck,

Angelo

vanluyentchl wrote:

we are looking for english teacher at the moment
if you are intersted in such a job
why not email me via " [email protected]"